ISO - Deer/Elk Recipe ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfemom

Assistant Cook
Mostly all the meat we have in our freezer is deer or Elk. I am at a loss sometimes as to what to make with it. We have tenderloins, roasts, Steaks, all the usual cuts. If anyone has some good recipes they could share with me that would be great!

It sounds like you have some great stuff for the slow cooker! Make like you would a beef stew, with veggies, herbs, maybe an envelope of dry onion soup mix.

My husband and grandson used to hunt, and I've cooked a lot of venison. You can make Italian "beef" for sandwiches by putting the meat in the crockpot with a beer (or a can of beef broth and a litttle vinegar) and a packet or two of Italian dressing mix (or Italian seasoning.)

It also makes great BBQ...put it in the pot with a bottle of your favorite bottled BBQ sauce. Something kind of sweet, like Maull's is good for this.

Swiss steak is another good one...pound the meat, rub onion soup mix and flour into it, put in a baking dish with a can of tomato sauce (plain), potato wedges and baby carrots. Mushrooms and slice onions, even green pepper strips are also good additions.

Sausage and burger also come to mind, do you have a meat grinder?

When I had access to venison, I made this a lot. Now I make it with beef.

Venison and Ale Stew

Ingredients:

Flour (for dredging the meat)
2 lb. venison, cubed
1/4 c oil
1 c chopped onion
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
6 sprigs of parsley
1/2 tsp peppercorns
2-3 T dark molasses
3 c beef or venison stock
4-5 potatoes, pared and diced
1/2 tsp thyme (or 2-3 sprigs)
1 bay leaf
4-5 carrots, sliced
1 lb mushrooms, sliced
12 oz ale (or beer)

Directions:

1. Dredge meat cubes in flour.
2. Brown meat on all sides in oil.
3. Remove meat from pan, add garlic and onion and cook until light golden in color.
4. Use a teaball or cheesecloth, make a bouquet garni out of the parsley, thyme, peppercorns, and 1 bay leaf (I use fresh bay leaf, but dried works).
5. Put everything either in a crockpot or large dutch oven. Cover and bring to a soft boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Correct seasoning. Thicken with additional flour, if desired. In a crockpot, cook on low or medium for 6-8 hours.

I don't know about elk, but we always prepared venison the same way one would eat beef. The only difference was my mom always warmed the plates in the oven (150-200) before serving to prevent tallow from forming on the plate before one was done. As much as I love venison, I do not like venison burgers unless the meat is 1/2 beef, 1/2 venison.

The leaner cuts are great for corning. I just made pastrami out of a lean venison roast. I brined it for to weeks in my fridge, in a corning brine (lots of recipes on the internet). I removed it from the brine, rinsed it with fresh water, then sprinkled it heavily with coarse grind black pepper, and seared it on all sides. I put a half tsp. liquid smoke onto heavy-duty foil, and carefully wrapped the roast. I cooked it in a 200' oven for four hours. When I removed it from the oven, I sliced it paper thin. I tasted a bit of it. It's yummy.

My dad used to make New England Boiled Dinner, and substitute venison for beef. It can be used in any dish that beef can be used in. I'm thinking venison would be great in a bolognese sauce, or a carne asada. It could be slow cooked, or pressure cooked until falling apart, then shredded, and seasoned with ground coriander, cuming, and fresh cilantro to make shredded beef for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, tamales, etc.

Elk had a different flavor than does venison. I would definitely roast some of it to medium rare, slice it thin, against the grain, and use it for a host of different sandwiches, such as in a pita pocket with avacado, tomato, and bean sprouts, with a touch of mayo. It would also be great placed on good, whole grain bread and topped with gravy. I believe elk would be enhanced with black pepper, and would be great on the grill, or served in cold slices, with good cheese. It would be great with Greek seasonings like a gyro. I might treat it similar to lamb. It would also be great in Hungarian Gulyash.

Also, with both the venison and elk, try marinating, or brining with herbs such as sage, thyme, and basil, and maybe some garlic, and spice with black pepper, season with salt. When the marinade is complete, cut the meat into half-inch cubes. Heat some oil in a fondue pot, and give everyone a skewer so they can stab their own meat cubes, and cook them in the hot oil.

And elk roast might make a great substitute for a standing rib roast. It would lend itself magnificently to a foil-pouch dinner, with cubed potatoes, onion, and carrot.

Just a few ideas for you. Hope they help.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've never had elk so I can't help with it but I've had venison steaks marinated in a little worcestershire sauce mixed with orange juice and that was really good. We cubed the meat and cooked it in a large fry pan with brocoli. We usualy served it over rice but it was also good with garlic bread. I've also used it as a sub for beef in chili.

Bones, brought to a boil and then simmered for 4 or more hours, make a nice stock for onion soup. Have also used such stock when making minestrone, barley soup and in chili.
The oft discarded shanks larded with bacon can be baked at 325 for about 2 hours in a covered Dutch oven or Roemertopf with sliced onions and 1 1/4" chunks of potatoes.

Last edited:
South African Game pie (Wilds Pastei)
1 Kudu or Springbuck Butt or Leg
250 gr speck (or fatty bacon) Chopped into small pieces
6 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
1 onion finely diced
Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste (we use aromat instead of salt)
Puff pastry
Water to cover

Place roast into a large casserole dish, season well with the salt and pepper, add cloves, bay leaf, onion and speck. Cover with water. Close lid and cook for 6-8 hours at 100C in the oven. Check occasionally to make sure it doesn't go dry. Add more water if needed. Meat should be fall off the bone tender and most of the liquid will be absorbed.
Pull meat apart with a fork and remove all bones. Put the shredded meat into a glass dish (lasagna dish works well) Cover with pastry, brush with beaten egg and bake till golden.
Serve as is or with Crab apple or cranberry jelly.
Smaller pies can also be made as a snack or finger food.

You could use my game pie recipe for deer if you feel like trying something new.

Thank you for all the replies!
We do have a meat grinder, we process all our own meat so it was a must in this house :) I do actually have quite a bit of ground deer. My husband brews his own beer, and its amazing to marinate deer steaks in! Thankyou for the stew idea, I find it hard to flavor my deer recipes, they can get a little bland sometimes.

Thank you for all the replies!
We do have a meat grinder, we process all our own meat so it was a must in this house :) I do actually have quite a bit of ground deer. My husband brews his own beer, and its amazing to marinate deer steaks in! Thankyou for the stew idea, I find it hard to flavor my deer recipes, they can get a little bland sometimes.
In my neck of the woods our white tail deer are frequently referred to as swamp mutton. For variety I sometimes season with rosemary. We often add 10% beef and or pork fat when grinding venison. Since we're not currently making our own candles or soap, I put the tallow trimmings into a winter bird feeder.

Venison Recipe

I love my wild game grilled..My steps start by cutting my meat one quarter inch thick, marinate and then sear on the grill at medium to medium-rare temperature for optimal tenderness. This is exactly how I prepared my wild game at my restaurant and people raved about how juicy and tender my meat was.:chef:

Venison Stew

When I had access to venison, I made this a lot. Now I make it with beef.

Venison and Ale Stew

Ingredients:

Flour (for dredging the meat)
2 lb. venison, cubed
1/4 c oil
1 c chopped onion
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
6 sprigs of parsley
1/2 tsp peppercorns
2-3 T dark molasses
3 c beef or venison stock
4-5 potatoes, pared and diced
1/2 tsp thyme (or 2-3 sprigs)
1 bay leaf
4-5 carrots, sliced
1 lb mushrooms, sliced
12 oz ale (or beer)

Directions:

1. Dredge meat cubes in flour.
2. Brown meat on all sides in oil.
3. Remove meat from pan, add garlic and onion and cook until light golden in color.
4. Use a teaball or cheesecloth, make a bouquet garni out of the parsley, thyme, peppercorns, and 1 bay leaf (I use fresh bay leaf, but dried works).
5. Put everything either in a crockpot or large dutch oven. Cover and bring to a soft boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Correct seasoning. Thicken with additional flour, if desired. In a crockpot, cook on low or medium for 6-8 hours.

I don't know about elk, but we always prepared venison the same way one would eat beef. The only difference was my mom always warmed the plates in the oven (150-200) before serving to prevent tallow from forming on the plate before one was done. As much as I love venison, I do not like venison burgers unless the meat is 1/2 beef, 1/2 venison.
I use the same procedure...but little different ingredients. And I cook in a crock pot. I use
a dutch pot to brown the meat/floured Add l chopped onion and garlic Add
2 or 3 potatoes 3 carotts 1tsp curry powder Salt pepper l cup beef stock
and 1 cup water (enough liquid to cover) Let cook 4 hours on high. Aria

Back
Top Bottom