Hunting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wolves can find their own meat, and they don't need a gun. :LOL:
The "wolves" I referred to are not mammals, but bug larvae.
And I reckon it's like Josie Wales said in that movie....
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."

My dad told me that it's the same with rabbits. (worms or parasites during warmer months)
We've never eaten any small game during spring, summer or fall in our house when we were young (dad was an avid hunter, also used to administer hunting tests, and slice/hang deer for neighbors friends and family)
We ate deer meat year round cause dad would freeze our venison as soon as butchered and cured.

... ha ha ha , grew up looking at deer heads on our walls and playing with deer skulls mom would boil flesh off for those that needed the skulls. (Gross to think about now.) ...
Quick question... I never paid attention, how does anyone "cure" their venison here" ?

ALSO HOW does anyone here marinate theirs to rid gaminess?

I used to use McCormicks "Hunters Marinade" but I think they discontinued. Been a while since I had to look for it cause I had CASES of it and just recently ran out.

When I see pics of hunters with bow and arrows, I see these convoluted bows that require an engineering degree to just load the arrow into it. Does any bow and arrow hunter just use a simple bow anymore? Or an I living in dreamland? I know my ancestors didn't have those fancy bows nor did Robin Hood. Yet they managed to live off the land.

Now I realize that the arrow may not travel as fast from the traditional bow and that when in the woods it could possibly hit a tree before the animal. But isn't that just part of the sport? Not only fighting the animals, but all the other elements that come into play? :angel:

When I see pics of hunters with bow and arrows, I see these convoluted bows that require an engineering degree to just load the arrow into it. Does any bow and arrow hunter just use a simple bow anymore? Or an I living in dreamland? I know my ancestors didn't have those fancy bows nor did Robin Hood. Yet they managed to live off the land.

Now I realize that the arrow may not travel as fast from the traditional bow and that when in the woods it could possibly hit a tree before the animal. But isn't that just part of the sport? Not only fighting the animals, but all the other elements that come into play? :angel:

I have used recurves, straight bows, and compound bows. Each has its own strength. My personal favorite bow for target shooting is the recurve. Mine has a 50 lb. draw weight and shoots a 28 inch arrow. It is smooth, quiet, and makes me do the work.

My favorite hunting bow is the compound. It isn't as smooth as is the recurve, but is easier to shoot. The compound bow allows me to pull a greater weight, as once you reach peak weight (70 lbs. on my compound) it then stores up to 20% of the peak power in the cams located on the limb ends. Therefore, I'm only holding 56 lbs. at full draw. I can hold it longer if need be. That means that if the deer isn't cooperating, and has, say, stopped behind a tree limb, I can wait for it to move before taking the shot. I purchased that beast in 1975. I gave it to my eldest son 20-soe years later, when the bow grew too young for me. I said "Son, here's the beast." He replied; "No Dad, that's the legend." I knew many a grown man that couldn't pull that bow. I bought it when I weighed in at 139 lbs., and could pull it all day long. My very athletic son couldn't pull it until he was 19 years of age, and weighed in at 170 lbs.

I wouldn't mind having the newest hyper-speed bow. It shoots at 365 feet per second. I initially purchased my compound after I'd made a perfect shot, but the deer was gone by the time the arrow got to where it had been standing. With the compound, I still needed the same shooting skill, but didn't have to be as close to the animal, and that missed shot was only 40 foot or so away.

So yes, after shooting bows since I was seven years old, I love compound bows, and recurves. I'd like to make my own straight bow one of these days. There's a nearby community college that has a class on making them. That would be a fun class for me.:mrgreen: Then if I mastered that craft, I could be called an artist in bow making, as well as fly tying and cooking, and some would say, poetry and creative writing (that would be a very small group;)). I certainly ain't no musical artist, unless you call putting great songs on the stereo artistic.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I don't hunt because I don't feel it worth it for me.

To much time involved.

I do let people hunt on my property.

They share with me what they harvest with me because they respect the opportunity to take the bounty God has given us.

I'm grateful to accept what they offer and wish them luck in they're hunting. It's not as easy as it seems.

Bow or Gun the result is the same. It's food on the table for a stomach that needs to be filled. I'm glad to see that happen.

We have way too many deer around these parts and I'd rather see them on some ones plate rather then as a road kill that gets tossed into the garbage heap.

I would think to go from start to finish would be the ultimate sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. Make your own bow and arrows, hunt down the animal, field dress it, and then make a meal for you family. Those days are gone forever unless you live in the wilds of Alaska or are a bushman in deepest of Africa. So many skills required on so many levels. :angel:

ALSO HOW does anyone here marinate theirs to rid gaminess?

I used to use McCormicks "Hunters Marinade" but I think they discontinued. Been a while since I had to look for it cause I had CASES of it and just recently ran out.
I have never marinated game to get rid of gaminess. I have never tasted gaminess except when my parents had wild duck in some upscale resto. It had been hung for a week to develop that "special gamey flavour". Yuck.

To bring up an old thread.
I used to hunt with a PSE dream season Evo. Traded it for an airrifle to control pests in our orchard and veggie garden.
I'm getting a PSE stiletto soon, just needs a new string.

In the process of licensing a CZ Brno .22 and hoping to add a 30-06 to my collection for next hunting season (southern hemisphere).
I used to get my meat processed into biltong (I prefer it to jerky) and dry wors (a south African cured sausage)
Now I'm planning on doing all the processing myself.
One or two roasts, tenderloin for sous vide and the rest biltong.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom