Elk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

college_cook

Head Chef
Chef put together a beautiful 5-course dinner paired with various wines tonight, and course #4 was ribeye of elk. It was incredibly delicious! It tasted quite a bit like a beef ribeye, except that it was very lean, and had even more flavor.

Anyone ever tried elk before?

Elk is fantastic. Here in Wisconsin we don't see many Elk but we do eat a lot of venison. Last weekend I made a Venison Carpaccio and grilled the ribs....outstanding.

Merry Christmas,

JDP

JDP, did you say you grilled the venison ribs? We have never done anything witht the ribs of venison except scrap the meat off for burger. Could you let me know how you prepair this? I have never eaten Elk but hubby has and loves it. I have seen alot of Elk when visiting Colorado, beautiful animal. Wish MN had Elk.

Remove the meat between the bones for your burger or make jerky from those strips. Then simply season the ribs with a little salt and pepper and give them a quick grilling. You want to eat them while they are hot as the fat is a bit tallowy when they cool down. We did ribs from 2 deer last weekend with a group of friends as we watched the Packer game. The ribs were great the game wasn't so good.

JDP

Some trophy hunters do not do any field dressing and simply hang the animal on top the vehicle and haul it home. They say that you have to get use to the taste to appreciate it. I call it ala exhaust! I am sure that we will be seeing more elk available since buying and shipping internet will make it plentiful. A lot of hunters have their game dressed by locals before they bring it home. My cookbook has a section on processing wild game and seasonings used to perserve it. I lived in an area of S. Dakota for a time and ate game at every meal. The sides were as typical as the meat. Enjoyed it most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom