Game cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicklord1

Senior Cook
is anyone here on this forum knowledgeable about game if so plz reply or pm thanks alot

Both BassPro.com and amazon.com have a good selection of Game cook books. Just type "Game Cooking" into the search window.

What kind of "game" nick? If you could narrow your search to a specific critter we probably have someone here who hunts and/or cooks it.

Well its a bit complicated as i buying a whole bunch of it , in a months time ,

pigeon , pheasant , partridge , boar , venison , rabbit , hare , teal ,

i am bit worried about the extent that you cook the meats at so one doesnt get ill but still doesnt cook as it a piece of leather

Silly me...I opened your post because I thought it had to do with tailgate recipes before "the game"

The L. L. Bean Game and Fish Cookbook

Customer Review:

This book is THE game cookbook. Ever had anyone joke about eating 'possum? The recipes are here! There are recipes for all game animals/birds, fish and many non-game species. It is well written and, at nearly 500 pages, is a must for anyone who might be in the position to cook the ordinary as well as the unusual. It contains info on game preparation such as filleting, butchering, smoking, grilling, and more. It provides info about the game you are cooking and even describes how to determine the age of the game you are about to prepare! The authors experiences are shared and fun to read. Think of this book as the gold standard and the litmus test to which all others must pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
what do you want to know?
game cooking is not that sophisticated as most people think..

in most cases you can do it as you would do the farmed relative..

How long should you cook pheasant and partridge breasts.

Also what is the science behind game being allowed be to cooked more rare than other animals

Thank you

fair amount of experience with game. remember wild game is nearly fat free and either needs to be larded or cooked barely or long low and slow.

salt water and buttermilk soaks help tenderize and lessen gameness. Braise and fricasee over a mirepoix are great for game. wild rice is a natural accompaniment. red currant jelly is a great sweetener for pan gravies of game dishes (also very authentic dates back to colonial times.

check out Williamsburg VA (Christiana Campbell's tavern) Phila PA (City Tavern), for great recipes and methods. Also look into the variety of Brunswick stews using game etc.

enjoy!

There are some good Two Fat Ladies recipes that include game.

I believe that the logic behind some people cooking game animals less than domestically raised critters (even if they are the same species) is the belief that they are not as likely to be contaminated with Salmonella or E. Coli.

I am not a fan of answering a question by saying, "Google it", but in this case where there are so many possibilities - trying Googleing on the specific type of game you want, for example: "pheasant recipes" ... you'll find hundreds to choose from.

Last edited:
I think it is more b/c of the fact that it is so lean and will overcook if cooked as long as farmed animals.

Back
Top Bottom