"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 06-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Off topic, what does ISO stand for?
You seem to be ISO the meaning of ISO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Exactly what I used to do, before i stopped eating rabbits.
Why did you stop?

My biggest reason for stopping is that I probably just forgot rabbit since I don't see it in the meat section any more.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks

You seem to be ISO the meaning of ISO!

Why did you stop?

My biggest reason for stopping is that I probably just forgot rabbit since I don't see it in the meat section any more.
Well thanks for nothing lol. I googled it ;)

Old 06-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Well thanks for nothing lol. I googled it ;)
Your question was answered in a reply preceding mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
in search of
I would gladly have given you the correct answer had it not already been addressed. I'm happy Google is working for you.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Oh, whoops- I didn't catch that. Thanks Charlie!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Well we still have the basic problem, the first thing in any rabbit recipe is to get a rabbit.

Possibilities:

(1) Find a rabbit.

(1a) Find a rabbit dead of natural causes. Not good, rabbits probably die of predation or disease more often than from natural causes. And anyway, if a rabbit died of old age it would probably be tough. And you'd have to find it before it spoiled.

(1b) Find a rabbit dead of accident: Road kill! Same problem, gotta find it before it spoils, and also concern about contamination from road surface and tires. Note that rabbit might be partially gone due to coyotes, crows and buzzards.

(1c) Find a rabbit dead of predation: Biggest problem here, do you want to fight a starving, hungry coyote over a freshly killed rabbit? Maybe even a rabid coyote?

I think finding a dead rabbit can probably be ruled out for all of the reasons above.

(2) Kill a rabbit.

(2a) Run him down with your car! As I said above, we have a ccontamination problem between tire and pavement, even if you freshly washed your tires before going out on a kill run. ()

(2b) Shoot him! This probably works okay in some areas. Before you get too happy about knocking off a rabbit for the cost of a .22 short (pretty cheap even if you miss 99 rabbits before you bag Thumper) there's a concern that your dead rabbit might have Myxomatosis (a common rabbit disease in many parts of the world).

(3) Raise a rabbit.

(3a) They're cute. Probably the best advice is to not give them names. Anyway you have a potential problem in finding the best way to kill them when they get big enough to eat. (Run them down with your car? See above...)

(3b) Kill Thumper? Yeah, right... Good lesson for your kids: we eat what we kill.

(4) Order rabbit at a restaurant.

(4a) Well this forum is about cooking. It would be called Discuss Restaurants if we were all into dining out.

(5) Buy a rabbit!

(5a) Buy a rabbit at a pet store. Okay probably very expensive, maybe we shouldn't even to there with this discussion.

(5b) I wish we still had rabbit between the chicken and the pork. Pork is the new white meat. Rabbit is the new/old dark chicken.

(5c) Order a rabbit. As I said earlier I have a bit of a problem wanting to drive to the supermarket and buy dinner and go home and cook it. I guess any future rabbit I eat will have to be ordered.

So every rabbit recipe starts out with, "first get a rabbit..."

Got rabbit?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

So far today, beagle and I have spotted at minimum 10 adult rabbits. At least 4 were in my yard, and 6 more on our walk. I suspect we will have a nest somewhere like we had last year. Help yourselves!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1783707068.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	13855
Old 06-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
So far today, beagle and I have spotted at minimum 10 rabbits. At least 4 were in my yard, and 6 more on our walk. I suspect we will have a nest somewhere like we had last year. Help yourselves!
(6) Have somebody give you a rabbit.

(6a) Have somebody give you a live rabbit. (Problem: how do you kill it? Gotta kill it before you cook it--unless you cook it live--but that could be an ethical problem...) just kidding

(6b) Have somebody give you a freshly killed rabbit. So, DL... How are you at killing the critters?

(6c) Best solution of all: Everybody gets invited to DL's house where she will serve us all a nice rabbit dinner! Yay!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks

(6) Have somebody give you a rabbit.

(6a) Have somebody give you a live rabbit. (Problem: how do you kill it? Gotta kill it before you cook it--unless you cook it live--but that could be an ethical problem...) just kidding

(6b) Have somebody give you a freshly killed rabbit. So, DL... How are you at killing the critters?

(6c) Best solution of all: Everybody gets invited to DL's house where she will serve us all a nice rabbit dinner! Yay!!!
Sure. BYOSG! (Bring your own shotgun....)
Old 06-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #39
Executive Chef

I'm not a hunter but I presume you'd want to use a small rifle to kill rabbits. (.22 ? I've heard that rabbits sometimes "disappear" upon encountering a shotgun blast.) Anyway there's still the health of the rabbits to care about. (Their health before being killed, not after. I presume their health after being killed is not good!)

I think I'll stick with supermarket rabbit.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We used to snare snowshoe hare.

Tags
other, rabbit