Fried Turtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Fried Turtle

1 turtle, approximately 12 inches in diameter
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 (6 ounce) can evaporated milk
Flour to coat
Kill turtle by removing head and dress as follows;

Dip in boiling water. Remove immediately.
Straighten legs, tail and neck, one at a time, and scrape off excess skin with sharp knife. Remove lower shell with knife and cut off legs, neck and tail, and reserve.
Discard the rest of the turtle.
Chill overnight.
Dip turtle pieces in milk and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Coat with flour. Add enough vegetable oil to 3/4 cover turtle pieces. Add turtle and cook over medium heat until well browned. Turn and reduce to low heat; cover and cook for 2 hours or until tender.
Make gravy from pan drippings, if desired.

img_265643_0_e8ca499688c7514c6963e08b46a8441f.jpg
Hey, Mikey, Raphael, what are we going to do with this guy??

................one way to find out:chef:

i love alligator-

my son and our wives went to a restaraunt recently ehre i had ostrich, wife had kangaroo, son had bison and daughter-in-law had a BEAUTIFUL gator-tail steak.................the 'roo was, in my opinion, the best of the four.:pig:

It's 75043, I live in Texas around the Dallas area so anywhere around there would be great. I know my boyfriend loves to eat unique dishes like that and I'd love to try some and maybe make some of my own.

VERMILION CAJUN SEAFOOD AND GRILL

4447 N. Central Expressway, Suite 100
Dallas
Texas
Tel: 214 522 0218
.has the venison, buffalo angle covered-- still looking...........:rolleyes:

Ummm - you didn't mention if this was a "Tried and True" recipe. . . .

i don't post stuff i haven't eaten--- wish other people would do the same............
granny fed me many different things, long before there was a food fair, acme, or such...............
i've eaten squirrel, ground hog, possum, turtle, sunfish, carp, even a skinny fox.............

my thoughts are that after the next dinosaur killer hits, y'all are gonna have to change your eating habits or starve............granny merely had me in training for the event, 50 years ago...

by the way- TNT means i tried it and liked it- doesn't mean it will be "TNT" for you! don't trust "TNT" any more than any other recipe offered...the only "TNT" recipe is one YOU have tried and liked..................... and offered.......

Last edited:
Why was the foxy skinny?

I think it is great that you try so many different things. More people should be as adventurous.

I think the TNT esignation is helpful in knowing that a recipe actually works the way it is written. No so much that someone liked the taste. Although that can come in handy once you know what else that person likes. It is kind of like movie reviewers. You have to find one who shares your taste in movies and then you can get a good idea based on their reviews.

luckytrim said:
VERMILION CAJUN SEAFOOD AND GRILL

4447 N. Central Expressway, Suite 100
Dallas
Texas
Tel: 214 522 0218
.has the venison, buffalo angle covered-- still looking...........:rolleyes:

That one's pretty close by, thanks for your help. I can't wait to try it! Just let me know as you find more places:)

.................not having much luck with texas........usually, it's a cajun or creole' bistro that serves exotic meats........... check your phone listings and make a call or two..... i bet somebody can give you a heads-up on where to go.

here's a link to the one i went to............it'll give you an idea of what to look for.............
LT

http://www.creole-cafe.com/welcome.html

Last edited:
When we were first married had green turtle for breakfast in the FL keys.

It seemed, no it was, in a run down joint. Later found it was a very famous run down joint.

Go figure.

Loved the turtle but then, shortly thereafter, green turtles became endangered so no more green turtle, for breakfast or otherwise.

Have not found any other eating turtle since.

When we lived in MA came across what we later realized was probably the world record snapping turtle on the road. We wanted to try to nab it, but Bill, the one-eyed real estate agent we were with, definitely did not want that in his trunk. Never could figure out why, but did not buy a house through him (nothing to do with the turtle incident. The guy could not sell a snake to a mongoose).

Have not seen any but a few very small ones about here (VA), and darn few of those.

As far as gator goes, tried it several times when we lived in FL. Just never thrilled us enough to try to make it ourselves.

Hope you enjoyed it, sounds good.

Auntdot - you must not be looking in the right places - lol!!

The only snapping turtles I've seen here in VA have been the size of garbage can lids!! And I'm not kidding. In fact, just the year before last I was lucky not to lose my hand to a huge female that had buried herself in the compost in my vegetable garden where I was weeding - I'm guessing looking for a good egglaying spot, as the closest farm pond is about a mile away.

Using a shovel, we put her in the back of the pickup & deposted her in the closest stream. I know a lot of people kill them because they eat ducklings & such, but I can't do that. Had a cousin who used to eat them regularly, but couldn't do that either.

luckytrim said:
.................not having much luck with texas........usually, it's a cajun or creole' bistro that serves exotic meats........... check your phone listings and make a call or two..... i bet somebody can give you a heads-up on where to go.

here's a link to the one i went to............it'll give you an idea of what to look for.............
LT

http://www.creole-cafe.com/welcome.html

Thanks! I'll see what I can find here:)

Alligator tail is so good, I have a good recipe for alligator,
First Kill the Alligator by...
on second thought you better just leave the alligator alone.......
:rolleyes:
But seriously I enjoy some good alligator tail. it's really good. I've never had turtle, but i hear that it tatstes really good as well.

Back
Top Bottom