fresh deer killed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forever3

Assistant Cook
Due to a recent auto accident, i have aquired the hind quaters of a large buck. Is it imparitive that the meat did not bleed out? and why?

Last edited:
Two schools of thought I have heard around the council fire....some prefer to process as is....some prefer to soak in a salt brine for a day or so to draw out some of the blood then process...I have done it both ways...When possible I prefer to age it for 7 to 10 days at 40 degrees then process...

My husband has had quite a lot of experience butchering venison, and he says to bone it out, starting above the knee and working up. He says not to saw on the bone. Wash it off and get it cooled down. No need to hang.
The ham will make some great roasts. Be sure to get out most of the silverskin.

Constance said:
My husband has had quite a lot of experience butchering venison, and he says to bone it out, starting above the knee and working up. He says not to saw on the bone. Wash it off and get it cooled down. No need to hang.
The ham will make some great roasts. Be sure to get out most of the silverskin.

Could you ask (or do you know) why it is not recommended to saw the bone? Just gathering information for future hunts, that caught my attention

Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom