Buffalo roasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread has given me an urge to drive out to the Wooden Nickel Buffalo Farm :chef:

Oh I've made burgers a plenty...I have about 200lbs of ground meat :) the best thing I've done with the ground meat is meatballs. I mixed about a quarter pound of Italian sausage in to add fat, breadcrumbs, an egg, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese and baked them in the oven for about 30 mins at 350. Best meatballs I've ever had.

Also, I've looked up dozen if recipes and they mostly call for a long cooking time or that the meat can't dry out, which I've found to be inaccurate. What I'm looking for is some advice from people who've worked with the meat and have some tried and true tips.

My pleasure :)
One more thing your can try is cooking it with some finely diced Speck (bacon fat). about 1/5 speck to meat, seasoning salt, black pepper and a few cloves (I use about 10 for a roast). Just barely cover with water and cook in a low oven for 6 hours (I leave mine overnight)
Then remove the whole cloves, pull the meat as you would pulled pork and use as filling for pies or pasties.
We do this with game like Kudu, gemsbok etc. but I've done it with Buffalo and the taste is almost identical when done this way.
Traditional South African game pie, yum!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom