Elk Roast advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I just picked up 2 frozen cow elk roasts a co-worker of DH's gave him this morning. Of course the topic at work is how to cook them, but I wanted to ask here too. How about cooking method; top of the stove CI dutch oven, oven roasted, crock pot?? I'm thawing the 4 1/2 pound roast and put the 5 1/2 pound one in the freezer. What about seasonings?

Thanks!

The cuts are not labeled, both seem the same. Boneless and look like they could be from a rear quarter. Here are 4 photos of each side. The elk was harvested 11/14.

Attachments

• DSCN3644.jpg
    DSCN3644.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 451
  • DSCN3645.jpg
    DSCN3645.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 452
  • DSCN3646.jpg
    DSCN3646.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 424
  • DSCN3647.jpg
    DSCN3647.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 403
That doesn't tell me anything. It might tell someone who knows more about butchering what it is.

I would cut off a small piece and fry it to get an idea of how tough or tender it is.

All I can tell you is that my overall experience with elk is that it is a very lean meat. It cooks quickly, but if you overcook it it will turn to leather. I would oven roast or grill it (indirect method) to an internal temp of no more than 130-135F.

It tastes similar to beef, so any seasoning blend you use for a beef roast will work just as well for elk.

My only experience with elk was having it as a grilled steak. I was a teen, and as I recall, it was quite good. Of course, that was several milleniums ago. Our parents lied to us and told us everything was beef, we knew better! We had a mixed meat dinner party, along with antelope, moose, venison, and some other wild hunted meats.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be good done in the CP, lots of aromatics, some red wine.

Last edited:
Watching all the shows on Alaska and people who live out there and hunt to eat, it seems they all cut it up into pieces and fry it in some kind of fat.
Might be bear fat for all I know.
But when they are cooking venison, moose or caribou and other animals, its getting fried in fat.
I am assuming to enhance the flavor since they don't have much in the way of seasonings. And as a way as to not over cook it. I guess.

Thanks all.

The consensus of the work crew, including the fellow who gave us the roasts, is to cook it in the crock pot. That I can do! And Frank, I will invite some meat eating friends over for the feast. (That rules out my sister and BIL)

Thanks for this recipe Steve. I will try it for the 6.8 pound roast in the freezer.

The 4 pounder is in the crock pot as I type. I have had very good results when cooking roasts and chicken in the crock pot. I'll report later how this one turns out.

Back
Top Bottom