"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 06-02-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Need ideas for leg of venison.

My dad just gave me a whole leg of venison. I certainly don't want to waste it, but I have no idea what to do with it. It's pretty large, completely guessing, but probably about 12 pounds. He suggested thawing it out, then cutting off meat to cook, but I think since I've got no butchering experience, that I may be better off roasting or grilling it, then cutting off all that I can. And I haven't even unwrapped it, so I'm not even sure if it's front or hind leg, but it's pretty round at the widest part, so I'll assume hind section. Any suggestions?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by derailedbus View Post
My dad just gave me a whole leg of venison. I certainly don't want to waste it, but I have no idea what to do with it. It's pretty large, completely guessing, but probably about 12 pounds. He suggested thawing it out, then cutting off meat to cook, but I think since I've got no butchering experience, that I may be better off roasting or grilling it, then cutting off all that I can. And I haven't even unwrapped it, so I'm not even sure if it's front or hind leg, but it's pretty round at the widest part, so I'll assume hind section. Any suggestions?
I would definitely defrost and portion it. You don't have to be an accomplished butcher to do it. It may not be pretty but you'll be better off.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #3
Executive Chef

One of the best flavors I've ever experienced was at a family reunion about 20 years ago. The star of the show was "Venison Chili!!!" About 15 gallons of it.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
Master Chef

Depending on where the deer was harvested, and how much fat is marbled into, or surounding the meat, venison can be very gamey. Me, I don't mind the flavor, in fact, I prefer a little gaminess in the venison. The leg portion will be rich in flavor as it is a well exercised muscle, but will be tougher as well. To butcher the leg, simply thaw it, divide the muscles into usable groups to make a roast-sized chunk of meat, and cut the tendons that hold the muscles at the attachment points on the bone. Then cut the muscles into usable portions.

The leg will benefit from slow, moist cooking methods, such as cooking with veggies in a foil pouch, with root veggies and butter. Salt, and especially pepper work well with venison's natural flavor. Another great way to use your meat is to grind it with some beef fat. The fat from the deer will melt, and when cooled turn into wax. That just doesn't work for me. I'm not fond of chewing on wax.

The meat can be slow roasted over a fire, but has to be mopped frequently with a good mop, such as you would use on a slab of pork ribs. Venison is great in stews, soups, boiled dinner, shredded for tacos, burritos and such, ground, and made into jerky. I wouldn't use leg muscle to cook as a steak. It would be tough and dry. If smoked over low heat, and then braised, it would taste great. You could substitute the meat and bone for oxtail and make something like Osso Bucco.

I hope this helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I would definitely defrost and portion it. You don't have to be an accomplished butcher to do it. It may not be pretty but you'll be better off.

That's what I would do. Any small bits can be put aside for grinding.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:43 PM   #6
Master Chef

I agree with portioning it into smaller packages that will work for your family.

I would use it for stew or Swiss steak and maybe grind some for burgers, chili or meatloaf.

This is a simple stew recipe that I have used with good results.

Chuck roast, looking for different ways

Good luck!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:14 AM   #7
Master Chef

I love game meat. Is it a front or rear leg? There is difference in meat and cooking technique. If it is rear leg and it is small enough to fit into a pan of a sort and go into oven, I'd cook just like a leg of lamb. Roast the whole thing. Since it is, like you mention about 12 pounds, I'd wait for some party. It will benefit from garlic and rosemary, to tone down the game taste. It is not the best way to do it, but it can be cut in the half while frozen with the reciprocating saw. And washed throaty when defrosted. Then you can cook two halves. Though if it is front leg meat will be much tougher.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 06-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #8
Head Chef

If it a hind quarter you can section it and cut it into roasts & butterfly steaks, grind the smaller pieces into hamburger. If its a front shoulder it's much harder to cut into steaks so i just grind it and make stew meat out of it. In this pic the meat was sectioned and cleaned of all fat and silver skin. Although I have roasted whole hind quarters on the BBQ a small deer works best. Don't over cook venison it will become tough!

Old 06-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I bet THIS RECIPE would work just as well with venison.

Tags
venison