"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 10-18-2005, 10:23 AM   #11
Master Chef

I've been craving some good braised rabbit, but can't find anyone who raises them any more, and none of the grocery stores around here have rabbit.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I've been craving some good braised rabbit, but can't find anyone who raises them any more, and none of the grocery stores around here have rabbit.
Just a shot in the dark thought but perhaps if you called your local park (forest)/wildlife service they might know who is the area stocks fresh game. I only say this because your post reminded me of a supper that my step dad once went to where the local fish and game board laid out a smorg of animals that had meet their maker (so to speak) but who were safe to eat. The thought seems a tad grusome to me, but supposedly he said it was good eating (he said they even had cougar meat there, could you imagine!)

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:55 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Most Italian supermarkets carry rabbit.You can also ask your butcher where you buy your meat,they would be more than happy to bring it in for you,I'm sure.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:55 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
All help is very much appreciated. Let's stay on topic and leave out the personal comments please. They don't add anything to helping the person find what they are looking for. People eat different things and rabbit is no different than any other animal. If a comment cannot be made to help COOKINGONGAS it probably doesn't needs to be left unsaid.

Please, when posting to threads, leave out personal comments.

I will be removing all posts not related to helping COOKINGONGAS find a recipe.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:55 AM   #15
Master Chef

My favorite recipe is from Jane Butel's "HOtter than ****" cookbook (and, in fact, it isn't all that hot, just has a lot of different kinds of peppercorns in it). It is a recipe for Hasenpfeffer that I've found similar recipes for in many cookbooks. If you want the actual recipe, just let me know. It's basically a recipe for braising. I've never, ever had someone turn their nose up at it.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:43 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Rabbit Grand Mere Stucki with Mustard Sauce

Ingredients

1 rabbit, cut into pieces (if not available, you can use chicken)
1 tsp salt
1 dash white pepper, ground
3 Tsp oil
2 large onions, cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic
1 cup stock
1/2 cup white wine, dry
herbs to taste

sauce
2 Tsp butter
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tsp flour
2 Tsp mustard, Dijon
1/2 cup parsley, chopped fine, loosely packed in cup
2 Tsp white wine, dry
1/2 cup cream

Method

Salt and pepper rabbit pieces. Sauté rabbit light brown in oil, Remove rabbit, fry garlic and onions until turning translucent. Add stock, wine and herbs. Return rabbit to pot. Simmer covered for 1 hour. Remove rabbit pieces and keep them warm, filter cooking liquid for sauce.

Melt butter in saucepan. Add garlic and shortly fry until fragrant. Add flour, stirring and fry for about 2 minutes on low fire - do not brown flour. Let it (roux) cool down, add filtered cooking liquid, stir or whisk to dissolve flour/butter mix, bring to boil, stirring. Sauce should have a creamy consistency. You may have to add water if too much liquid evaporated during cooking. Add mustard, parsley and white wine.

It is impossible to quantify the correct quantity of mustard and white wine, as every brand of mustard is tasting differently and so are wines. You have to season this sauce, that is you add the mustard, then you taste and maybe add more mustard until you like the taste of your sauce (you want to taste the mustard), then you do the same with regard to the wine (not for the sauce to taste like wine, but use the wine to bring out flavour). When you are satisfied you add the cream and heat through, season. Serve rabbit and sauce separately, or return rabbit pieces back to sauce. Eat with Fettucine.

Tags
None