"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Old 01-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I just remembered. Using rabbit as a substitute for the chicken in chicken cacciatore works really well. I'm going to guess that the original recipe used rabbit, because "hunter's rabbit" makes better sense to me than "hunter's chicken".

Old 01-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #22
Sous Chef

I agree with Steve - rabbit tastes like Rabbit. Never had a farm raised one, only wild. I grew up on a farm and we used to catch them in traps to keep them out of the garden.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #23
Senior Cook

I've not had a lot of rabbit (not normally allowed because I have a pet one, but when my wife is out... :D), but my butcher shoots them sometimes. Definitely does not taste like chicken, but has a wonderfully, strong, meaty flavour to it. Very lean, too. Highly recommended.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Rabbit is popular here in Quebec, only I would hazard to say more so in the countryside where they would catch/shoot wild rabbits. Also they, like Jon, probably braise/stew them.

Domestic Rabbit at the grocers, goes for about $10.00 a pound. Which to my mind puts it in the same price range as duck. Their average weight is 3 lb which will feed 2 to 3 people.

Whole Chicken this week is $4.30 a lb. (average weight under 2 k)
Drumsticks - $4.20 a lb.
Thighs - $7.70 ...
Half Chicken - $2.50 ... on special this week! woo-hoo! saving $1.20
Cutlets (probably without the tenders) - $8.99 also on special from $10.20
Ground Chicken - $7.00

The above is this weeks pricing from one of our grocers web-sites.
Even the most expensive I can find is still much less then you are paying.
Free range, organic chicken does not even exceed $3 a pound. In most cases less than $2 a pound for organic. Free range just a bit more.
We buy the chicken that's on sale or I get two (2 pack) whole organic ones at Costco. I'm pretty sure they are less than $1.75 a pound and very good.
We are not chicken snobs, so if its on sale, its on the stove.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #25
Master Chef

There is a huge difference between domestic rabbit and wild hare. Though I have not had either one in some 20 years I used to be a big fan of both. Wild hare does well stewed in sour cream.
Domestic rabbit is good seasoned, dredged in some flour, fried on both sides for no more than couple of minutes and then stewed in red wine. Or even like a regular stew. Rear legs being the tastiest and the more tender part. Important thing is not to overcook, otherwise it is like white meat from chicken becomes very dry and very tough.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 PM   #26
Master Chef

I too have eaten my share of rabbit, both wild and tame. As noted by the others, it has no fat, and so has to be cooked with care. Farm raised rabbit is similar to chicken, but a bit different. It needs to be seasoned, and simmered with aromatics such as onion and celery. My Stepfather made the best rabbit ever. I've also cooked wild rabbit over an open campfire with just salt and pepper. It benefits from the smoke.

Cooked improperly, both wild and its tamer cousin can be rather chewy. And depending on what the wild rabbit has been eating, it can have a very mild flavor, or be very gamey.

Again, there is a reason that rabbit stew is so popular, it braises the rabbit and keeps it from becoming very dry and tough. And yes, as far as edible meat is concerned, it is considered a white meat, like turkey or chicken.

The same herbs that work with poultry, such as sage, thyme, rosemary, etc., work well with rabbit too.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:29 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Rabbit and hare might be considered white meat for cooking purposes, but they are mammals, so they are red meat. I believe they are red meat for health considerations.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Rabbit is very common in the Mediterranean and especially in Malta, where it is called Fenek.

It is frequently served with Dry Red Wine, Veal or Turkey or Chicken stock, onion, garlic, bay leaves, Evoo and it is braised ..

Wild rabbit ( not Hare ) has very White meat and is very tender when cooked properly and is much lighter tasting than chicken .. Distinct from poultry.

It is a Traditional Maltese Specialty ..

Good luck .. The Price in Barcelona for 1 kilo: 6 Euros a Kilo for farm raised and 10 Euros a kilo for wild, cleaned and beheaded ..
Old 06-20-2017, 12:45 AM   #29
Cook

wine, mushrooms, and shallots go great with rabbit.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
It tastes just like chicken.
No, it tastes more like cat!

Tags
None