"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 01-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #21
Senior Cook

I saw this thread last night and thought it was a tribute thread to jerky...."Dear Jerky"...

Anyhoo...that does look very good!

Old 01-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Dear Jerky

My husband was an avid hunter and our kids would eat anything. So I learned all different ways so that my kids friends comming over would eat it too.

One way my kids loved dear meat is when I made jerky. I went out and bought a $20.00 food hydrator. I'd cut the meat into long slices, marinate with seasonings, and put in the hydrator. I'm telling you from experience, this $20.00 food hydrator will dry out any kind of food. I've used bananas, raisins, etc. and the kids loved watching the food change. The only work involved is turning the shelf the meat sits on.

The hydrator is white with 4 levels of shelves. The whole machine is about the size of a cuisinart food processor, is made of plastic-completely washable and you'll still be able to find it in cooking stores, maybe check walmart or Meijers too.

Hope that info. helps, I just hate to see you slaving over a smoker if you don't have too, although, that process is good too!

Old 01-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #23
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I wouldn't call it slaving over the smoker. It was quite fun, though it did make for a long day. In the second half of the day I started to get a rhythm with the fuel and damper to keep a better, consistent, temperature.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, I was going to say the same thing, Frank. Slaving?
Playing with the fire and temps is half the fun... maybe more than half.
I have heard great things about dehydrators though. Of course they won't add that smoky flavor
Old 01-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #25
Master Chef

Site Administrator

It was a lot of fun, not the kind of fun I I need every day though. I suppose one could use liquid smoke for flavor but there is something satisfying about watching the thin blue come out of the chimney.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
lol, I was going to say the same thing, Frank. Slaving?
Playing with the fire and temps is half the fun... maybe more than half.
I have heard great things about dehydrators though. Of course they won't add that smoky flavor
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
It was a lot of fun, not the kind of fun I I need every day though. I suppose one could use liquid smoke for flavor but there is something satisfying about watching the thin blue come out of the chimney.
You both just like playing with matches.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds good, but I'd have a hard time using a venison roast for jerky...my favorite way to make a v.roast is to treat it like a beef roast and toss in some red wine, morrel mushrooms, and onion. I then take the drippings and make a gravy using cream, a bit of flour, grated gjetost (Norwegian goat cheese) and lingonberries or dried cranberries...another tasty way to prepare venison roast, which we cook to medium rare...
Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #28
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You both just like playing with matches.
At least one of them runs with scissors too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Sounds good, but I'd have a hard time using a venison roast for jerky...my favorite way to make a v.roast is to treat it like a beef roast and toss in some red wine, morrel mushrooms, and onion. I then take the drippings and make a gravy using cream, a bit of flour, grated gjetost (Norwegian goat cheese) and lingonberries or dried cranberries...another tasty way to prepare venison roast, which we cook to medium rare...
This deer meat was hunted, killed and cleaned by the hunter friend b/c the friend wanted Frank to try making jerky. Venison roasts are great, and your recipe sounds good, but this was a good day for jerky experimentation!

~Kathleen
Old 01-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
At least one of them runs with scissors too.

This deer meat was hunted, killed and cleaned by the hunter friend b/c the friend wanted Frank to try making jerky. Venison roasts are great, and your recipe sounds good, but this was a good day for jerky experimentation!

~Kathleen
Unfortunately, the only time I get venison is when I go visit my folks. Wild rice, morel mushrooms, and MN walleye are what I eat when I'm there (and bring back--hoping customs won't confiscate them). My DH doesn't hunt and the hunter we let hunt on our property doesn't understand the concept of sharing the meat in exchange for use of the land. We've recruited s/one else to hunt next year in exchange for a 1/4 of the meat.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #30
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
...the hunter we let hunt on our property doesn't understand the concept of sharing the meat in exchange for use of the land. We've recruited s/one else to hunt next year in exchange for a 1/4 of the meat.

Yeah, I would say that unless they are paying well for the privilege that a share is nice.

In the end I kept a few strips of the jerky, add to that the test samples and I still have another roast in the freezer. I would have kept more but, truthfully, my friend wanted to send most of it with his son back to college. And the son is a good kid, and I think it was his kill anyways. I don't mind spending the day making jerky so he could have some back at school, I did have a good time.

The goose he gave me he told me to enjoy the whole thing, last year we split it roughly 50/50. And I still have deer ribs too....

Tags
recipe

Deer Jerky. My friend that hunts (you may remember him mentioned in the My Goose Is Cooking thread) gave me some deer meat to turn into jerky. This is a first attempt at this so we shall see what happens. Both of us are interested to see if the process will produce something edible. I used Morton Tender Quick last night for the cure and the strips are in the smoker now. The box has been settling in in the 145F range, though it does fluctuate (as a charcoal/wood chunk fire will). I do expect this to be an all day process. I ended up with about 26oz of deer strips. 3 stars 1 reviews