Working on Lamb bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
I bought a lamb breast today. See link below. I am in the middle of removind the rib tip bones but I need to wait for it to thaw a bit more. i then plan or curring it. Any suggestions on what I should use for a cure?

12636_180905835918_721560918_3467701_7952764_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ok I was able to remove the ribs from the meat. When I did on one side there seemed to be what looks like alot of fat. I trimmed out some. Is this actually fat or is it conective tissue? Should I leave the rest in? Should I save it and grind it into the beef sausage that I am working on? Should I throw it into a stock pot?

ok so it looks like equal parts kosher salt and brown sugar and some maple syrup to bind it. Spread it on. Put it in a zip lock bag in the fridge for a week. It looks like most is smoked afterwards. Do I need to smoke it?

I added picture to fb album of the breast boned out, the cure and the cure on the lamb. Now it sits for a week to cure in the fridge.

for my cure I used 2 cups of kosher salt, 2 cups brown sugar, about 30 grinds of black pepper, a heavy sprinkling of garlic and onion powder, smoked papprika, a tblspn of liquid smoke, and about 6 oz of molasses.

gotcha. thanks. I still do not understand if you are going to smoke this or just going to leave as is after marinading?

oh, man you have way too much patients. If I had a piece of lamb I'd eat it right away. Actually, recently we went to farm and shechted couple yong ones. So yummy.

yes I do, cost some money, but a fresh lamb is definitly worth it. i paid about $140 for lamb plus $50 buks to the sochet, but then I try to find somebody who buys the rear and, so I get back $60-70 buks.

Back
Top Bottom