"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 12-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #21
Master Chef

When Daddy was a survival instructor in Nevada, we ate jackrabbit once. Oh, deary me. Not an experience any of us want to repeat!

Old 12-25-2011, 12:48 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
When Daddy was a survival instructor in Nevada, we ate jackrabbit once. Oh, deary me. Not an experience any of us want to repeat!
Really? Why?

I have eaten a lot of snowshoe hare. It was good, but very lean. I got kind of tired of it.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:04 AM   #23
Master Chef

Now, I like a "gamy" flavor to my meat, I really do miss it in the venison I've eaten in recent years. But the bunny I ate, well, you could floss your teeth with the meat, it was so stringy, and, well, it was terrible. I was only in about 2nd grade, and I have no idea who cooked it or how. My husband says he ate one as an adult, and agrees. No jackrabbits from the desert.

You have to understand, we aren't talking bunnies that have some fat on them to live in the great northeast. We're talking big old jackrabbits who live in the desert and live off things like sagebrush.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:31 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
I clocked one of them in nevada once as it ran, full speed, next to my car. I got to 40 mph before I started pulling ahead. Damn! Those things can run!

Dessert Jacks are only good for making broth. They're all muscle and not worth the time of cooking them for meat.

They do make a wonderful broth however.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I clocked one of them in nevada once as it ran, full speed, next to my car. I got to 40 mph before I started pulling ahead. Damn! Those things can run!

Dessert Jacks are only good for making broth. They're all muscle and not worth the time of cooking them for meat.

They do make a wonderful broth however.
Wonder what they'd be like ground, and with a bit of chicken or pork fat added. Also, maybe soaking in milk bight remove some of the gamey flavor. I like the gamey flavor in venison, but depending on where you get them, ruffed grouse can be so gamey, especially at the wing joints, that they are almost inedible, though most of the breast is very tasty, drumsticks too.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #26
Executive Chef

When I was in Berlin, Germany, (1974-1977), I saw some Jack Rabbits there. They were twice the height of American Jacks and had rear legs that looked like turkey drumsticks about a foot long. Never had a chance to eat one.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:53 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
I concur Tom, on my first tour that included France I thought Coq Au Vin was an invitation to have nooky in the tour eqiup van.
Thank you for starting my day of with a belly laugh!!!
Old 12-26-2011, 04:59 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Pigeons wouldn't stand a chance in my neighborhood. There are lots of Hawks and Owls around my house. I love em. They eat snakes, mice and any critter dumb enough to come out in the open within their sight.

I was walking my teacup chihuahua, Meko one evening and a hawk made a run for it. I scared it off by waving my arms.

Little Meko peed herself, but she did that for anything that happened near her.
My son's Maltese is all white and I am sure from the air he looks like a rabbit. And he is very small. We have several pairs of nesting hawks. My son has to keep the dog on a short leash near him. Several times they have made a dive for him.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #29
Master Chef

When my JR terrier decided to head out for the Mississippi river and was on her own for over a week, she came home with claw marks on her back. So, yeah, watch out for your small animals if you have a lot of hawks, vultures, eagles, falcons. There actually is a generic word for those types of birds, can't remember what it is.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
When my JR terrier decided to head out for the Mississippi river and was on her own for over a week, she came home with claw marks on her back. So, yeah, watch out for your small animals if you have a lot of hawks, vultures, eagles, falcons. There actually is a generic word for those types of birds, can't remember what it is.
Birds of prey.

Tags
None