"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Lamb

Old 02-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Lamb is my favorite red meat, hands down. If I had to choose my "last meal," lamb would certainly be on the menu.

That said, it's impossible for me to say what my favorite way to eat /cook it is. Sometimes it's Roast Leg (bone-in) with Garlic Wine sauce. Others it's an herb-crusted rack of lamb with mustard, then again, there are those devastating little riblets, deviled and grilled, with a white wine/scallion sauce.... or could be a grilled, butterflied leg with olive oil and Greek herbs. and I can't forget Pastitsio, or Gyros, or Kebabs, or.....

I have four different recipes for lamb in my book, because I couldn't leave any of them out. No other protein except mussels can make that claim.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Rack of Lamb......having company next Sunday and that's on the menu for dinner. I like a "sort of" duchess potato with them.....sauted and seasoned mushrooms, set under a mound of whipped potatoes, then put into oven until slightly browned. As for colour, I like rapini, like the way it tastes too, of course!!!.....I marinate the lamb overnite or for a number of hours in evoo/wine vinegar and herbs. Deelish!!!!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
Head Chef

Being Indian we eat lamb and goat in plenty. Here are my favorites:

Indian style sheekh kabab: Made with ginger, onions, cumin, corrainder, chillies, mint and cilantro. Served with lots of lime, fresh mint and some type of a yogurt, mint and cilantro dipping sauce.

Minced lamb with peas: Very flavorful and goes well with a roti bread.

Leg of Lamb or Lamb shanks - Marinated in yogurt and spices and roasted in the oven until the meat falls off the bones.

Lamb Curry or Lamb Kofta Curry : Both very good and flavorful.

Lamb Biryani: It's a classic Indian rice preparation. It's a lot of work but the end result is worth all the hard work.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

My husband makes a great rack of lamb. He won't stew with lamb as he says it ruins the flavor, so I have never had it that way.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Roast lamb, slow cooked lamb shanks, Lancashire Hot Pot
Old 02-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Love everyone else's, but cannot stand the way it comes out when I cook it.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #17
Head Chef

I'm with ChefJune -- I love lamb prepared just about any way you can think of: roasted, stews, grilled, etc.

I've always thought that many people who don't like lamb fall into one of two categories: those who have only had it horribly overdone; and those who are put off because although it looks like beef, it doesn't taste the way they expect. Of course, some people just don't like it, period.

Anyway, I suggest that anyone trying lamb for the first time should simply grill it. I also suggest they try New Zealand lamb because it has a very mild flavor, closer to beef than lamb from some other sources.

Here's a great recipe for simply prepared lamb chops, an Italian recipe called Abbacchio alla Scottadito, or Finger-Burning Lamb Chops. I usually use the little French lamb chops or buy a rack of lamb when it's on sale and cut it into individual chops for this simple recipe. Add some good bread, a bottle of good red wine, and some grilled asparagus = heaven!.

Abbacchio alla Scottadito
(Finger-Burning Lamb Chops)

8 to 12 rib lamb chops (about 2 to 3 per person)
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Light the grill and get it good and hot.

Oil the chops and season well with salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.

Grill very quickly over a hot fire, turning once after about 2 to 3 minutes for rare, or 4 minutes for medium-rare. Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the chops. Do NOT overcook. Serve immediately.

Note that the original recipe calls for serving the chops with grilled sliced onions (brushed with olive oil before grilling) and sliced rustic bread (brushed with olive oil and rubbed with raw garlic before toasting on the grill). That's all optional, IMHO.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #18
Certified Cake Maniac

Rack of lamb with a rosemary mint rub and served with a tubule salad and chickpea tomato ragout.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Rack of lamb with a rosemary mint rub and served with a tubule salad and chickpea tomato ragout.
Laurie, what's a "tubule" salad?

One of the things I love about a large leg of lamb is having leftovers for sandwiches!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Laurie, what's a "tubule" salad?

One of the things I love about a large leg of lamb is having leftovers for sandwiches!
Tabouleh?

Tags
None