"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 10-24-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Question What do you do with your ground lamb?

Hi all,

Just curious what sorts of things (perhaps besides the TNT shepard's pie) do you do like to do with ground (aka, minced) lamb?

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

This recipe has origins in Armenian cooking and is a regular when my family cooks out. You can mix half beef and half lamb if you prefer.

Lul Burgers

2 Lb Ground Lamb
1 Large Onion, minced
1/2 C Parsley, minced
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/3 C Tomato Sauce

Mix all the ingredients by hand. Shape into burgers and grill.

Old 10-24-2005, 01:01 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Two of my favorites are Pastitsio and Gyros. I've made the former with ground beef, 'cause that's what I usually have around when the urge hits me. Since I don't have one of those amazing vertical rotisseries for making Gyros, I found this link of interest on making one at home. (If you follow the links, you'll find Alton's Gyro & Tzatziki recipes.)

http://cruftbox.com/blog/archives/001184.html

The bestest is schwarma. This is why I have the dish out

Old 10-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
Master Chef

my very favorite thing is just a simple lamb burger. sage, seasalt, black pepper..... yum.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:51 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I use it in moussaka - and occasionally in Shepherd's Pie (but I prefer Cottage Pie!)
Old 10-24-2005, 07:46 PM   #6
Master Chef

Moussaka, Dolmas, steamed stuffed cabbage with either a Greek tomato or egg/lemon sauce, Persian meatballs with a thick yogurt based sauce over Basmiti rice and onion, since I don't have any kind of rotisserie for making Gyros I make mini-lamb patties and substitute them for the slices of shaved rotisserie lamb, Pasties, Pastitsio, lamb burgers, thick lamb patties seasoned with rosemary and garlic smothered with leeks in a roux/yogurt gravy and served with saffron rice.

I guess the one thing that I haven't used it for is shepard's pie!
Old 10-24-2005, 08:19 PM   #7
Executive Chef

a simple lamb garlic tomato and basil pasta sauce; the basis for a lamb chili...lamb goes really well with chipotle in adobo with black beans! so good. home made gyrros! char broiled lamb burgers! a sheppards pie, a mousaka, etc etc ... stuffed cabbage! kufta kabob...lamb sausages with pine nuts and feta! grill them!
Old 10-25-2005, 01:49 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

I make meatloaf!

"If it's stupid, but it works, it isn't stupid."
DugDbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 10:08 AM   #9
Head Chef

lamb seekh kabab or ground lamb curry.

Seekh kabab - Lamb is seasoned with minced ginger, dry roasted and ground corrainder and cumin, chili powder, freshly chopped cilantro and mint, salt to taste and then rolled onto a skewer and grilled until done. It's normally served with lemon wedges and sweet onions.

Ground lamb curry with peas (my favorite): Saute a finely chopped large onion in 3 tbsp of oil. Add ginger and garlic paste, cumin and corrainder powder, garam masala powder (simple mix of whole black peppercorns, cinnamon stick and cloves). One large tomato finely chopped. Saute all of this until the tomato releases all it's liquid and turns into a mushy pulp and oil is released. Next add the groud lamb and let it cook for 30 minutes or so until the lamb is cooked. Finally brown the lamb a bit until the oil releases, add a cup of frozen peas and stir to combine and cook it for another 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve with naan.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:47 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
lamb seekh kabab or ground lamb curry.

Seekh kabab - Lamb is seasoned with minced ginger, dry roasted and ground corrainder and cumin, chili powder, freshly chopped cilantro and mint, salt to taste and then rolled onto a skewer and grilled until done. It's normally served with lemon wedges and sweet onions.
I am drooling over this recipe Yakuta! Thank-you for sharing it! I would omit the chilli powder (sorry, it's just that I'm not a "hot" spice person). Do you cook this on a grill or in the oven? (Almost sounds like it could be cooked on the bbq?)

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None