"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb
Old 10-21-2006, 10:35 PM   #1
Senior Cook
So I Bought This Boneless Leg Of Lamb...

got it from Sam's club. I'm tired of beef, chicken, and fish... i cook them all the time. so today, i bought a boneless leg of lamb from sam's club-a brand they are promoting from the new zealand lamb co-op.

i'm NOT real good with lamb... so anybody have any recipes, suggestions, etc.?

black chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:46 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I make slits in the meat and put whole or halved garlic cloves in.
Then make a mixture of lemon juice, olive oil, minced onion, salt, pepper
and oregan and rub on the lamb. Bake lamb basting with the juice as often as poss. I do it every 15 minutes or so. Peel some potatoes and roast along with the meat.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
Head Chef
I would do pretty much as pdswife said but would add some rosemary. It goes very well with lamb.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:29 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
You could cut it into cubes and make shish kebob.

As it's boned, you could unroll it and stuff it. Make a light stuffing of chopped parsly, garlic, rosemary, olive oil and lemon zest. Reroll it and roast it. Cook it as you would beef, rare, medium rare, etc.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:38 AM   #5
Master Chef
I absolutely love lamb. It has just a hint of that same gaminess found in venison, goat, and other members of that animal family. It has the texture of pork, but is more lean and succulent, and is tender.

Fruit juices such as orange, or apple also go well with lamb, as do the afore-mentioned rosemary, oregano, sage, etc. Sage and cracked black pepper make a wonderful combination with lamb all by themselves.

Lamb is great under the broiler, on the grill, or roasted in the oven. Cook until just a hint of pink is showing (about 145 degrees).

I dont like using mint for two reasons, first and formost, I hate mint! 2nd, I think mint overpowers the natural goodness of the lamb.

And that's my 2 cents worth.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 01:03 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Goodweed - I really wished you liked lamb!!!!!

I hate mint with lamb too - for the very (second) reason you do - I love mint but HATE it with lamb - who would want to cover up that wonderful flavor?????

mmmmm - tomorrow might be a lamb day! And you are right about apples - I love to saute apples in butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon - excellent with lamb as long as I don't use my rosemary pesto/Dijon coating - it just doesn't go with that! lol

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:09 AM   #7
Sous Chef
I mean ... really! Who on earth came up with the mint jelly idea? Whose demented idea of brilliant was that?!

Sometimes I compare the lamb of my childhood with that bright green shaking blob next to it ... and the lamb of my adulthood, fresh off the charcoal with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice

And I wonder!
XeniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 03:57 AM   #8
Executive Chef
Agreed. That mint jelly stuff is EVIL. But, traditional British mint sauce with lamb is YUM. Freshly chopped mint leaves, some sugar, vinegar and pour over some boiling water. Leave to cool. Heaven with a traditional roast lamb dinner with all the trimmings!
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:02 AM   #9
Sous Chef
Hmmm, this intriques me! I'd be willing to keep the door of my skepticism open a crack momentarily:

Do I need instructions other than what you've given, Ishbel, or shall I just wing it on quantities, etc.?
XeniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:07 AM   #10
Sous Chef
"I mean ... really! Who on earth came up with the mint jelly idea? Whose demented idea of brilliant was that?!"
Opps! I must be the only one who likes mint with Lamb, I agree that Rosemary is a must though.

attie is offline   Reply With Quote