ISO ways to cook squirrel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silvercarmel

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone ,
Hubby has managed to get some squirrels, we have made stew ( tastes like duck) Has anyone got any recipes? Thanks in advance Carmel x:chef:

Brown them really well in a little oil...Make a brown or tomato/onion gravy. Add onion, celelry, bell pepper garlic, bay leaf, salt, and pepperm etc. Place the pieces in the gravy, cover and simmer until tender. In crock pot....brown first. Cover with water/stock...maybe some wine. Lots of seasonings..salt, pepper,bay leaf, garlic, etc. Add 1 package of Lipton Onion Soup mix. Cook on low until tender. Mashed potatoes and biscuits go well with these.

Enjoy!

My son always saves up the old squirrels, and when he has 4 or 5, we make squirrel pot pie.

Cook the squirrels in broth until they are tender, pull the meat from the bones, make a gravy from the cooking liquid, and put it in a good pie shell. Make some biscuits, too.

This is so good you will want to slap your grandma.

Season with S&P. Shake in bag of seasoned flour and brown in skillet in part oil, part bacon grease. Remove meat from skillet and drain off most of the grease, leaving the crispy bits and enough grease to cover bottom of skillet. Lower heat and stir in seasoned flour a little at a time until you have a paste. Stir in half water, half milk until smooth. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, until thickened. Return meat to pan and let simmer while you mash the potatoes and bake the biscuits.
If you want onions in the gravy (and they are good), saute them until soft in the skillet after you've poured most of the grease off, then add flour and proceed as above.

I would think a coq au vin, of course substititing the squirrel for the coq, would work.

To keep it kosher, OK French, would probably call it ecureuil au vin. Think ecureuil is the French word for the long tailed rats. And there is an acute accent over the initial 'e' but I have no idea how to put one in.

And to be truly kosher, squirrel is not.

Classic Brunswick stew: corn limas tomatoes broth onion garlic thyme and your meat what ever it be chix rabbit or squirrel . as squirel is nearly fat free some fat back or back bacon will be good too as a starter for the veg cooking. little white wine too if you like.

dang good stuffs

squirrel

Thank you for the recipes, and for the guys who are gonna hurl , just think if you eat chicken, cows ,pigs :pig: etc why not squirrel ( and its free )

Carmel x

My son always saves up the old squirrels, and when he has 4 or 5, we make squirrel pot pie.

Cook the squirrels in broth until they are tender, pull the meat from the bones, make a gravy from the cooking liquid, and put it in a good pie shell. Make some biscuits, too.

This is so good you will want to slap your grandma.

Get out of here!!!! Squirrel pot pie???? Ok, I have heard it all!

Thank you for the recipes, and for the guys who are gonna hurl , just think if you eat chicken, cows ,pigs :pig: etc why not squirrel ( and its free )

Carmel x

There is a reason why it's free!!! JK!!! I can't say that I have ever had squirrel so I can't knock it till I have tried it. But it does sound odd... poor little furry squirrels!!! :LOL:

I have only had it a couple of times, but my experience was you had to be very careful or it would turn out dry. If I remember right, bacon was used in the dishes I had.
Squirrel pot pie, gotta try that sometime LOL. Got plenty of squirrels around here that is for sure, but I don't think they will appreciate me using my .22 in the back yard, LOL.

Carmel x

LOL. Crickets are free, too. But you won't see me throwing a handfull into my cookie dough mix.

Apparently its popular in asian food, also are insects. Dont think I will try bugs and stuff like that,,,,,,,,,,,, but you never know.lol

OK - this is not a new thing. People have been eating squirrel for um...let's just say a few years. It's not uncommon at all. It may not be your cup of tea. If it's not so be it - no need to muck up the thread.

:sick::sick: no way jose. I watch those critters outside and cannot fathom eating them. Who knows what they eat? I know they raid my bird feeders but what else they eat, I have no idea.

Acorns, nuts, berries, hedge balls, etc...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom