"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 02-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #21
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to darlenemt08
I haven't eaten squirrel in a very, long time. I grew up to where my dad hunted squirrels, rabbits, raccoon, pheasant, quail, & deer. My dad would skin the animals and sometimes clean them out or, my mom would clean them out.

My mom soaked the meat in I think salt water for awhile. Then she browned the meat with bones in a little oil. Then she'd put it into a pan and pour cream of mushroom soup over it for a gravy. She then added potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, & sometimes cabbage. Seasoned it with salt & pepper. Squirrel does taste good, when cooked right. As long as I don't have to kill it and clean it, I'm fine with eating it. LOL

My dad now feeds squirrels in their yard along with the tame birds. Cats are the enemies and he shoots those with his bb gun along with any dogs who catches & kills his 'pets'. My sister's & my 3 small dogs & their Dachshund are the only exception to dogs in their yard.

Darlene

Old 02-17-2008, 03:19 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Squirrel hunting was my favorite hunting season. I don't remember the recipe I used, but it was a stroganoff type stew and very tasty.
All these recipes I'm reading is making me hungry to go squirrel hunting again.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #23
Master Chef

The L.L. Bean Game and Fish Cookbook has a LOT of recipes for squirrel (& virtually any other living creature you might come across & shoot in North America). Husband bought me a copy, & although neither one of us hunts, it's still interesting reading, & many of the recipes adapt well to domestic products.

If you do a search on the book title, you might find some of their squirrel recipes online.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #24
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I use to squirrel hunt with my Dad, Mom would chicken fry it - yum, just have to watch out for any buckshot -

Flashback - One time we went out and we were about ten feet apart, sitting under trees and he motioned there was one, - I aimed - then it ran away- Dad asked what I didn't shoot - .................... Told him because the squirrel was lookin' at me !!!!! He was too !
Old 02-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #25
Executive Chef

The gray squirrel is a pretty muscular critter. I like it prepared in a Brunswick stew. LL Bean cookbook has a good recipe.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L. View Post
I use to squirrel hunt with my Dad, Mom would chicken fry it - yum, just have to watch out for any buckshot -

Flashback - One time we went out and we were about ten feet apart, sitting under trees and he motioned there was one, - I aimed - then it ran away- Dad asked what I didn't shoot - .................... Told him because the squirrel was lookin' at me !!!!! He was too !
OH - that reminds me of the first time I cooked soft-shell crab - it opened it's eyes just at the wrong moment!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #27
Master Chef

Not to continue to add to moving the thread away from squirrels, but...

You should have seen the look on DWs face when, while watching Iron Chef American, they took out a live lobster and took its tail off right then and there. While they prepped the tail, the rest was slowly trying to crawl away.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
squirrel

Besides all of the above great recipes, Brunswick stew is not authentic unless it has several squirrel in there along with the other meats. There are many Brunswick stew recipes you could find on line .
Old 02-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #29
Master Chef

My grandmother did it very simple ... she dredged it in seasoned (S&P) flour and browned it in bacon grease ... added a little water (1/2 cup maybe), covered and braised it over low heat for about an hour. She would then remove the lid - cranked the heat up a little to evaporate the water, then added some flour to make a roux, added milk to make a gravy. In another cast iron skillet she would make some cottage fries (of course she used bacon grease) and scrambled eggs.

This was a Sunday morning breakfast dish for grandpa and me - we would go hunting on Staurday and Nanny would cook it for us on Sunday morning ... homemade buttermilk biscuits, fried squirrel, fried taters, scrambled eggs, and gravy.

Oh - someone was concerned about the diet of squirrels ... it's mainly seeds and nuts.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

For barb , yeah buckshot is a pain ( more so for squirrel) For maverick 2272 EWWWWW live lobster part mutilated!!!!
For everyone who has sent me recipes I am very grateful , I love to try new things , To everyone who has been disguisted with me , next week I will be trying Panda stuffed with Golden eagle sauteed in kitten blood.ONLY KIDDING its not panda season . Carmel x

Tags
None