Rabbit in Mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Rabbit in Mushrooms

2 rabbits, about 3 pounds each, skinned and cut up
4 egg yolks, beaten
2 cups bread crumbs
1/8 tsp. mace
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 cup butter or oil for frying or a combination of both
2 cups brown gravy
1 cup dry red wine
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp. each of butter and flour, cooked together to form a roux

Rub the rabbit pieces with egg yolks and roll in bread crumbs to
which you have added the mace and nutmeg. Fry in the butter or oil
in a black frying pan or Dutch oven until well browned. Add the
remaining ingredients and stir until thick. Cover and simmer until
tender.

Lucky, do you see any reason why someone couldn't try this with an equal amount of chicken pieces? (Sounds good as is, don't get me wrong :))

I'd have to try it with chicken too Jessica. I like rabbit but... Safeway doesn't carry a huge collection of it.

i see no reason at all why it wouldn't work..........:chef:

but you might also want to check your area for a specialty meats broker.
they raise rabbits just like any other hard-to-hunt game.

my son, daughter in law and wife had a dinner a few weeks ago worth mentioning...........DIL had alligator, son had a buffalo steak, i had ostrich and wife had kangaroo; we were in joisey at the time:rolleyes:
.only bad review was the ostrich.

I'd love to try all of those Lucky. There is a shop like that about an hour from here. Someday, I'll go.

We talk about it all the time... but we just haven't done it yet. We will!!!

luckytrim said:
i see no reason at all why it wouldn't work..........:chef:

but you might also want to check your area for a specialty meats broker.
they raise rabbits just like any other hard-to-hunt game.

my son, daughter in law and wife had a dinner a few weeks ago worth mentioning...........DIL had alligator, son had a buffalo steak, i had ostrich and wife had kangaroo; we were in joisey at the time:rolleyes:
.only bad review was the ostrich.
Thanks Lucky and Pdswife...I was thinking this recipe (with either meat) would be right up DH's alley, though much to his dismay rabbit isn't too common in Ireland, so chicken it may be.

I love buffalo, but kangaroo would be a new one, what did your wife think of it Lucky?

needless to say, we couldn't stay off each others' plate!!

concensus was that the kangaroo filets were the best of the lot;
buffalo was pretty much a beef- type cut, perhaps more dry (lean) but not unpleasant.
'gator was my pick of the day, except there wasn't a peice really big enough (breaded, ******!) to get a real "flavor".
nobody liked the ostrich- probably the closest thing to a beef/chicken tug-o-war that i've experienced.

EVERYBODY liked the kangaroo--- a flavor and consistancy unlike anything i've chewed and swallowed.

I've had jerky made from Kanga and really liked it. Buffalo is one of my favorites. I've had sample bites of ostrich and always thought it was good. Gator is on my list to try.

Kangaroo is a very nice meat, it has a flavour that is deliciously different.

Emu is also good as well.

And Koala, the taste and texture is indescribeable :P.

grilled rabbit?

Lucky, your recipe does sound delicious!

I'm looking for interesting things to do with rabbit on the grill. My local Wegman's has just begun carrying whole (dressed) rabbit, and they weigh in at about 2.5-4 pounds each (they're also $7.50 per pound, so they're not exactly giving them away).

Should I brine/marinate the cut-up rabbit, and just grill it as I would chicken? How about using a rub? And down the line (when the weather gets a bit warmer), I'd like to throw a rabbit or two into the smoker. Has anyone here ever smoked rabbit??

you know me...I'll grill anything!

--J

treat it just as you would chicken, and you can't go wrong.........

my experience is that farm-raised rabbit meat is sweeter and less stringy than the critters we used to go after down in the meadow, and you are gonna love it!!

when i get a little time, i'll post a few rabbit recipes for the summer coals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom