"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 12-01-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
Master Chef

Deer meat on the Table. Recipes?

My mighty hunter just called and said he got a nice doe this morning. This is a four day deer season, so I'm going to be a hunting widow all week-end. I don't know exactly what the limit is, but he's allowed to kill several.
My mouth is already watering for venison stew.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
What some of the ways that you are planning to prepare your vension, Constance?

(BTY you must have a big freezer!)

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
Head Chef

O I envy you constance. My hubby didn't get a deer this year. First time in about 12 years. We will really miss the venison. I love making chili with the ground venison and venison stew.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
Master Chef

I only have a small freezer, and as you can see, I'm living in Northern Illinois. I just received a package each of chops and a roast, and two packages of ground meat. I was thrilled to discover that the ground meat has almost NO gamy flavor ... I simply made meatballs according to my usual way, and added them to my usual tomato sauce. They were great. In other words, the venison I've recieved could pass for very lean beef, and could be used in any recipe. I actually MISSED the gamy flavor!!! If you do get gamy venison, then any recipe that has sherry or red wine, sour cream, or hot peppers will complement it nicely. Ground meat goes well in chili; steaks, chops and roasts go well in stroganof recipes, or any wine-or-booze based stews. Since we in the midwest are having a heat wave (after having an autumn of -10 and a foot of snow), marinade with a combination of soy sauce, wine (or vinegar or even a shot or two of booze or can of beer), garlic, and sugar (this can be any version of sugar -- this is where I get rid of half jars of jam, honey, or syrups). Marinate overnight, then grill.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
My mighty hunter just called and said he got a nice doe this morning.
I loved the way you said this....I'm sure he would too...Aren't Husbands GREAT?

This is a recipe from one of my cooking bibles....it is from Seasoned with Sun, published by the Junior League of El Paso,Texas. http://www.jlep.org/books.html

Venison Cutlets with Mandarin Oranges
Serves 6

12 Venison cutlets
1/4 cup Butter
Salt and Pepper
1 tablespoon cognac
1/4 cup mandarin orange juice
1-2 tablespoons currant jelly
1/2 cup mandarin orange sections

Salt and Pepper Cutlets; sauté' in butter over medium high heat, Browning both sides. Remove to heated platter and keep hot. Add cognac, mandarin orange juice and jelly to pan drippings. Mix well, bring to a boil and cook one minute. Add mandarin orange sections to juice mixture. Spoon sauce over meat. Serve immediately. (I double the sauce, and reduce to taste,then add orange sections)
#1 Rule for Dieting.....If it "Tastes Good"...Spit-it-OUT!!
TexasTamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
Master Chef

You're right on, Tamale...especially mine.
Your recipe would work great for one of the loins. I don't have cognac, but I do have brandy, which is the same thing, except not from the Cognac region of France. I also have the currant jelly...all I need are the mandarin oranges, and I'll pick them up next time I go to the store.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-21-2007, 11:55 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to stranger2self
Hi, new poster here.

I just tried something for the first time tonight. We were looking for something quick to eat, and with the French bread we got as a dinner gift from a friend. We had to use the bread before it went bad, so that was necessary for the meal. I thought of how my mother always made her own version of Philly Steak Sub and decided to make a few changes according to minimal budget and what we had available. This is what I came up with:

2 small venison steaks, browned and sliced into strips
1 green pepper, sliced into strips
ground red pepper
garlic salt
onion powder
Shredded Mozzarella cheese

I fried the peppers and steak together with a little olive oil on med-low heat. I added the seasonings to my taste preferences, and at the last minute, I added a couple of small handfuls of cheese to melt over everything. I scooped a divit in the bread, and wa-la....venison philly sub....

It was amazing too....
Old 10-22-2007, 09:51 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

After reading this, I'm a little concerned about Kim's going into the woods with a loaded gun.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to kellyk
Tenderloin is wonderful cooked in 'beer' let it simmer till beer is gone and to a dry point, my son taught me this and it was wonderful!!!!!!!!! of course add your favorite seasonings to it as well. i believe he used salt,pepper, onion and garlic powder, lil ground hot pepper and seasoned salt.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Greek Style Venison Steak

Ingredients:
4 venison steaks
3/4 cup sour cream
1/3 - 1/2 cup of chopped cucumber
2 tablespoons feta cheese
2 tablespoons cut olives
Marinade:
1/2 cup steak sauce (A-1 or similar)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Method:

Mix marinade by adding steak sauce, olive oil, and lemon juice; marinate the steaks for approximately two hours. Save some of the marinade, that has not touched the raw meat, as a garnish.
Grill steaks for 10-12 minutes, until they are cooked through.
Mix the sour cream and cucumber and add on top of the finished steaks on the plate.
Add feta cheese and olives as a garnish

RecipeDirect.Net - Your Complete Recipe Source - Home

Tags
None