Goose Liver Pate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Then you will also have the chicken manure to spread on the garden to grow more veggies!!!

See? It just keeps getting more perfect.

My only hesitation on chickens in the backyard is...city rats. :ermm:

There is a small shopping center behind our garden wall. After switching to a metal trashcan, we are no longer bothered by them...but I'll bet chickens would be a lure. :neutral: I've even found a coop that I would like to get. And the fact the city allows up to four hens in our very historic neighborhood is so tempting.

Thank goodness for city rats....

:LOL:

We would have nice chickens that lay nice eggs!

And you know...I'm hesitant to plant a cherry tree for the same reason. :(

I think I smell a rat...

Rats....*shudders*

We have neighborhood city foxes too. One would think they would drive off the rats but the foxes are afraid of the rats....which look as big as cats.

We would have nice chickens that lay nice eggs!

And you know...I'm hesitant to plant a cherry tree for the same reason. :(

Rats....*shudders*

We have neighborhood city foxes too. One would think they would drive off the rats but the foxes are afraid of the rats....which look as big as cats.

I was talking about Frank...:LOL: And him being thankful for city rats.

In another thread I mentioned the wild goose I was brought today (which is in the brine and gets cooked tomorrow).

Last year it was just the goose. This year he brought me.. wait for it....

all the livers from all the geese!!! 13 goose livers, just a tad over 1 pound.

Oh my.

Now I have a large quantity of goose liver pate.

Anyone know how this stuff freezes?

Unless you made pate out of those livers, you don't have pate. YET!

You will have to make it.

Yes, the livers freeze beautifully, and yes, the pate will freeze, but less beautifully.

So my advice is to freeze the livers uncooked and make pate when you have found a recipe you want to make. Or when you're getting ready to throw a shindig. :chef:

Lucky you!

Now, these livers are not foie gras, unless the geese have been through gavage, so any recipe for chicken or duck liver pate will work for the goose liver.

Unless you made pate out of those livers, you don't have pate. YET!

You will have to make it.

Yes, the livers freeze beautifully, and yes, the pate will freeze, but less beautifully.

So my advice is to freeze the livers uncooked and make pate when you have found a recipe you want to make. Or when you're getting ready to throw a shindig. :chef:

Lucky you!

Now, these livers are not foie gras, unless the geese have been through gavage, so any recipe for chicken or duck liver pate will work for the goose liver.

I have made the pate, and it is quite nice. We have been snacking on it and I have a small bit left.

I understand the difference between foie gras and goose livers, which is why I said I had goose livers.

I have made the pate, and it is quite nice. We have been snacking on it and I have a small bit left.

I understand the difference between foie gras and goose livers, which is why I said I had goose livers.

Aha! :) Your post didn't make that clear. I know some folks who thought the livers they had were "pate." and I didn't want that to happen to you.

I love when "goodies" like that come my way. A year or so ago I ordered chicken livers from my poultry farmer, and they asked me if I "minded" if they subbed duck livers at the same price....... :LOL:

Aha! :) Your post didn't make that clear. I know some folks who thought the livers they had were "pate." and I didn't want that to happen to you.

I love when "goodies" like that come my way. A year or so ago I ordered chicken livers from my poultry farmer, and they asked me if I "minded" if they subbed duck livers at the same price....... :LOL:
Sorry if it was unclear.

Did you tell them you would suck it up and then double the order? ;)

I have made pate out of duck, chicken and now goose livers. I think I like the duck best, but the goose didn't suck. The chicken seems to produce a harsher pate. The goose was a tad stronger than the duck, but that could be because of the wild goose as opposed to the farmed duck.

Can't post the recipe here because it's copyright by another author, but I have a great recipe for chicken liver "mousse" that really smooths out that flavor you are finding harsh. I can pm it to you later, if you'd like.

I actually used those particular duck livers for bruschetta topping, embellished with a little garlic and dry Marsala. :)

My only hesitation on chickens in the backyard is...city rats. :ermm:

So I'm thinking why is she worried about pigeons ( we used to call them city rats or flying rats), then I realized you meant real honest-to-god rat rats. :( I'd be concerned too.

So I'm thinking why is she worried about pigeons ( we used to call them city rats or flying rats), then I realized you meant real honest-to-god rat rats. :( I'd be concerned too.

I was confused for a minute too Dave about the difference between city rats and country rats. City rats dress up for dinner I think.

Country rats are easy going. City rats pack, wear bandannas and try to rule the neighborhood.

We needed a new trash can a few years ago so I bought this nice wheeled jobbie. It took the rats one night to chew through the heavy rubbermaid thing and get to the trash. A couple nights later they had a second hole, near the bottom this time. We have metal cans now, and I am surprised they don't just knock em over or take a torch to them. :LOL:

I've got chickens and a pigeon... or the pigeon has me :huh:
No rats though.
And to keep this OT, no paté either :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom