Cooked Venison yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Yesterday, I put 3 little venison roasts in the crock pot atop a layer of quarted new red potatoes and baby carrots. I added the usual packet of dry onion soup mix, can of cream of mushroom soup, a little water, a pinch of thyme and pepper. The meat was cooked through and very tender after four hours, as were the apples and carrots. I took the meat out and sliced it across the grain, as venison can be pretty stringy. It was tasty, but unexpectedly dry. I returned the meat to the crockpot and added a can of shrooms, a cube of frozen basil butter, and another can of mushroom soup.
We had biscuits and fresh asparagus with it, and all was delcious, but the meat still tasted dry and chewy, even with all that gravy. I've never had that happen before, and I was surprised, because the meat was from a young doe.
I am mystified...???

Depends on what roasts they were. If it was the backstrap, you've overcooked a very tender piece of meat.

I just wanted to say that by the second day, the venison had soaked up a lot of the "goody" and was juicy and delicious. I guess that's the fix for dry meat...
Lots of gravy!
By the way, HB says the meat was backstrap.

Oh, my. You have really missed the best of venison. It is the tenderloin. It is elegant rubbed, seared and roasted rare with maybe a port wine or cherry sauce. Or you could have sliced it into medallions, pounded it thin and made a country style steak.

a good cast-iron sear, stone rare; sliced thin with a sprinkling of fleur de sel, maybe some dried porcini dust. a nice chateau neufdepape, that's ****ing heaven.

Back
Top Bottom