"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 12-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
Sous Chef

We cull 3 ducks in the spring which are as big as a goose after they have eaten well as you say. One fois I leave whole and freeze for a terrine later in the summer, one I marinate in port, season with S&P and cook, rolled like a sausage in two layers of clingfilm. The first layer is punched with holes. The second layer is wrapped tightly around and tied at the ends. As it poaches, the excess fat is trapped between the 2layers and when set provides a 'coat until needed. This I can then freeze in slices. The third fois is cut into 3 smaller portions and canned. Great for canapes when a couple of mates come calling.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's not easy to protest when there's a metal pipe stuffed in your throat. The geese do suffer.

California's 2012 Ban on Force-Feeding for Foie Gras : The Humane Society of the United States
That's certainly one opinion, but it isn't the only one. Other studies, including one conducted by the American Veterinary Medical Association "indicate a minimum of adverse effects on the birds involved".

Foie gras controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
Wine Guy

But it's a controversial topic, I'll admit.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post

That's certainly one opinion, but it isn't the only one.

Foie gras controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I used to have a neighbor who left his dog tied up outside on a short leash 23 hours a day. I guess he didn't think it was cruel, but I sure did. I suppose you could say that's "controversial," too, since he and I disagreed.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I used to have a neighbor who left his dog tied up outside on a short leash 23 hours a day. I guess he didn't think it was cruel, but I sure did. I suppose you could say that's "controversial," too, since he and I disagreed.
I suppose it's a little difficult to say whether force feeding a goose is or isn't cruel unless you are, in fact, a goose. The same goes for the dog. You're making an inference based on how a human might feel under the same conditions.

If you actually took the time to read the article I linked to, you will see that several different groups came away with differing opinions. Just like you and I. And whether you agree with my opinion or not, I'm still entitled to it.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I suppose it's a little difficult to say whether force feeding a goose is or isn't cruel unless you are, in fact, a goose. The same goes for the dog. You're making an inference based on how a human might feel under the same conditions.
No, I'm making an inference based on behavioral observation, just as the researchers in the article did. Dogs are very expressive; it's not hard to tell when they're happy, sad or lonely.

Quote:
If you actually took the time to read the article I linked to, you will see that several different groups came away with differing opinions. Just like you and I. And whether you agree with my opinion or not, I'm still entitled to it.
I did read most of the article, and I saw that different observers came to different conclusions. Not unusual. When they say that the force-fed ducks and geese move away from the feeder, though, and those fed in a normal manner moved toward them, I think the meaning of the behavior is pretty clear.

No one said you weren't entitled to your opinion. I believe that opinions ought to be backed up with facts and logic, though.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
Wine Guy

In the interest of not littering up this thread with a prolonged back and forth argument, I'm going to bow out now. As I stated, I have my own opinion. You have yours. Let's leave it at that.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
In the interest of not littering up this thread with a prolonged back and forth argument, I'm going to bow out now. As I stated, I have my own opinion. You have yours. Let's leave it at that.
Works for me
Old 12-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #19
Master Chef

Never having eaten real Foie Gras, I wonder if a really good pate' measures up in flavor and/or texture.

I user turkey or chicken liver, with butter, herbs, and spices. It's really tasty, and luxuriously smooth.

So, what is it that makes foie gras so special, from someone really good with culinary descriptions, who has eaten it?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #20
Wine Guy

Just one point of clarification, paté is a spread that can be made from any kind of liver, including foie gras. As mentioned above foie gras is specifically liver from a goose or duck that suffers from what we refer to in humans as "fatty liver disease".

I've had it both here and abroad. I think the best way to describe the taste is that it has a very rich, buttery texture with only a mild livery taste. If you enjoy the taste of liver, chances are it's something you will like a lot.

I know you're not a drinking man, Chief, but it goes great with a nice sweet Sauternes wine.

Tags
None