Favorite game meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lytle

Washing Up
So what is everyone`s favorite game meat here?

So far for game meats I have tried elk, buffalo, venison, moose, caribou, and rabbit. I`ve tried each of them only in different cuts and styles so its hard to judge until Ive tried all the different cuts and experiment with different ways to prepare them, but so far my favorite is caribou. Ive had medallions and tenderloin and both were amazing, especially with a great demi glace sauce. You wouldnt believe how **** small a caribou (and elk for that matter) tenderloin is, especially when youre so used to seeing nice big beef tenderloins everywhere. Caribou tenderloins are probably about one sixth the size in thickness of the whole loin. Theyre not quite as long either if I remember correctly. The elk tenderloins were a bit bigger, but still WAY smaller than that of beef.

Anyway, caribou just had the best overall flavour for me. And even the medallions which came from the butt of the animal (not sure if caribou primals are the same names as Ive learned for beef and such so dont wanna call it by the wrong name) were extremely tender. Way more tender than that of the elk or buffalo in my opinion. Buffalo isnt gamey enough, tasted very much like beef. Elk is more gamey than the rest Ive tried, still love it though. Caribou had just the perfect balance. So tasty. Ive only had rabbit once, it was a rabbit duo though with bacon wrapped medallions and a confit in a pastry, it was amazing, probably my second favorite though it might top caribou if I got to eat it as more.

I love game meat, next year at school we got a Seafood and Game Meats course. Im not much of a fish and shellfish guy but I like shark, game meats is what I absolutely fell in love with the business for though. Im very much looking forward to that class, both for the game and to continue my attempts at becoming a fish lover.

unless they're not cured right it's going to be hard for me to stomach any game meat.(talking about the antlered stuff not little rabbits or birds)..............the best game meat I ever had was elk............actually loved it...........

I just started to venture into game meat... not sure I have a favorite yet.

as long as it's not too wild of a taste (had caribou in Alaska as a kid) will never have it again............I'll try just about anything............elk still by far has been the best......not keen on deer just cause I had to eat so much of it when we were first married and it was cheap..........can't stomach it till this day............I think it's good and lean...but just can't stomach it.......same as with potpies...........4 for $1.00........I heave ho when I see them in the store.............and they are no longer 4 for a $1.00!!!

i'd say frog was my favourite game meat.

hey, i've never had anything bigger than a pellet gun or wrist rocket.

but seriously, rabbit, boar, and buffalo.
i've had rabbit provencal style, and boar in an italian type of pasta dish.

i wouldn't really call buffalo game meat since they're raised like cattle now. no more chasing down tatonka on horseback with bows and arrows. but i have had everything from tenderloin, to rib steaks, to ground round burgers. good stuff.

Couple of months ago, I wouldn't have said this, but, my nephew knows how to cook wild pig and that has become my favorite along with deer.

I've tried a lot - phesant I haven't cooked properly yet so unceratin. We do like venison and recently had some water buffalo.

hmmm, does frog fall under meat or fish :wacko:

ok, science lesson grade 3..........it's not a meat.......it's an amphibian..........if you want to put it under a meat go ahead or if a fish go ahead.........but I think that you;ll win brownie points just for eating them in the first place..........maybe in the South, however...........so what go for it.............

It's been so long since I've had rabbit I can't remember what it tasted like.

We will definitely eat some venison when/if we get some. I don't hunt, but have friends and relatives that do.

Frog legs. MMMMMM! There used to be a truck stop about an hour from where I'm currently living, you would order Frog Legs and Onion Rings, and would get a HUGE platter of each, enough to feed 3 people.

I would like to try more wild game. I just need a source of the game meat. I don't really have the time/money to hunt, so I'm really limited.

You can't even find frog legs around here anymore, Allen. The seafood stores that used to carry them went out of business. (so I guess that makes them sefood expat, lol). Maybe a restaurant supplier might have them.
When I was younger I used to camp with a group not too far from a golf course I used to play at..... lots of ponds..... ;^)
Now I'm in the mood for frog legs.

You can't even find frog legs around here anymore, Allen. The seafood stores that used to carry them went out of business. (so I guess that makes them sefood expat, lol). Maybe a restaurant supplier might have them.
When I was younger I used to camp with a group not too far from a golf course I used to play at..... lots of ponds..... ;^)
Now I'm in the mood for frog legs.

pickles,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what happened to the rabbit........we just learned that our daughter's smelly rabbit is to hang around another 6 months.........all of us are getting tired of taking care of her.................

Back
Top Bottom