ISO Rabbit Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greg Who Cooks said:
Supermarket rabbit doesn't taste all that much different to me from chicken dark meat pieces, and the texture is a bit different too. I used to like it and cooked it fairly often but much less often now because it's just not out on display and I either forget about it entirely or don't want to order it. I have a kind of mentality that I want to drive to the supermarket and decide right there what to have for dinner, then buy it and go home and cook it. I often don't have the patience to plan ahead.

My typical rabbit recipe was coated in seasoned flour, browned in oil, then simmered covered (braised) in wine. Usually had onions, mushrooms, maybe other vegetables included.

I don't know why supermarkets quit stocking them. Maybe people got the idea that rabbit is yucky food, or maybe supermarkets got the idea that people believe that. Maybe it's like why our lamb is so tasteless compared to decades ago.

Maybe one day they'll just have beefurkenork, a recombinant DNA animal having none of the qualities of beef, turkey, chicken or pork that make them identifiably different tastes. They could grow beefurkenorks in sausage shaped containers and just cut off some of the bottom every day while they feed the head end. Beefurkenorks wouldn't have any bones because bones are too much a bother and everybody wants skinless, boneless, white meat.

Yes I'm a bit annoyed. It seems like every year we have fewer natural products, and more products made in chemical factories.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Well we still have the basic problem, the first thing in any rabbit recipe is to get a rabbit.

So every rabbit recipe starts out with, "first get a rabbit..."

Got rabbit? :)

Haha, nice.
In my case, I ended up buying mine at a farmers market. $7/lb. Seemed kinda expensive, but I figured it was reasonable enough to buy at least once and give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom