Ground Elk - what's your favorite way to utilize it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I have a pound of ground Elk in my freezer and I want to use it in such a way, as to enhance the flavor of the meat.

I don't want just sub it out for a typical ground beef recipe -

:chef: so what have you got?

(PS: due to food intolerances/allergies/food choices, it can't have any soy or grain products)

When given ground venison of any kind (I'm told the word venison covers all of them; elk, antelope, deer, etc), my go-to is chili. Turn it into meat-balls and make stroganof. Any red-wine based recipe is good with game meat.

I would go for some chopped sauteed onion a dash of ground cloves, some ground coriander and sea salt and black pepper. Make burgers or meatballs.
If you there's a pastry you can eat this would make a lovely pie filling.

If you want to know you're eating elk, the less you do to it the better. I think its flavor would be lost in a dish that includes other strong flavors.

I'd grill them as burgers. Serve them on a bun or on a plate along with a starch and a veggie. If you want, you could serve it with a salsa or chutney on the side to dress it up.

If you want to know you're eating elk, the less you do to it the better. I think its flavor would be lost in a dish that includes other strong flavors.

I'd grill them as burgers. Serve them on a bun or on a plate along with a starch and a veggie. If you want, you could serve it with a salsa or chutney on the side to dress it up.

That's how I used elk burger before. It was straight elk, no fat mixed in. For all I had heard about elk I was not impressed. It might as well have been a deer burger. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but for all the hype I was expecting more. Bison is still my favorite non-beef red meat.

Claire - the meatballs had definitely crossed my mind :)

Snip - that would be a lovely pie, and a good one to keep in mind when I'm not going paleo for a meal :D

Hey there pacanis :) Long time no see!

I'm a huge fan of Bison too - probably eat it 2-3x each week. However, I have a sweet bf who brought me elk. I was thinking of the same thing, as maybe little meatballs or bun-less sliders (well, I guess that would be flat meatballs....)...

however, the idea you have, Andy M, about adding a chutney - oooh that's a good one. I really do want to let the meat shine through the ingredients. And putting vegs and starch next to it - perf.

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much!

When we had ground bison, I made burgers seasoned only with salt and pepper and served them with chimichurri sauce. It was really good.

I would make it as a burger patty, grilled with S&P, sauteed onions and mushrooms in butter. You will want the fat from the butter. Love Elk.

Were we confused?
I knew jkath wasn't European ;)
Yup, that's how I knew jkath meant wapiti and not moose.

But the Europeans think we are talking about moose when we say elk. Here in Canada it's mostly known as wapiti nowadays. It's the Cree word for the critter.

Claire - the meatballs had definitely crossed my mind :)

Snip - that would be a lovely pie, and a good one to keep in mind when I'm not going paleo for a meal :D

Hey there pacanis :) Long time no see!

I'm a huge fan of Bison too - probably eat it 2-3x each week. However, I have a sweet bf who brought me elk. I was thinking of the same thing, as maybe little meatballs or bun-less sliders (well, I guess that would be flat meatballs....)...

however, the idea you have, Andy M, about adding a chutney - oooh that's a good one. I really do want to let the meat shine through the ingredients. And putting vegs and starch next to it - perf.

You guys are awesome! Thank you so much!

If you do try it, it is best made with a venison roast. The venison must be cooked for hours with the same spices, some finely chopped bacon fat and a little water to cover. The meat must be pulled apart into fine bits like pulled pork. Then you have a traditional South African game pie filling.

There is really not much you can do with only 1 lb of Elk. Other then burgers. It is said that Elk, as far as wild game meat, is the closest thing to beef. So cook it the way you like your beef.You can also add a pound of pork and a pound of beef to it and make chili or meatloaf.

loving all these!!

Wapiti... okay, now that's just a cool word to say. :D

I'll let you guys know what I do with it, and when I do.
I'm also going to be playing around with frogs legs soon.

loving all these!!

I think wapiti is a cool word too. That's the main reason I like using it.

loving all these!!

Here's an idea for frog legs!
39817-albums371-picture4396.jpg

Back
Top Bottom