What’s your favourite dish with lamb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Laurie, what's a "tubule" salad? :huh:

One of the things I love about a large leg of lamb is having leftovers for sandwiches!

Thanks, Soup Dragon, yes I meant tabouleh. :wacko: Sorry June. Don't know how much longer I can use the pain med excuse but I am going to drag it out as long as I can. :LOL:

The link is fairly close to how I make mine. I absolutely fell in love with this salad at the catering company I apprenticed at. And with the mint and it's light flavours and texture it goes very well with lamb.

Thanks, Soup Dragon, yes I meant tabouleh. :wacko: Sorry June. Don't know how much longer I can use the pain med excuse but I am going to drag it out as long as I can. :LOL:

The link is fairly close to how I make mine. I absolutely fell in love with this salad at the catering company I apprenticed at. And with the mint and it's light flavours and texture it goes very well with lamb.

Well, I'm glad I didn't "ASSume!" because my first thought was that it referred to some kind of pasta.

I love tabbouleh, too. even better now that I know it's much more parsley than bulghur!

fMy friend's mother used to make a lamb stew Lebanese style. It has lamb, fresh green beans, tomatoes, garlic and a few other things that I can't remember. I have to find that recipe. Also, enjoy kibbe (baked) and Lebanese meat pies.

I also love lamb in all of its forms and styles of preparation. One of my favorites is braised leg of lamb. My preparation is based on the recipe of the late NY Times food editor Craig Claibourne, who loved this recipe so much that they actually published it in his obituary.

For copyright reasons, I can't post the recipe here but you can read the full obituary and original recipe here: Craig Claiborne, 79, Times Food Editor And Critic, Is Dead - New York Times

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't had it cooked a lot of ways, but I love lamb chops, roast lamb with mint sauce, and rack of lamb with mint sauce. I tried making lamb stew once, but there was a lot of fat in it an it totally ruined the stew. I love lamb, but not lamb fat. I would like to try it sometime, but with lamb that isn't so fatty. James hates lamb, so when I make lamb I make something else for him.

:)Barbara

For you stew lovers, here's a wonderful recipe. The lemon adds such a wonderful difference and tenderizes the meat. It's a lovely spring dish.

French Lamb Stew

3 lbs. Boneless leg or lamb shoulder cut in 1 1/2' cubes
4 Tb olive oil
1 1/2 to 2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 TB. Flour
3 c. chicken broth
Juice of 2 lemons (start with 1 1/2 and add more to taste)
2 tsp. Marjoram
2 bay leaves
2 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Pepper
20 or so frozen pearl onions
6 carrots, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
(I use baby carrots just for eye appeal)
10-15 baby red potatoes cut in halves or quarters
Chopped parsley for garnish.

Optional - asparagus and/or green beans. I like to roast them and place them across the stew for serving. The green with the orange carrots makes a lovely Spring-like presentation.

Remove excess fat from lamb. In a Dutch oven, heat oil and lightly brown the lamb cubes. Remove lamb and set aside. Saute the onion and garlic until slightly translucent. Add flour, blend well and cook on simmer for 2 minutes. Slowly stir in chicken broth, lemon juice, marjoram, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Return lamb to pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 45 minutes. Add pearl onions and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Taste for seasonings. Add the carrots and potatoes and cook until done, 30 minutes or so. Ladle into deep bowls and add asparagus/green beans or sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Great with French bread for sopping, and a fruity salad of some kind.

I thought that I didn't liked lamb at all until I tasted my hubby's lamb chops in Istanbul.....OMG did I ever put my foot in my mouth......they were absolutely heavenly.......we ate again there a few days later and that's what I ordered for my meal.......they were heavenly........never tasted lamb like that

I have a friend who is Lebanese and his parents make a dish called Kefta (or Kafta- have seen it spelled both ways) that is amazing. I have made it a few time myself and have been very pleased with the results.

Ingredients:
A mixture of ground lamb and beef (equal parts)
Fresh chopped parsley
Allspice
Cinnamon
Garlic
Onion
Salt & Pepper

Mix all together and form into patties or sausage shape, then grill or bake.

A plain yogurt mixed with lemon juice, garlic, a little salt and pepper makes a great sauce to accompany this meat. ENJOY!

I have a friend who is Lebanese and his parents make a dish called Kefta (or Kafta- have seen it spelled both ways) that is amazing. I have made it a few time myself and have been very pleased with the results.

Ingredients:
A mixture of ground lamb and beef (equal parts)
Fresh chopped parsley
Allspice
Cinnamon
Garlic
Onion
Salt & Pepper

Mix all together and form into patties or sausage shape, then grill or bake.

A plain yogurt mixed with lemon juice, garlic, a little salt and pepper makes a great sauce to accompany this meat. ENJOY!

Ahh... yes, köfte. Dh is from Turkey and, accommodating regional preferences, they use oregano and cilantro for the herbs and no spices.

In Turkey, they use lamb for many dishes beyond the roasting. My favorite must be Lahmacun. It is a type of lamb and veg with pepper paste and spices on flat bread (like torillas known in the US or lavash, naan or injera in other areas), cooked like a pizza. I've posted my western version here before.

I also tried something Yakuta posted quite a while ago (3 years, maybe?) and while I LOVED it, my mother and dd didn't and I haven't made it since. I need to go find that recipe again.

My favorite lamb dish is somebody else's. I really like lamb. I just cannot stand my own. I have tried it in a few ways, and a few different cuts, but never liked my results.

Ahh... yes, köfte. Dh is from Turkey and, accommodating regional preferences, they use oregano and cilantro for the herbs and no spices.

In Turkey, they use lamb for many dishes beyond the roasting. My favorite must be Lahmacun. It is a type of lamb and veg with pepper paste and spices on flat bread (like torillas known in the US or lavash, naan or injera in other areas), cooked like a pizza. I've posted my western version here before.

I also tried something Yakuta posted quite a while ago (3 years, maybe?) and while I LOVED it, my mother and dd didn't and I haven't made it since. I need to go find that recipe again.

Kefte, Kafte, kofte is a delicious middle eastern /eastern mediterranean dish. Every country seems to spell the name a bit differently, as well as make it a bit differently. No matter. Every version I've eaten is delicious.

Personally, my favorite lasagna is not lasagna at all, but the Greek Pastitsio. Made with lamb exclusively. :)

My favorite is grilled rack of lamb, simply marinaded in olive oil, lemon, rosemary, S&P. Served with cous-cous and sauteed fresh spinach, lightly dressed. Mmmmmm:)

We love lamb, but NOT rare roasted lamb.

Our favorite dish is a slow-cooker one where the meltingly-delicious lamb is combined with spinach & feta and served over couscous.

My mouth is watering!

One of my favourite meats is Lamb. I like the smell and the taste. I roast it, boil it, stew it and also tried making Jamie Oliver cottage pie from it as well, which was fantastic.

What do you cook from lamb and what are your favourites?

D

Hi Dmitri,

Favourite ways with lamb:

* armenian lamb - casseroled, cubes flavoured with cumin and allspice (Jamaica pepper) tomatoes and served with rice mixed with currants and toasted almonds;
* curried - check out www.mamtaskitchen.com for recipes;
* lamb cutlet en cuirasse - lamb cutlets, browned VERY QUICKLY, cooled and wrapped in puff pastry with a mushroom duxelles, glazed and baked and served with a red wine, redcurrant reduction;
* souvlakia - marinaded cubes of lamb (OO, lemon zest, touch of lemon juice, marjoram/oregano) and griddled or BBQ`d;
* stuffed boned rolled breast of lamb using either a spinach based stuffing or a breadcrumb and apricot + almond stuffing;
* slow roast leg of lamb or leg of lamb boulangere - check out JO recipes;
* lamb burgers - seasoned with nutmeg and mint or
* keftedes -wrapped on souvlakia skewers or well soaked bamboo sticks and griddled. You could add some cheese - grated or finely diced like feta, gruyere etc.;
* minced lamb, sautéed onions, garlic, tomatoes, oregano/marjoram used to stuff aubergines. Make a rich sauce like a ragu for lasagne. Bake the aubergines. Cut in half, lenghtways, carefully remove the flesh of the aubergine to give "shells" and chop, add to the minced lamb and use to stuff the shells. Top with breadcrumbs and drizzle with oil and bake in a hot oven. If making in advance place a little tomato sauce (sautéed onion, garlic, tomatoes) on the base of the pan to stop the aubergines from burning on the base;
* use the same idea as above but slice aubergines lengthways and fry/griddle. Use the lamb mix to spread on the slices, roll up, place in a greased ovenproof dish, add tomato sauce and bake -could top with cheese before baking;
* Moussaka - the classic minced lamb dish!

Can you tell that lamb is one of my favourite meats!

By the way:

* Cottage pie = minced beef
* Shepherd`s pie = minced lamb

Traditionally, a Shepherd`s pie would be made using the roast left overs - trimmed off when cold and cut very, very finely. You can make it with raw uncooked minced lamb. Additional flavouring ingredients to bring out the flavour of the lamb would be:
* a dash or Worcestershire sauce;
* a pounded fillet of anchovy - yes, it does work as, traditionally, piercing a roasting joint of lamb and putting a piece or garlic, anchovy and rosemary makes a wonderfull roast leg etc.,
* touch of anchovy essence;
* finely diced mushrooms.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

Kefte, Kafte, kofte is a delicious middle eastern /eastern mediterranean dish. Every country seems to spell the name a bit differently, as well as make it a bit differently. No matter. Every version I've eaten is delicious.

Yep... I totally agree!

One of my favourite meats is Lamb. I like the smell and the taste. I roast it, boil it, stew it and also tried making Jamie Oliver cottage pie from it as well, which was fantastic.

What do you cook from lamb and what are your favourites?

D

I haven't cooked it, but lamb kafta (or something like that) is my fav lamb dish. It's Indian - lamb meatballs in some sort of sauce. No idea how to make it or what's even really in it, but I love it!

Mince meat for the koftes are a lot tastier with lamb minced meat than ground beef. In the Middle East and Turkish cooking lamb mince used widely. But people say that they prefer beef during hot summer monhts and use more lamb in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom