Making venison sausage question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callmaker60

Senior Cook
I am considering making venison sausage this year, providing of course I harvest a deer. Just wondering if anyone makes it, should i make it loose or with the casing? Pro's and Con's of each way.

I used to make sausage with our goat meat; 5 pound batches at a time. I would package them bulk in one pound packages and use them for patties for breakfasts or use the one pound bulk in recipes for dinner.

If you have not made venison sausage in the past I would go slow and experiment this year. Have the venison ground and frozen in family sized packages then do a little experimenting through the winter to see which recipes you and your family prefer.

Good luck!

Back years ago when I was married to a hunter we used to make summer sausage with venison. :yum: I just tried to find my old recipe and couldn't find it. I remember we mixed about a pound of gr. beef per 5 lbs. of ground venison with a couple of tablespoons (?) of Morton Tender Quick curing salt, and spices. I'm pretty sure it was garlic salt, mustard seed, and lots of fresh cracked black pepper, maybe some Worsestershire....? We refrigerated the mixture for 3 or 4 days so the curing salt could do it's thing, and mixed it up again at least once a day.

I remember forming it into logs, wrapping in foil, and cooked at around 200F for about 6 hours. Don't take my word exactly for all this, there's lots of recipes out there for venison summer sausage - but I do have fond memories of how good it was thinly sliced with cheese and crackers. We'd make meals of it, and it froze well. :yum:

I hope you get your buck this year, callmaker!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom