"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 02-17-2008, 05:51 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO ways to cook squirrel

Hello everyone ,
Hubby has managed to get some squirrels, we have made stew ( tastes like duck) Has anyone got any recipes? Thanks in advance Carmel x

Old 02-17-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Brown them really well in a little oil...Make a brown or tomato/onion gravy. Add onion, celelry, bell pepper garlic, bay leaf, salt, and pepperm etc. Place the pieces in the gravy, cover and simmer until tender. In crock pot....brown first. Cover with water/stock...maybe some wine. Lots of seasonings..salt, pepper,bay leaf, garlic, etc. Add 1 package of Lipton Onion Soup mix. Cook on low until tender. Mashed potatoes and biscuits go well with these.

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
Head Chef

My son always saves up the old squirrels, and when he has 4 or 5, we make squirrel pot pie.

Cook the squirrels in broth until they are tender, pull the meat from the bones, make a gravy from the cooking liquid, and put it in a good pie shell. Make some biscuits, too.

This is so good you will want to slap your grandma.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Core blimey; I couldn't take the flesh off a rotisserie chicken... You guys are hardcore...
Old 02-17-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
Master Chef

Season with S&P. Shake in bag of seasoned flour and brown in skillet in part oil, part bacon grease. Remove meat from skillet and drain off most of the grease, leaving the crispy bits and enough grease to cover bottom of skillet. Lower heat and stir in seasoned flour a little at a time until you have a paste. Stir in half water, half milk until smooth. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, until thickened. Return meat to pan and let simmer while you mash the potatoes and bake the biscuits.
If you want onions in the gravy (and they are good), saute them until soft in the skillet after you've poured most of the grease off, then add flour and proceed as above.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Ugh, I think I'm gonna hurl.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Head Chef

I would think a coq au vin, of course substititing the squirrel for the coq, would work.

To keep it kosher, OK French, would probably call it ecureuil au vin. Think ecureuil is the French word for the long tailed rats. And there is an acute accent over the initial 'e' but I have no idea how to put one in.

And to be truly kosher, squirrel is not.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Classic Brunswick stew: corn limas tomatoes broth onion garlic thyme and your meat what ever it be chix rabbit or squirrel . as squirel is nearly fat free some fat back or back bacon will be good too as a starter for the veg cooking. little white wine too if you like.

dang good stuffs
Old 02-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

squirrel

Thank you for the recipes, and for the guys who are gonna hurl , just think if you eat chicken, cows ,pigs etc why not squirrel ( and its free )

Carmel x
Old 02-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
My son always saves up the old squirrels, and when he has 4 or 5, we make squirrel pot pie.

Cook the squirrels in broth until they are tender, pull the meat from the bones, make a gravy from the cooking liquid, and put it in a good pie shell. Make some biscuits, too.

This is so good you will want to slap your grandma.
Get out of here!!!! Squirrel pot pie???? Ok, I have heard it all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercarmel View Post
Thank you for the recipes, and for the guys who are gonna hurl , just think if you eat chicken, cows ,pigs etc why not squirrel ( and its free )

Carmel x
There is a reason why it's free!!! JK!!! I can't say that I have ever had squirrel so I can't knock it till I have tried it. But it does sound odd... poor little furry squirrels!!!

Tags
None