Need venison recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We use venison just like it were beef.

Pepper steak is good.

Fiery Barbecued Venison

4 venison steaks or medallions
; (about 4 oz. per per
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander; (cilantro)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon good curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
***CORIANDER AVOCADO CREAM***
1/2 avocado; (about 4 tablespoons
3 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh chopped coriander
1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
4 drops Tabasco sauce
salt
pepper
olive oil for basting

This Southwestern-style dish from the Cervena venison people packs an intense flavor punch. To make the avocado cream, place all ingredients in a processor or blender and blend until smooth. Combine all the meat spices in a large bowl. Place the venison in the bowl and mix to coat well. Brush off excess coating and let stand 1 hour. Heat the barbecue grill; oil the grill. Brown venison well over high heat, turning often and basting lightly with olive oil. When done to your taste, remove from grill, cover with foil and let stand about 5 minutes; serve with coriander cream. - -

Yield: 4 servings

Southern Dry Rub For Venison

none

1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup corn sugar (get at beer supply stor
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper; ground

Defrost the roast if frozen. Sprinkle on rub. Rewrap and put in refrigerator for several hours (preferably overnight). When ready to smoke, take out of refrigerator, sprinkle on more rub, and let it sit for an hour. Get smoker ready and up to 200F. Smoke (I use hickory or mesquite) for about 1 hour to 1.5 hours per pound. Take off, let rest for fifteen minutes, slice, and eat up.
Yield: 1 serving

Western Deer Stew

2 pounds deer meat; cut into cubes
1 cup grape juice
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove; minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
1 1/2 cups bouillon
1 celery stalk; diced
8 whole cloves
1 tablespoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
cornstarch

Place meat in deep bowl. Add grape juice, bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper. Place in refrigerator for several hours. Turn frequently. Drain the meat. Keep the grape juice mixture. Brown the meat thoroughly in bacon drippings. Simmer together for 10 minutes the grape juice mixture, the bouillon, and a cheesecloth bag tied in which you place celery, cloves, parsley, and thyme. Add meat, cover, and simmer till tender or about three hours. Add boiling water if necessary. If desired add vegetables and cook until they are tender. Discard cheesecloth herb bag. Remove meat. Thicken gravy with cornstarch. Use 1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch for every cup of broth. Add a little cold water to cornstarch and make into a smooth paste. Boil up broth and stir cornstarch mixture into broth. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Serve with meat.

Venison Chili

Ingredients
1 pound ground Venison
3 cans Pinto Beans, drained
3 small Chili Peppers (hot or mild)
½ to 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1 large Onion, chopped
4 Beef Boullion cubes
2 cloves Garlic, chopped fine
1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1 Tbsp. Oregano
1 Tbsp Cumin
4 Tbsp. Flour
1 Tbsp. Oil
1 quart Water
4 Tbsp. Water

Method

In a heavy bottom saucepan or pot, add the quart of water and boullion cubes. Heat until boullion is dissolved. Cover and reduce heat to simmer.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the venison. When browned, add the onion, peppers, garlic and seasonings and cook until vegetables just start to brown. Add 2 tablespoons of water and deglaze the pan. Dissolve the flour in the other 2 tablespoons of water, add to the venison and cook 1 minute or until thickened.

Add the beans and venison mixture to the water and simmer for one hour or until reduced and thickened.

Serve over a bed of rice or nacho chips. Top with cheddar cheese

Venison and wild rice

1 venison boneless loin (backstrap), about 3 pounds
1 handful of wild onions
½ handful of wild garlic 2 quarts water
1½ cups dried mushrooms
2 tsp. salt
1½ cups cleaned wild rice
Sear boneless loin, with fat trimmed, in just enough shortening to get the job done, allowing about ½ pound per person. If the loin is too long to place flat in roaster or Dutch oven, cut in two. (Sear all sides.)

Add ½ cup cleaned, peeled wild onions (bulb end only), and ¼ cup cleaned, peeled wild garlic. Sauté lightly. Add water, mushrooms, and salt. Simmer uncovered for three hours.

Add wild rice, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover and simmer for 20 minutes more or until rice is tender.

From what I understand, a "saddle" of venison is the back, as in where a saddle would be placed on a horse. I've never seen this cut in beef. You might have to special-order it from the meat-cutter when you get your deer processed.

If you were to imagine what this cut would look like in cross-section, it would have the spine (a.k.a. "chine" in butcher-speak), Porterhouse/T-bone from BOTH sides, as well as BOTH tenderloins.

I've got a cookbook that has a recipe for Saddleback of Venison with 40 Cloves of Garlic, that also has a picture of the finished product. I may take a pic of that and post it.

allan, 40 cloves of garlic :shock: yikes I know I wouldn't be kissing hubby that night

Venison steak should not be salted before cooking, makes it tough. We like venison steak best with just Melted butter and mushrooms. I do at times add a little steak sauce in the butter. Do not over cook venison. All the recipes here sound really good. :D

Speaking of Venison,

Anybody else see that Disney is releasing Bambi on DVD?? ;)

John

Its hard to beat some fried tenderloin or backstrap, with some mashed potatoes and gravy and corn.

Take your tenderloin and cut it crossways, so you have small round "steaks". The size depends, of course, on the thickness of the muscle. I cut mine 1/4 inch thick if the meat is pretty tender, 1/2 inch thick and pound it down to about 1/4 if not so tender. Take about two cups of buttermilk and one egg and mix well in large bowl and throw your rounds in there, coating them well. Next dredge in flour and pan fry in medium deep peanut oil. I like to add salt and pepper straight to my flour.

My favorite venison roast recipe, partly cause it SO darn easy, and partly because its SO darn good.

1 venison roast
1 can of coke or pepsi
1 pack of lipton onion soup mix
1 can cream of mushrrom soup (optional)
1 -2 onions quartered
potatoes
carrots
whole garlic
salt and pepper and any other seasonings that you want

Take your roast and place it in a ziploc bag, pour in your can of coke and remove all excess air. Marinate over night.

Remove roast from marinade and you can sear the outside in a pan or not, I prefer not with this method. Throw your roast in a crock pot with the soup mix and enough water to cover roast, you can add the COM soup if you want a creamier more stew like gravy, and turn on high. Cook 4 hours on high, then add your veggies and remain cooking on high until they are tender. once they are cooked, you will need tongs and a spoon to remove the roast because it will just fall apart on you.

grilled venison appetizers:
you can cube any meat that you have, backstrap, roast, or use stew meat if you have it cut. You want about 1 inch squares. There are a million ways to do this, your imagination is the limit, but I usually marinade the chunks in Dales and beer, then take some creole or brown mustard and smear on the cubes, place a jalepeno slice on top, wrap with half a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Grill until bacon is done......not until its crispy.

Also, cube the meat and use it in your favorite shish kabob recipe!

Here is a stuffed backstrap recipe that I'm very fond of!!!

Spicy Stuffed Venison Backstrap

Put backstrap in a glass or plastic marinating dish. Cut a slit lengthwise about 3/4 the length of backstrap being careful not to cut thru the ends or the bottom of the meat. (make a canoe) Mix buttermilk, seasoning, and garlic together in a small bowl. Pour evenly over venison, cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove and Discard marinade, leave remaining marinade on meat.

1 lb. favorite ground sausage
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 tbl chopped garlic
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tbl olive oil
salt and pepper

Brown sausage in a skillet, drain leaving a little oil and saute onions, bell pepper, celery in the meat. Salt and pepper to taste. Add garlic. Remove from heat and cool. In a bowl pour sausage mixture. Add the bread crumbs, mix thoroughly until moist stuffing is formed. If to dry, add a little red wine or chicken stock to moisten.

Take backstrap and reseason with your favorite seasoning. Fill the crevice you cut, with the sausage stuffing mixture, fill it full.

To cook on the grill: Make a hot fire on one side for indirect cooking. Cook of the heat, with the lid on, for about 10 minutes, depending on the size of the backstrap, this will be medium rare to medium. Do not overcook!

To cook in the oven: Preheat to 300 Degrees. Cook in a roasting pan about 25-28 minutes for medium rare to medium. At the end you can carefully broil to brown stuffing, if not brown enough for you. Do not overcook!

Venison Chili...........my recipe
1-2 – lbs ground venison
1-2 – lb of venison stew meat or roast cubed

1 lb ground sausage

1 – medium yellow onion, chopped or ½ chopped and ½ processed

1 – large onion, cut in half (remove outside layer)

1 – medium bell pepper, ½ chopped ½ processed

2 – large fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced. Doesn’t heat it much, don’t be scared

1 – can whole tomatoes, drained

1 – can rotel tomatoes with chili fixins, drained

1 – can red kidney beans (I prefer Trappey’s)

1 – can bush’s chili beans (hot or mild)

1 – bunch of mushrooms, chopped thick.

2 cans tomato sauce

1 – small can of tomato paste, just in case you need to thicken it up some

chili powder, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper to taste…..do not be scared of the cumin, use just a little more than you think you should.

1-2– teaspoons of sugar.

½ - 1 cans of beer

you can leave out the cayenne for a milder chili. The other ingredients do not make it too hot.

Brown your ground meat and chunked meat, drain. Add onions, bell pepper, whole tomatoes, rotel tomatoes and simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally…you may need to add a little beer now. You don’t want it to get too hot, but you really want to cook those tomatoes down. Add the beans (and their water), the mushrooms, ½ can of beer and start your seasoning. Also go ahead and add ¼ - ½ of the can of paste. Due to the beans and especially the tomatoes you probably won’t need to add any water to this recipe. Add beer as you think its needed and thicken with the paste as needed. Once everything is starting to blend together well, you are just getting started. Turn your fire down low, add the halved onion and slow cook it until you just have to dive right in and eat some!!!

Also, I will take a roast and slice it diagnal across the grain to make some make shift steaks and then grill them or broil them just like any other steak. If you overcook, your meat will be dry and TOUGH!!

Hey, cant. Thanks for the detailed instructions. I haven't had much venison (and didn't like what I've had very much, except for the chili).

What is backstrap? I assume it's a specific cut of the carcass.

mudbug said:
Hey, cant. Thanks for the detailed instructions. I haven't had much venison (and didn't like what I've had very much, except for the chili).

What is backstrap? I assume it's a specific cut of the carcass.

I don't know what the technical term would be, but basically its the long muscle that runs the length of the spine on top of the rib cage from the front shoulder to the hind quarter, and other than the tenderloin (which is actually inside the rib cage) is the best meat of the deer. Depending on how your process your deer, I do everything completely boneless, you usually just filet it out and have a big long hunk of meat.

Sounds like many posters come from the East Coast.. not sure what type of deer they hunt there,, but on the Oregon coast where I grew up, we hunted whitetail deer.. very tender and flavorful. You really don't want to use a ton of ingredients that overpower the natural flavor of the venison.

The best part is the backstrap IMHO.. and we sliced it thin, dusted it in seasoned flour, and fried it hot/fast in BACON GREASE.. that's the key.. the bacon grease...

Two things you MUST fry in bacon grease... venison and razor clams. Jude 2:5

One exception... we'd sometimes take a backstrap, cut it in 1/3rds, marinade it overnight in teriyaki sauce & Worcestershire sauce, some black and/or white pepper, and maybe a dash of cayenne... wrap each piece in slices of bacon (held with toothpicks) and cook on a HOT grill (gas/charcoal) until medium rare/medium.. no more than medium... of course wrapping in bacon accomplishes about the same thing I guess.. so it's perhaps not a true "exception"... oh well. :rolleyes:

Venison Swiss Steak

Season meat on both sides with S&P and place in sprayed baking dish. Cut russet potatoes in quarters lengthwise and lay alongside meat. Add thinly sliced onion rings and carrots, and salt and pepper vegies. Top all with one or two small cans of tomato sauce, cover, and bake in oven at 350 for one hour or until tender. Garlic and peppers are a nice addition as well.

Venison Pot Roast (crockpot)

Remove all silverskin from meat. Put in crockpot with a pkt of onion soup mix, a can of cream of mushroom soup and a hearty grind of black pepper. Cook on low till tender. Add a large can of drained, whole potatoes, a handfull of baby carrots, and a drained can of mushrooms if you like. Let cook till vegies are warmed through and carrots are tender.

Caution: don't add any salt, as the soups are quite salty. You can always add it at the table if you wish.

One of my friends used to soak her venison in milk then make stew out of it, she said it helped the gamey flavor. But I grew up in Oregon in the back woods, we just, salt, Pepper and dredge in flour then fry. We would have it like steak and eggs in the morning too.

Here is the simplest and most favorite way to cook it around here.
2 lbs Venison steak
2 cups cultured buttermilk
2 tablespoons evoo
1 yellow onion sliced thinly, lengthwise
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons thyme
2 tablespoons chiffonade of basil
1 teaspoon tarragon
1 pinch oregano
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon evoo
1 large can whole or chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon Thyme
1 teaspoon rosemary
S & P to taste
Soak the steak in the buttermilk for 2 or 3 days
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a heavy 4 qt pot or dutch oven
add onions and garlic and sauté for 1 or 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes and herbs and simmer while meat browns
Remove steak from buttermilk and blot dry
Lightly season steak with salt and pepper and brown in a hot cast iron skillet.
Add 2 tablespoons of evoo to hot skillet and brown meat
Remove and cut into cubes
Add cubes to tomatoes mixture and place in a 350*F oven for 2 hours
Remove and adjust flavor with S&P or herbs
Serve over pasta

Back
Top Bottom