Layos Me Saltsa Karithia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bolas De Fraile

Executive Chef
Hare or Rabbit in a Walnut sauce.
I got a good wild rabbit on tuesday.
Chop the rabbit into serving portions then put it in a basin with a handful of chopped celery, some lemon slices and some greek basil. Cover with 50/50 water and vinegar then leave in the fridge for a few days. I use cider vinegar.
Wipe the pieces of meat and fry in butter and evoo till brown, add the juice of 1/2 a lemon and a good glug of cheap brandy, cook slowly till the liquids have gone.
Add some good chicken stock, a few bit of cinnamon bark, salt and pepper. Cook till tender, thicken a bit with a flour slurry then add loads of crushed walnuts.
I serve it with roast pots. The Greeks have some very good comfort food for the winter:)

Hare or Rabbit in a Walnut sauce.
I got a good wild rabbit on tuesday.
Chop the rabbit into serving portions then put it in a basin with a handful of chopped celery, some lemon slices and some greek basil. Cover with 50/50 water and vinegar then leave in the fridge for a few days. I use cider vinegar.
Wipe the pieces of meat and fry in butter and evoo till brown, add the juice of 1/2 a lemon and a good glug of cheap brandy, cook slowly till the liquids have gone.
Add some good chicken stock, a few bit of cinnamon bark, salt and pepper. Cook till tender, thicken a bit with a flour slurry then add loads of crushed walnuts.
I serve it with roast pots. The Greeks have some very good comfort food for the winter:)

This looks goood! But I don't think I'll be able to leave it in the fridge for a few days...
I'll try it with some sweet-and-sour baby onions :pig:

Luca mate we are having my wifes fav pasta dish tonight, cubes of beef cooked with red peppers and sour cream.
I like to fry pine nut in butter(lots of butter) then eat with conchiglie and grated pecorino :)

Luca mate we are having my wifes fav pasta dish tonight, cubes of beef cooked with red peppers and sour cream.
I like to fry pine nut in butter(lots of butter) then eat with conchiglie and grated pecorino :)

:cool: I loooooooove pinoli, but only in the castagnaccio pie. And now I'll go to the fridge to devoure the last slice of it. :)

brother bolas, i'd enjoy rabbit like this much more often if i were more swift of foot. :)

copied and pasted, now under my sub-category bolas' recipes.

danke, mein herr.

Thank you both,my knowledge of Greek cooking was started when I lived with two Greek sister:)
My best mate was a Greek Cruise ship Master and the food in the officers mess was produced by a couple over very talented chefs from Kalamata, because the officers came from various locations we would have a regional dish every night.
The Layos dish was cooked for us in Funchal harbour by Capt Nikko when the port agent gave us a load of game he shot.
Mad Nikko is also a great Greek food historian, he would quote Samuel Pepys when we we making Fish Roe Salad (Botargo)=Avgotaraho:Taramosalata made the classic greek way from grey mullet roe that is pickled (tarihkion) then matured by coating in wax, the classic prep is to pound in a mortar and pestle.
The quote from 1661 is from memory, "we drank lots of claret whilst eating Botargo with bread"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom