CHEF TOM CATHERALLīs ATLANTA RESTAURANT TOM TOMīs ROAST DUCK & GRAND MARNIER ...
Chef Thomas Catherall who hails from the north of England, has always had an interest in the culinary arts. Back in 2009, we found him merging classic techniques with a variety of the worldīs best mergers and a touch of Asia, at his Atlanta, Georgia Restaurant Tom Tom.
Here is his sizzling delightful recipe which we prepared at home here in Madrid Capital in 2011 and thought that it is worth sharing with D.C. Members.
THE GRAND MARNIER CORDIAL CHUTNEY SALSA SAUCE ...
1 cup chopped coarsely Leeks or White Onion
2 Granny Smith or Golden Delicious Apples: peeled, de-cored and seeded and cut into 1/2 Inch slices
1 Red Bosc Ripe Pear sliced thickly
the Juice and the Zest of 2 Triple Skin Israeli Oranges ( without Pith )
1 Star Anise
1 Cinammon Stick
1 half inch slice of fresh Ginger Root
1/8 tblsp of sugar ( to taste )
1 tblsp of white wine vinegar or white cider vinegar
salt and freshly grinded black pepper
3 tblsps of Grand Marnier French Cordial ( put in a bartenderīs shot glass )
prepare the chutney salsa sauce ...
1. In a large sauce pan, over medium heat, combine the onions with a little Evoo, apples, pear, orange zest, star anise, cinammon stick, ginger and sugar and sweat for 8 minutes.
2. add the vinegar, salt and freshly grinded pepper and stir well, and then, add the orange juice. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and discard zest, and spices and let cool.
The Roast Ducklings ...
1. Preheat Oven to 450 degrees farenheit
2. Rinse the ducklings inside and exterior thoroughly ( remove any excess fat )
3. in a large sauce pan, over high heat, bring 1 gallon of water to a boil and add Honey, 12 Saffron threads ( which are soaked in a bowl of water for 15 minutes at a temperature of 115 farenheit degrees ), and Star Anise. Boil the ducklings in this liquid for only 5 minutes.
4. Then, Remove the ducks from the boiled water and pat dry. Set on rack in Oven in baking pans, and cook at 450 farenheit degrees for 1/2 Hour.
5. Then, lower oven temperature to 300 Degrees Farenheit and roast for 50 minutes.
6. Remove from oven, and take breasts off bone, and slice on an angle to give Long Slices. Reserve the pan juices ( need to be put in sieve and strained for a Gravy to be served apart in Sauce Boat ).
The Gravy ( Pan Juices )
Pan Juice of the Ducklings
Beef Stock or Chicken Stock: Home made
1/4 cup Grand Marnier Cordial
1 tsp. fine grain corn flour
Juice of 1 Orange
1/8 cup of sugar ( judge carefully and do tasting )
1. Put the sugar in a heavy sauce pan and cook over medium heat stirring occasionally, and until a light caramel color is created
2. stir in the beef stock and the orange juice and simmer 6 minutes
3. add the Grand Marnier and slowly combine the corn starch stirring until the gravy thickens Slightly. Keep warm ...
4. *** Garnish the Duckling with Orange Zest and Fresh Orange Slices
*** Suggestions for sides ...
Baked Sweet Potato or Baked Potato, and French Style String Beans ...
Written by: Margaux Cintrano.
Have a lovely Weekend.