Rabbit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paymaster

Sous Chef
I fried up some rabbitt tonite. Here is my plate right before it disappeared.:chef:

Rabbitt,Gravy and potatoes,corn and early peas with pearl onions.

Attachments

• Rabbitt 4.JPG
    Rabbitt 4.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 365
Now that looks good! I’m assuming that you photographed only one plate because that one is yours…..so scoot over since I’m ready to eat!

Nice job! Very nice looking plate!

Uncle Bob said:
So Paymaster, ya been head lighten again I see:LOL:

:rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:
Naw I am a law abid'n citizen. The wild rabbitt was given to me by a friend and I bought one pen/farm raised to go with it. I ate the wild one and my son in law ate the bought one. Sure was good.:)

I used to hunt them here. Now they are scarce. Too mnay fire ants, coyotes, etc. Also I used to raise the domestic ones but got tired of cleaning the darn things. Really good eating though!

I enjoy rabbit, but Buck can't stomach it. I made it for him one time when we were first dating. Didn't tell him what it was. He was enjoying it until he asked me what it was. I told him.

All he could say was, "Thumper!!!!!"

That was the last time we've had rabbit in this house. Although, I've been tempted to try again under a different disguise. The only problem is that it's difficult to get here. Go figure.

That plate sure looks good, Dad use to hunt rabbits and squirrels. Mom would fry em' up , nice memories. Thanks for sharing - yum !

Can you folks provide a recipe or two? That gravy looks real good. Cottontails around here are dark meat while the domestic seem to be white meat. Unfortunately we don't have any hare. Only hare I ever ate was one I shot with a hunting companion from Britanny while I was in Italy. He baked it and surprisingly it was darned good. I say surprisingly cause it took him a few hours to make it and he was drinking lots of champagne throughout the cooking process.

For the past few weeks the bunnies and deer around here have been enjoying a bumper crop of wild black cherries.

Fortunately they can't get to the one's in the trees so I've been able to get a few quarts of them that I've soaked in some 90 proof with a little sugar (pint of cherries to a pint of kirshwasser + 2 teaspoons of sugar)

Last edited:
Uncle Bob, rabbitts are not real scarce here but due to deer season being from September to January rabbitt hunters have a difficult time. Land is leased up by deer hunters. So finding a suitable rabbitt area is tough. I am not complaining because I prefer to hunt deer but I understand the plight of small game hunters in this area.

The recipe is easy and straight foward. Par boil the rabbitt and then dredge, batter and fry. Gravy is made by browning flour in the pan that you finish the rabbitt in and adding water to your satisfaction.You'll note all the clumps in the gravy. These are pieces of the batter that remained in the pan.Season to suit your taste. In my case salt and fresh ground black pepper.:chef:

The one I made was farm raised. The tenderloin/back piece was good, I just didn't really care for the taste of the rest. I was really happy with the breading... I was just wishing it was on chicken instead ;)

img_470805_0_8f43bfdd8d1ebc509d8f729b11908478.jpg

img_470805_1_2a2666db72046ad8c8cdc248bdfd75af.jpg

img_470805_2_265d21612b10f08e801eafe242fae815.jpg

That looks good. Did you ever try cooking the liver from domesticated rabbitt. Now that some good stuff. I don't nornally like liver, but fried rabbitt liver is awsome.

Check out tularemia (from
Key Facts about Tularemia - CDC Division of Vector-Borne Infectious Diseases (DVBID) )-

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is Tularemia?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tularemia is a potentially serious illness that occurs naturally in the United States. It is caused by the bacterium Francisella tularensis found in animals (especially rodents, rabbits, and hares).[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What are the Symptoms of Tularemia?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Symptoms of tularemia could include:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]sudden fever [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]chills [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]headaches [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]diarrhea [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]muscle aches [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]joint pain [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]dry cough [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]progressive weakness[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]People can also catch pneumonia and develop chest pain, bloody sputum and can have trouble breathing and even sometimes stop breathing.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Other symptoms of tularemia depend on how a person was exposed to the tularemia bacteria. These symptoms can include ulcers on the skin or mouth, swollen and painful lymph glands, swollen and painful eyes, and a sore throat.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How Does Tularemia Spread?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]People can get tularemia many different ways:[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]being bitten by an infected tick, deerfly or other insect [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]handling infected animal carcasses [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]eating or drinking contaminated food or water [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]breathing in the bacteria, F. tularensis [/FONT]

I do not like liver at all!!! Except as Paymaster says, domestic rabbit liver is awesome! It is so clean and pure! When I used to raise the critters nobody got the liver but me! It is delicious!!

That's why it's best to hunt rabbits in cold weather, and also why you wear rubber gloves to clean them. We have lots of wild rabbits around here, in spite of the cayotes, dogs and cats. I have a pair of red-tailed hawks here that are fond of them, too.
Uncle Bob's method of cooking rabbit is right on...just the way my grandma fixed it. If you don't braise it, it can be tough and dry.
Personally, I prefer the wild rabbit to the tame, but I haven't been able to get either for a long time.

I've never cooked rabbit myself, but have enjoyed it in restaurants. Husband would rather eat worms & die - lol!!!!

One of the very best rabbit dishes I ever had in a restaurant was a "Duck & Rabbit Stew", which consisted of a nice-size piece of rabbit & a duck leg/thigh piece in a brown wine gravy with mushrooms, tiny baby carrots, & tiny baby turnips served over a mound of cheese grits. The combo may sound strange, but boy was it plate-scraping good!!!

Back
Top Bottom