"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 11-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Favorite game meat?

So what is everyone`s favorite game meat here?

So far for game meats I have tried elk, buffalo, venison, moose, caribou, and rabbit. I`ve tried each of them only in different cuts and styles so its hard to judge until Ive tried all the different cuts and experiment with different ways to prepare them, but so far my favorite is caribou. Ive had medallions and tenderloin and both were amazing, especially with a great demi glace sauce. You wouldnt believe how **** small a caribou (and elk for that matter) tenderloin is, especially when youre so used to seeing nice big beef tenderloins everywhere. Caribou tenderloins are probably about one sixth the size in thickness of the whole loin. Theyre not quite as long either if I remember correctly. The elk tenderloins were a bit bigger, but still WAY smaller than that of beef.

Anyway, caribou just had the best overall flavour for me. And even the medallions which came from the butt of the animal (not sure if caribou primals are the same names as Ive learned for beef and such so dont wanna call it by the wrong name) were extremely tender. Way more tender than that of the elk or buffalo in my opinion. Buffalo isnt gamey enough, tasted very much like beef. Elk is more gamey than the rest Ive tried, still love it though. Caribou had just the perfect balance. So tasty. Ive only had rabbit once, it was a rabbit duo though with bacon wrapped medallions and a confit in a pastry, it was amazing, probably my second favorite though it might top caribou if I got to eat it as more.

I love game meat, next year at school we got a Seafood and Game Meats course. Im not much of a fish and shellfish guy but I like shark, game meats is what I absolutely fell in love with the business for though. Im very much looking forward to that class, both for the game and to continue my attempts at becoming a fish lover.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
venison, bear and elk are all wonderful!!

Old 11-06-2008, 10:30 PM   #3
Master Chef

I love game, pretty much any of the game.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:24 AM   #4
Master Chef

unless they're not cured right it's going to be hard for me to stomach any game meat.(talking about the antlered stuff not little rabbits or birds)..............the best game meat I ever had was elk............actually loved it...........
Old 11-07-2008, 05:33 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Ruffed Grouse and wild boar.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Wild Turkey and Buffalo --- roasted over open fire with a big piece of bear fat in between.....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:43 AM   #7
Cook

Ruffed grouse, ringneck pheasant and elk. Surprisingly, groundhog is great if properly cleaned before it is prepared.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #8
Master Chef

I just started to venture into game meat... not sure I have a favorite yet.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Ruffed grouse, ringneck pheasant and elk. Surprisingly, groundhog is great if properly cleaned before it is prepared.
If groundhog is the same as woodchuck, their diet is pretty good and they certainly can get pretty fat.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
Master Chef

as long as it's not too wild of a taste (had caribou in Alaska as a kid) will never have it again............I'll try just about anything............elk still by far has been the best......not keen on deer just cause I had to eat so much of it when we were first married and it was cheap..........can't stomach it till this day............I think it's good and lean...but just can't stomach it.......same as with potpies...........4 for $1.00........I heave ho when I see them in the store.............and they are no longer 4 for a $1.00!!!

Tags
None