"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Head Chef

Goose jerky and hot sticks

My friend at work made seriously some of the best jerky and hotsticks I've tasted, with wild Goose!! It was wonderful. He used a mix for the marinade for the jerky and he sliced it so thin, then didn't over dry/smoke it, it was smokey yes but not oversmoked. He used a mix for the hotsticks and added cayenne, they were excellent and not too hot and smokey, again, not too smokey, but nice. It was his first time smoking, I was totally impressed! I think he found his calling!
The jerky had a tender texture, but dry, smokey, glazed, the glaze left a sheen on it (oh I want my jerky to be like that), the smokiness wasn't overly smokey and still unmistakable. He told me he used hickory.
The hotsticks were dry (not fatty) but not unmoist, not much fat, I really liked them as they were, perfectly not oversmoked, not over salted, spiced to 'warm' on the senses, totally enjoyable.

Now I've had excellent goose jerky, salmon jerky, venison jerky, beef jerky.... I want my venison jerky (tomorrow--the roasts are thawing) to be this good. I want them to be dry but not crisp, smokey but not overly so, the glaze to make them shine a bit.

Any tips? I know we have some smoker experts out there--chime in please. Thanks in advance, ~Bliss

Tags
None