Deer meat on the Table. Recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm wet curing a venison loin right now. After it's been in the corning solution for two weeks, I'll roll it in black pepper, smoke it briefly on the grill, then wrap in foil and into goes into a slow oven. The end result will be home made venison pastrami. I added red pepper flakes to a standard corning recipe to give it a bit more kick. I'm seriously looking forward to this.

I would think that lean venison cuts would react well to corning, and be wonderful sliced paper-thin.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Venison makes fabulous Pastrami, I'm sure you'll love it :yum: We have a few Deli's that make it beautifully.
You should try your hand at making Game Biltong Chief. If you like cured meats you'll like it for sure.
I've bought Biltong and Drywors in Europe and it's not the same as made in SA. So if you do try it one day I would recommend using a Traditional SA recipe first.

Venison makes fabulous Pastrami, I'm sure you'll love it :yum: We have a few Deli's that make it beautifully.
You should try your hand at making Game Biltong Chief. If you like cured meats you'll like it for sure.
I've bought Biltong and Drywors in Europe and it's not the same as made in SA. So if you do try it one day I would recommend using a Traditional SA recipe first.

I don't even know what Biltong is. But I'd love to try it. Do you have a proven recipe?:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My grandma/mom and aunts used to 'corn' venison/moose/elk/antelope. Man those were the days! Your post has my mouth watering. Have you been doing this for a long time? Do you inject the loin?

I've corned beef many times. But this is my first attempt at corning venison. I suspect that as the meats are similar in texture and flavor (if the gaminess is removed), then the results would be similar. We shall see.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When I have had venison, I have just cooked it like beef. It was superb. I have had venison from hunters who bleed and gut the critter immediately and have never detected any "gamey" flavour.

When I have had venison, I have just cooked it like beef. It was superb. I have had venison from hunters who bleed and gut the critter immediately and have never detected any "gamey" flavour.

That was likely the problem the one and only time I ate venison. That gamey flavor was not at all pleasant to me so I'll pass.

A lot of the flavor of game meat depands on what they have been eating. Game in Wyoming tastes much more gamey, munching on sagebrush, than game that are forest dwellers.

So that said, the next chunk could taste gamey or not depending on where it has lived.

One common way to prepare venison is to grind it 50/50 with pork and make sausages out of it. Great on the grill or smoked.

A lot of the flavor of game meat depands on what they have been eating. Game in Wyoming tastes much more gamey, munching on sagebrush, than game that are forest dwellers.

So that said, the next chunk could taste gamey or not depending on where it has lived.
I'll bet you are right. These were forest/meadow living deer.

When we ate porcupine they were delicious, but in winter you didn't want to eat the liver, 'cause they had been eating pine and that's how the liver tasted.

I don't hunt personally, but put a hit out on Bambi's mother last year. The doe was killed in a cornfield and the meat was so lean and tender. There is not much left of it, but it has been thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe I will need another next fall.

I've used it as a substitute for beef and even for lamb. Always with good results.

I don't even know what Biltong is. But I'd love to try it. Do you have a proven recipe?:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Biltong is a cured dried meat Chief :)
I've posted a thread with my biltong recipe specially for you :yum:
Hope you like it!
The closest thing to biltong in the US is jerky but biltong tastes 10 times better in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom