"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 06-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I've always wanted to try rabbit, but wouldn't have the first clue where to get one. I see bunnies hopping around the yard all the time, but I really don't want to gut and skin the thing. I like my meat to come in packages lol.
Ask in the meat department of your local supermarket. Here in L.A. they will order a rabbit for you, pick up next day.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks
Ask in the meat department of your local supermarket. Here in L.A. they will order a rabbit for you, pick up next day.
Huh, who knew? I'll have to do that. Bet a domestic raised rabbit would be good on the grill...

Old 06-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver

+1
+2
Old 06-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Huh, who knew? I'll have to do that. Bet a domestic raised rabbit would be good on the grill...
My mother used to order them from Cub Foods here. Also I do not really thing grill is the way to go. Rabbits are tough, in my opinin, and do much better as a stew.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Or braised rabbit.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #26
Sous Chef

I would probably be more likely to braise it. If I'm going to try rabbit I would like to really get to taste the different flavor. Especially since I'm unlikely to make it often, since I would have to special order it.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Supermarket rabbit doesn't taste all that much different to me from chicken dark meat pieces, and the texture is a bit different too. I used to like it and cooked it fairly often but much less often now because it's just not out on display and I either forget about it entirely or don't want to order it. I have a kind of mentality that I want to drive to the supermarket and decide right there what to have for dinner, then buy it and go home and cook it. I often don't have the patience to plan ahead.

My typical rabbit recipe was coated in seasoned flour, browned in oil, then simmered covered (braised) in wine. Usually had onions, mushrooms, maybe other vegetables included.

I don't know why supermarkets quit stocking them. Maybe people got the idea that rabbit is yucky food, or maybe supermarkets got the idea that people believe that. Maybe it's like why our lamb is so tasteless compared to decades ago.

Maybe one day they'll just have beefurkenork, a recombinant DNA animal having none of the qualities of beef, turkey, chicken or pork that make them identifiably different tastes. They could grow beefurkenorks in sausage shaped containers and just cut off some of the bottom every day while they feed the head end. Beefurkenorks wouldn't have any bones because bones are too much a bother and everybody wants skinless, boneless, white meat.

Yes I'm a bit annoyed. It seems like every year we have fewer natural products, and more products made in chemical factories.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Off topic, what does ISO stand for?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #29
Master Chef

in search of
Old 06-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
My typical rabbit recipe was coated in seasoned flour, browned in oil, then simmered covered (braised) in wine. Usually had onions, mushrooms, maybe other vegetables included.

Exactly what I used to do, before i stopped eating rabbits.

Tags
other, rabbit