So I want to try lamb...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you guys for all your great responses! Like I said about trying it in a resturant, the only reason is because if I don't like it I'm gonna go hungry lol:(

All the recipies sound great! Gonna try one of the more simple ones so that I'll know whether or not I'll even like the taste. From what everyone is saying tho, seems safe to be a bit rare. I was just afraid of it being dangerous if it was undercooked.

I'll let you all know how it turns out later this weekend :clap:

Well, I am now officially a fan of lamb :w00t: I picked up a chop and threw it on the grill along with the ribs I was cooking yesterday. Didn't even put anything on it, just trimmed it a bit and threw it on. The juices reignited the charcoal so I got a nice little bit of crisp on the edges. Went about 4 or 5 minutes on each side. Wow! Yummy :D So much cheaper than beef too. Paid 2$ for what would have cost 5$ or 6$ for the same weight of beef. Now if I can find some other cuts I'll try some more recipies. Thanks guys :clap:

Somewhere, deep in the archives, is an Easter thread and my favorite lamb recipe. I'll look for it later - right now it's off to roast some red/yellow/orange peppers for my fish stew.

Found it. This is a recipe I made up when I wanted ALL my favorite flavors with my lamb!

LEG OF LAMB WITH ROSEMARY/MUSTARD PESTO (sort of)

5-6# leg of lamb
1/2 cup dijon mustard
1 TBS soy sauce
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 cup olive oil
3-4 branches of rosemary with leaves stripped off
fresh thyme with leaves stripped off (5-6 branches - depending on size)
2 cloves garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or toasted walnuts or pecans

1. Toast pine nuts, walnuts, or pecans, in oven set on 375° F. or toast in dry skillet set on med-high and tossed until done.

2. In Cuisinart or blender add all of the ingredients except oil. Turn machine on and slowly drizzle in oil until everything is blended. You might not need to use all the oil, or you may need more, it just depends on how much rosemary you used, etc. You want it to be a little thick. Taste and adjust salt, pepper, rosemary, or garlic until it suits your taste. If it's a little strong that's OK because it will help flavor the lamb better.

Put lamb in shallow pan, cover with this mixture and bake. I bake mine at 325° until 140° as we like ours rare. Take your lamb out about 5° less than you like it and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Will continue cooking after you take out of oven and sitting will let the juices absorb back into the meat and not just run out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom