What do you do with your ground lamb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael in FtW said:
since I don't have any kind of rotisserie for making Gyros I make mini-lamb patties and substitute them for the slices of shaved rotisserie lamb,

when you have time, would you mind telling me what spices (and quantities) you use in these? I'd appreciate it. Thanks! :)

nrkelly said:
when you have time, would you mind telling me what spices (and quantities) you use in these? I'd appreciate it. Thanks! :)

I'm not Michael, but I'll tell you what we put in köfte (the little lamb patties). All lamb or 50-50 lamb and beef. 1/2 kilo total. A small onion, grated (not diced... grated... and all the juices). One egg, cilantro (or oregano depending on taste), pepper, salt to taste. Grill them for best flavor.

velochic said:
I'm not Michael, but I'll tell you what we put in köfte (the little lamb patties). All lamb or 50-50 lamb and beef. 1/2 kilo total. A small onion, grated (not diced... grated... and all the juices). One egg, cilantro (or oregano depending on taste), pepper, salt to taste. Grill them for best flavor.

Velochic, do you eat them with tzatziki sauce? Thanks for the recipe. I think I'll try it Sunday.

While I was in Whales a few years ago visiting with a friend, the nieghbors had a fantastic BBQ and one of the items on the menu that evening was Minted Lamb burgers.
I think the lamb burger came with the Mint and what ever else might have been mixed up aready when they purchased it from the butcher.

You might search for a minted lamb burger recipe online. I know that I have found them before, but I haven't ever made them I don't buy lamb often.

kingfisher

Lamb sausage is great on pizza with spinache and walnuts and goat cheese. I guesss it would work like that in a salad to, and would probably go well with Spinache salad dressing.

i use it to make spagetti sauce (drained)... i like its peculiar taste more than beef

Am I glad I found this thread. Thanks for all the suggestions. I just purchased some ground lamb on sale the other day and it's in my freezor. My son suggested meat balls. It's been intresting reading what other ways people use ground lamb. This is the first I've seen in our local market.

I chop up an onion and a couple cloves of garlic, and saute it (breaking it down as you would hamburger for chili). Then I make up a batch of rice, couscous, or orzo (couscous is my favorite), cooking/steaming it in chicken broth. Mix together with a quarter cup or so of dried fruit (raisins, chopped dates, something like that), and a quarter cup of pistachios, pine nuts, or almonds. If you have some fresh parsley or other herbs, toss some of that in as well. This is one of the first dishes my husband cooked for me. Most often I use Middle East couscous because it is readily available, but travelling a lot, I've used many products. A touch of Cavender's Greek seasoning gives it some zip, or some chili flakes if you like some heat. A good side dish is sliced cucumbers tossed with yogurt and mint, lemon balm, or parsley. If you're feeling dangerous, serve some arak or similiar liquor, but to be safe make some very sweet mint tea.

Back
Top Bottom