Kangaroo Rendang Curry
This is my 1st post o the forum, I have made a dish using Kangaroo and I won a work food Competition , which was cool.
It is Kangaroo Rendang - Kangaroo can be a tough meat, so this stewing process allows it to get real tender and it was tasty.
1kg of Kangaroo rump steak – (Southern Game meat) or 1.5kg Potato [Veg] - 500g diced Potato
Rendang paste (Prima taste – Ready-to-cook sauce kit) 1 can Coconut cream – water.
2 Cloves of Garlic - 50g of Galangal - 2-4 red chillis - 2 Sticks of lemongrass - 4 Tbsp Coconut Sambol (Leela)
40ml of Oil - Curry leaves – Bay leaves - (Vinegar for boiling meat)
Prepare – cut Kangaroo steaks into fillets and boil with a little vinegar for 15min. Then cut into cubes. Finely chop all other ingredients.
1. Heat pot till hot. Add Rendang Paste, Garlic, Galangal, Chilli, Red & White Onion and stir-fry for 6-10 mins on high heat.
2. Add and stir-fry for 10 minutes.
3. Pour in coconut milk and lemongrass and just enough water to submerge the meat. Bring to boil on high heat. Stir occasionally and boil on medium heat for 1 .5 hrs. Stir occasionally while simmering.
5. Add water intermittently into pot (volume of water just enough to cover above the meat, about 200 ml each time). Stir occasionally each time after water is added. (Water can be added till beef is close to tenderness, gravy suits taste and is slightly thick before proceeding to the next step.)
6. Add Coconut Sambal or toasted coconut into pot and mix well. Continue to simmer for another 20 mins until gravy thickens and is slightly glossy.
7. Serve with warm rice or bread.