Help! Deer Livers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdswife

Chef Extraordinaire
Paul's home! Yipppppeeeee:)
He didn't shoot a deer (again) BOOO-hooooo! :(
But, he met a man who shot one and his new friend
gave him the Liver and the heart. :)

I didn't realize how large deer livers are. I cut it up and froze most of it...but, left a chunck out for dinner. What do I do with it. Can I just dust it with seasoned flour and fry it like I do beef liver??

How about the heart? I boil lamb heart with onions, carrots and celery... will that work?

Thanks in advance.

Trish:):):):):)

You can cook the liver and heart the same as you would any other liver and heart. They are the same organs, with the same textures and cooking requirements - just a different critter.

Thanks Michael. I've never cooked deer before so
I'm a little nervous.

smiles, Trish

The texture and cooking requirements are the same ... flavor is something else! If I remember right ... my grandmother soaked the liver in buttermilk for an hour or two, then rendered out some bacon (if she didn't already have any drippin's) and fried the sliced liver (dredged in flour) with onions in that - basically she just made smothered liver and onions - and made a roux and added some milk to make a gravy at the end.

I honestly don't remember ever having venison heart - but I did have beef heart a few times.

darn it anyway.. the guy who shot the deer thought that he should
take all the "good" parts.

Michael, your grandma sounds like a good cook.
I don't have any butter milk so I'll just have to do it with flour.
I love deer meat but have never tried the liver or heart. Beef and lamb heart
is really GREAT though!

Buttermilk is an excellent idea! I always soak game in that.

Another thing is that adrenalin makes the meat taste more gamey and of course that comes through the heart and liver fastest. Therefore I would certainly soak with buttermilk. Other than that I think Michael's ideas are wonderful.

My Gram aould do a venison heart like this:

Wash and pat dry. Drizzle the cavity with some warmed bacon drippings, then suff with your favorite bread stuffing. Layer the bottom of your roasting pan with very thinnly sliced potates, pepper heavily with fresh cracked black pepper. Then layer with thick slices of a good smoked bacon. Place the stuffed heart on the bacon strips. Now layer the heart(top of)with more of the bacon strips, bringing the bottom strips up and connecting with toothpicks. Now layer thinnly sliced potatoes over the bacon strips. Again sprinkle heavily with fresh cracked black pepper.

Now turn the oven on to 400 degrees F, do not preheat. Place the covered heart in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the covering and turn the heat down to 325 degrees F, roast for 1 1/2 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.

Remove from the oven and baste generously with the dripping, while letting it cool for 10 minutes, remove the toothpicks. Slice as a roast(a little thicker is always nice). Serve with creamed carrots & leeks, crisp cabbage salad, and a nice crusty bread.

My grandma cooked regular calves frequently, which is probably why I like liver to this day. She always cooked about 4 slices of bacon first, then S&P'd the liver, dredged in seasoned flour, and seared lightly in the bacon grease with the onions on top. Then she'd put in a couple tablespoons of Coke, turn the liver over so the onions were on the bottom, lower the heat, cover, and let steam until tender. The important thing is not to overcook the liver.
I don't know why this method wouldn't work just fine on venison liver.
I'm sure the soak in butter milk (or plain milk, or beer) would be a good a good thing.

Deer Liver is a great meat, I would dice into 1 inch cubes soak in milk overnight
if you want a richer flavor - using a larding needle thread thick strips of bacon through the cubes
In a large dutch oven I would simmer mixed vegies in milk with the liver for about 2 hours. - 150 C in the oven
- Important vegies - celery, onions, and in the last 1/2 hour or so - potatoes
you could throw the finely chopped heart in as well if you want - can be a little tough at times but the flavor is worth it. Stir full or sour cream in just before you serve it.

Back
Top Bottom