"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb
Old 10-25-2005, 06:43 PM   #11
Head Chef
I live in the cold midwest - the weather is cooling down a quite a bit so I can't think of grilling :-) although I wish I still could spend more time outdoors.

This is infact a BBQ recipe but i cook it on my stove top grill pan. I marinate the lamb with all the ingredients. At the last minute I puree some yellow onions and strain the water from it and mix it to the ground lamb, skewer it on a bamboo skewer (takes some practice to thread it on) and then grill it on the pan. No one can tell it was not done on an outside grill. You can also use the oven to grill and then broil it for the last couple of minutes to give it a slightly charred taste.

Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #12
Sous Chef
Yakuta - I make Keema Mattar a lot, too. I puree the onions, though, and it really contributes to a smooth texture. ETA - an Indian friend told me to do this because I commented about how it's always so smooth in restaurants. She told me I could use canned, tomato puree, too to help keep the texture smooth. Never tried that before, though. Is this what Indian restaurants use?

OP - we like to use ground lamb to make Lahmacun.

Lahmacun (Turkish pide)

1kg. flour
1 T. salt
1 turkish teaglass of vegetable oil
water as needed

Mix together. Knead until smooth. Roll out into dough rounds.

500 gr. minced lamb
2 lg. onions, diced finely
1 tomato, seeded and diced finely
1 T. tomato paste
1 T. mild red pepper paste
1/2 green pepper diced finely
1/2 red pepper dice finely
cilantro or parsley (whichever you prefer), chopped

Combine ingredients well. Spread a thin layer on each dough round. Bake in preheated 220°C oven for 6 - 7 minutes.

ETA - 220°C is equal to 425°F

velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 04:39 PM   #13
Head Chef
Hi Veloholic that Lahmacun sounds really good. I have to try it out soon.

As far as your question on Keema Matar goes I don't like to puree my onions because it releases a lot of water. Instead I like to chop my onions extra fine and then saute them in oil until they turn almost golden. To answer your tomato question yes you can add a small can of tomato puree. A lot of restaurants do this to add color.

Keep in mind though that the best way to imitate restaurant style Keema Matar is to use elbow grease. You need to saute the Keema once cooked until it releases the oil. Once the oil starts releasing add a little bit more water and some peas and then garnish with cilantro and you are ready. Sauting it not only helps with browning but also with the smooth texture since all the other ingredients are completely sauteed and incorporated in the gravy.
Yakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:04 AM   #14
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Originally Posted by Yakuta
As far as your question on Keema Matar goes I don't like to puree my onions because it releases a lot of water. Instead I like to chop my onions extra fine and then saute them in oil until they turn almost golden.
That's a very handy tip, thanks Yakuta

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:01 AM   #15
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Jessica, Yakuta has also suggested this idea below to me in another thread, which sounds really tempting and I would love to try... he is using beef and I would too, as I don't eat lamb, but he says that lamb will be fine for this recipe... after all lamb is much more popular an ingredient than beef in the Indian cuisine...

Hi urmaniac, yeah Pork is not popular in India except in Goa which is a resort town that was heavily influenced by the Portuguese and the majority of the population is Christian.

I am a Muslim so I don't eat pork but I do eat beef. Meatball curry also known as kofta curry is once again a moghulai preparation (influenced by the Muslim immigrants). I use ground beef to make my meatballs but ground goat or lamb can be substituted.

It's made by marinating the ground beef with ginger paste and spices (chilli powder, cumin and corrainder powder, salt, finely chopped cilantro and handful of fresh mint). Next you make a curry (with onions, tomatoes, freshly ground Indian spices and garam masala), add some yogurt to it. Next you add some water to make the gravy a tiny bit thin and then place the raw meat balls in the gravy and let them simmer for an hour until the meatballs are cooked. They soak up the gravy and the gravy thickens. You garnish it with cilantro and serve it with naan and rice.

Its delicious if you are into curries. **
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:45 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
i second the lamb chilli that robo referred to. it is a strong enough flavor of meat to stand up to lots of other levels in the chilli, including cumin, garlic, and the heat and taste from various peppers.

i also love just a plain lamb burger, on a pita, with lettuce, chopped tomato and red onion, feta cheese, oregano, a squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil.
btw, the best lamb burger in nyc is at big nick's on broadway and west 76th street.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 06:09 AM   #17
Sous Chef
Thanks for the Keema tips. My indian friend did tell me that what we eat in restaurants (both in Germany and in the US) is usually different than how you cook at home. But since that's my main exposure to that cuisine, I guess it's what I'm used to. Thanks again!!
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:09 AM   #18
Senior Cook
Burgers, lasagne, put it on pizza, have it with pasta, can make meatballs outta them, they make good sandwich fillings too ;)
SHAMALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:18 AM   #19
Head Chef
Went out last night and we both had a lamb ravioli with a curry sauce.

Love lamb, but have never made ravioli with it before.

Have to get to work on that.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:13 AM   #20
Assistant Cook
Moussaka or cabbage roll casserole.
1-1 1/2 lb. ground beef or lamb
2 medium onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 14 oz can tomato sauce
1 can water
1/2 C uncooked rice
4 C cabbage, shredded
sour cream
Brown meeat, onions, and garlic. Drain. Add tomato sauce, water and salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Stir in rice and cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Place 2/3 of the cabbage in a greased baking dish and cover with half the rice mixture. Repeat layers. Cover and bake in 350 oven for 1 hour. Serve with sour cream. Serves 4-6.

Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote