Buffalo roasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SRatliff83

Assistant Cook
Hoping someone can help. I have a ton of buffalo meat and have made a few roasts in the slow cooker. They have been chuck roasts and I can't seem to keep them from drying out. First time, I used a thawed roast, cream of mushroom soup red wine and onion. Cooked it on low for about 10 hours while I was at work. Very tough and dry. Second time, I started with a frozen roast using the same recipe and cooking time. More tender but still a bit dry. Also, I find the gristle has an unpleasant taste so I would like to trim it, but I hate to lose the little bit of fat that the roasts actually have. Please help :) I love the meat and hate to waste it. Any suggestions or recipes would be much appreciated!

I did one a few years ago. I wrapped it in bacon and smoked until just past rare (toss the bacon after). If you don't have a smoker you can use a cardboard box and a an electric single burner. Google Alton Brown box smoker or something like that.

You could also try a larding needle to get some more internal fat while cooking.Grinding the meat for chili is another possibility.

The 10 hours seems excessive for such a lean cut.Does your oven have a timer? You could braise it at a lower temp/time and still come home to it.

I used to have a source for smoked buffalo tongues.Those were amazing!

Last edited:
I figured it was too long. I need to buy a crock pot with a timer :) what would seem like a more appropriate cooking time? Most of the recipes say about 8 hrs, but I still feel like that's too long.

We eat buffalo roast a lot and I always cook it medium rare. I like cooking it with a dry rub and basting it with butter. Yummy!
Aren't you talking about water buffalo? I think the OP is talking about bison. The same rules may apply.

Since buffalo is a lean meat, I generally make my roasts in the oven.
That said, if you want to crock-pot it, add the fat back, in the way of EVOO, and to that, add stock from either beef or buffalo and red wine. Then throw in spices. Should do the trick =0)

Snip and jkath, thanks!! I will try both. I have a sirloin top round roast that I think will be best med rare, but these chuck roasts ive will go in the slow cooker or a low oven.

Also, I've looked up dozen if recipes and they mostly call for a long cooking time or that the meat can't dry out, which I've found to be inaccurate. What I'm looking for is some advice from people who've worked with the meat and have some tried and true tips.

No TNT tips from me, other than I stick to bison ribeye steaks. I tried cooking a couple chuck roasts by using the meat for stew. And while it is always very flavorful, it's also a bit chewy for me. Not dry, but it just doesn't break down the way beef does.

I don't know if I got any ribeyes, my dad might not haven given them up ;) haha and yes, you're right about chewiness, I don't mind it so much, as long as the flavor is good. I wound up chopping the roast very fine and making hash with roasted potatoes and carrots. Not the ideal way to eat a roast, but I hate to waste!

Back
Top Bottom