"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 02-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
My grandmother did it very simple ... she dredged it in seasoned (S&P) flour and browned it in bacon grease ... added a little water (1/2 cup maybe), covered and braised it over low heat for about an hour. She would then remove the lid - cranked the heat up a little to evaporate the water, then added some flour to make a roux, added milk to make a gravy. In another cast iron skillet she would make some cottage fries (of course she used bacon grease) and scrambled eggs.

This was a Sunday morning breakfast dish for grandpa and me - we would go hunting on Staurday and Nanny would cook it for us on Sunday morning ... homemade buttermilk biscuits, fried squirrel, fried taters, scrambled eggs, and gravy.

Oh - someone was concerned about the diet of squirrels ... it's mainly seeds and nuts.
That's how my grandma fixed it too, except she made mashed potatoes instead of fried ones.

Our squirrels also like stale bread, cereal, pizza crusts and cornbread...especially corn bread!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

You guys with crunchy squirrel must have been using too heavy a load or shot size. I don't ever remember having to watch for shot in the meat. It all disappeared when you skinned the squirrel.
Although, I suppose someone else could have gotten that piece

Hey, this is under the Wild Game topic/forum. Why all the naysayers?
Did the topic name lead you to believe we had a game of Twister going on over here

Old 02-17-2008, 11:04 PM   #33
Head Chef

My white lab/retriever thinks I should go get a 22 rifle posthaste.
She would be quite happy to help.
Heck, she says forget the rifle and just let her and my black lab
off the leash next walk, LOLOL!!

Seriously, I wouldn't have a problem eating squirrel, as long as I could
kill them with one shot. I'm a weenie when it comes to squealing injured
animals.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Got plenty of squirrels around here that is for sure, but I don't think they will appreciate me using my .22 in the back yard, LOL.
Who needs a .22?

A slingshot, a bag of marbles, and a jar of peanut butter are all you need. Just smear the peanut butter on the toe of your shoe, and when the furry little tree rat starts nibbling at the stuff, pop it on the head with the slingshot. Steel-toed boots are recommended.

Personally, I've never had squirrel, but that's only because the opportunity hasn't presented itself.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Who needs a .22?

A slingshot, a bag of marbles, and a jar of peanut butter are all you need. Just smear the peanut butter on the toe of your shoe, and when the furry little tree rat starts nibbling at the stuff, pop it on the head with the slingshot. Steel-toed boots are recommended.

Personally, I've never had squirrel, but that's only because the opportunity hasn't presented itself.

The way I am with a slingshot, I think I would just use a crowbar if it got that close.

I remember having to pick buckshot out of pheasant and rabbit when I was growing up, but it always seemed to be the ones my brother killed....
Old 02-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Ugh, I think I'm gonna hurl.
It's just a tree rabbit.. Tasty!!

Rotisserie Squirrel..

Rub with butter, seasoned salt, pepper stick on a spit, fire up the grill get it cooking. Roast until tender... yummy...
Old 02-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
OH - that reminds me of the first time I cooked soft-shell crab - it opened it's eyes just at the wrong moment!
That reminds me of when we had a crab boil at the coast a couple of years ago. Fisher was about 3 and he was fascinated with the huge cooler full of live crabs we dragged in the kitchen. But when my neighbor started putting live crabs in the big pot of boiling water, it was another story. He's still a little suspicious of her even now!

My dad used to hunt squirrel when I was a kid. I'm thinking I wouldn't eat it because I have absolutely no memory of how my mom cooked it or anything.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
... Hey, this is under the Wild Game topic/forum. Why all the naysayers? ...
This thread was started in another forum - and I moved it over here where it would be more appropriate. Can't really compare a squirrel with a 150-lb feral hog - but it's more at home in here than the general cooking questions forum.

Never had a problem with buckshot ... Grandpa and I always hunted with a .22 cal rifle.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
This thread was started in another forum - and I moved it over here where it would be more appropriate. Can't really compare a squirrel with a 150-lb feral hog - but it's more at home in here than the general cooking questions forum.

Never had a problem with buckshot ... Grandpa and I always hunted with a .22 cal rifle.
That's good. Don't remember talking about hogs in this thread, I'll have to go back and look....
I just don't understand why all these peta wannabees are still clouding up the thread. If it was moved to the Wild Game topic, what did they think they were going to be reading about?
Maybe they would be more comfortable discussing ways to cook Mary's little lamb. Or even better.. veal
Old 02-26-2008, 12:38 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Those feral hogs can be a real problem. The farmers here hate 'em. Rooting around, tearing up crops, etc. One of the guys I work with told me he was hunting feral hogs about 5 miles from where I now live, and for a good ways, tracked a cougar. The big kitties are eating all the feral hogs. Great. Another thing to be on the lookout for.

Tags
None