ISO moose ideas/recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL: :LOL: No, seriously, in Alaska, alot of people live off of wild game: bear, moose, caribou, elk. So, I need to figure out how to prepare moose, as I have never made it before, but hunting season is starting, and a bull is on its way..

Uh - all you have to do is do a websearch for "moose recipes". Then you'll have more recipes than you'll probably have moose. I just typed in "moose recipes" & was inundated.

Why don't people do websearches? I'm truly puzzled.

cmoore

I can't help with moose recipes but as far as the responses we could all google anything and get the answer. The point of the forum is to have fellow members tell us their experiences, helpful hints, recipes. I am surprised at the unfriendly way you were treated.

Have you ever butchered a moose before? Is it in the same sort of species as deer or elk? I've worked with elk a little bit before, and you can find a ribeye cut in an elk that's very delicious. I imagine that a moose has a lot of fat on it- if it's well marbled meat I might simply grill the tender cuts. If it's more of a blubber on top of lean muscle sort of situation, the meat may be tougher. In that case you could probably render all that fat and confit the legs and other tough muscle.

Last edited:
being a city boy, i can only joke with you, cmoore (i hope your last name is not buttz :) )

but, would not moose be just like a giant deer? low in fat and gamey-ness depending on diet and age.

just so you don't get a bad opinion of us in the colonies, i'm gonna keep on bumping this thread until we get an answer. someone will come along who's moose is cooked! :rolleyes:

I know that moose is super lean, a friend gave us some ground like hamburger when we first moved here, and I made moose burgers out of it, and had to put a little bacon grease in to get the meat to fry right.

Katie E,
I live on the Kenai Peninsula, (fisherman's paradise) about 3 1/2 hours from Anchorage. I have a home business doing insurance inspections for risk/loss companies.

Thanks for the help, buckytom!

well moose is superlean. i would add some Panko (japanese bread crumbs) and coarse salt and pepper, and some worcheshire sauce to the patties to help hold them together.

mooseburgers are the only moose ive had. it was pretty good. if you like those try some buffalo.

no prob, cmoore.

umm, are there many moose in such a remote place? i'm thinking, bears, yeah, but moose. they need a fairly large (inland) range to survive.

in any case, we'll have an answer for you, moost urgently.

I don't know any moose recipes, but I do know the best place to shoot a moose. . . .

Right next to the pickup truck. Those babies are big and heavy.

When I cooked elk, I did it like beef, taking into account that is it leaner. Steaks have to be cooked rare--a well done elk steak can be used for shoe soles.

I visited my brother in Wyoming in January and he made me a big juicy moose burger... It was tasty. Also, he made an awesome chili with moose, rabbit, elk, and pheasant. It was awesome. But it didn't help the Buckeyes win the National Championship game. Ah well.

would not moose be just like a giant deer?

When I drove truck, I saw a picture of a semi that one of these beasts had destroyed. The moose was in the road, and when the driver honked trying to get him to move, the moose took it as a challenge apparently, and peeled that semi like a teenager opening a bag of chips. I doubt you'd run out of moose before recipes. :LOL: what does a moose weigh? 800...900 pounds... Good luck though!

I had a prosperous hunting season one year and made meat balls with venison, bear, and boar meat mixed together. I took the huge batch to work and neglected to mention the ingredients. They VANISHED. Sooooo good... then they threatened to lynch me when they asked or the recipe :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom