Rabbit recipes ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RABBIT

i would like to make one if anyone can talk me through it..and give me some tips..

Humm ... clutching at straws ....

Assiette in French has a couple of meanings. One meaning is "plate", another in the art world means "Found Art" - and object of art made from found objects. Assiette can be a dish made of shellfish or a mixture of shellfish and fish (similar to a stew but not really a bouillabaisse). It can also be a pâté (assiette charcuterie), cuts of cold meat (assiette anglaise), a smoked fish platter (L’assiette Nordique) - or, are you looking for the "Easter Rabbit" recipe.

I'll have to scrounge a bit to see if I can find a recipe for "assiette lapins" in English (how good is your French?) - but if you have a description of the dish that you are seeking a recipe for it sure would help in narrowing down the "correct answer". :roll:

Assiette of rabbit with purée of carrots
and jus spiked with Chardonnay vinegar
(serves four)

By Anthony Demetre at Cater on Line

INGREDIENTS

2 whole rabbits
2-3tbs garlic confit
Sea salt
Fresh ground black pepper
50g crépinette
50g clarified butter
8 sun-dried tomatoes
Tarragon
Parsley
8 thin slices of Serrano ham
500ml chicken stock

For the sauce
100ml rabbit jus
1 dash Chardonnay vinegar
50ml double cream
Unsalted butter
Chopped tarragon

For the garnish
200g carrot purée
200g braised cabbage
20 glazed baby onions
4 deep-fried celery leaves

METHOD

Prepare the rabbit by skinning it and removing the legs, shoulders, kidney, liver, head and neck. Reserve head and neck and keep for stock.

Carefully bone saddle. Bone shoulder blade out of shoulder. Stuff boned shoulders with 2tbs garlic confit. Season. Wrap in crépinette and tie with butcher's string to keep in shape.

Sauté rabbit livers with a little clarified butter and season. Open out the boned saddle and cover with the livers (you may need to add extra livers), sun-dried tomatoes, fresh tarragon and parsley. Season and roll tightly. Wrap in Serrano ham and crépinette and tie with butcher's string until tight and firm.

Seal and cover rabbit shoulders in a little clarified butter and then braise for 30 minutes in seasoned chicken stock. Roast the saddle, also in a little clarified butter, and then finish roasting in a medium oven for 10-15 minutes. Rest.

Bring the rabbit jus to the boil and add a splash of Chardonnay vinegar and double cream. Monté with butter and finish with chopped tarragon. Check seasoning.

To assemble, cut string from rabbit shoulder, trim and clean bone. Cutstring from saddle and trim ends. In a hot pan, pan-fry rabbit kidneys, remove, and cut in half. Arrange on a plate with garnishes.

RABBIT ASSIETTE

it is a plate of rabbit like you said but the rabbit is cut into individual portions from different cuts of the rabbit..than sereved with differnt sausces and vegatables to suit the cuts of rabbit..iam jus wondering if any 1 has done anything like that.i see that recipe you have posted i have had that one my self,,but thankyou all same,,,could any one assist me further much appreicated ......13IZZ :P

Just reminded me that I haven't made rabbit in ages, and it's a favorite. One of those dishes, though, that I may get no one but hubby and me to eat. My favorite is a German preparation that I cannot remember the name of, but in English you hear it referred to as "jugged hare". Hmm. Where can I find a bunny for supper? I'll have to ask around. Husband loves pureed veggies, though, so if I find my bunny, I may try this one.

Do you all have any idea how fast rabbits multiply? The does can have babies every 6 weeks. As cute and cuddly as they are, they were meant to be food. Tame ones are OK, but if you can get ahold of the wild ones, they are so much tastier.

And yes, they do cry. So buy your rabbit already dressed.

That what I told my husband about the venison. I just want to see chunks of meat, not those big brown eyes.
Deer are beautiful, and we have "pets" that come up to the house all the time. I've seen as many as 10 at one time, browsing in our field.
But there are so many here that they have to be harvested. They are devastating to the farmers.

Here's a rabbit recipe that looks awfully good:

Fricasseed Rabbit Polonaise

* Place a 3 pound cut-up rabbit into a pot of boiling salted water and cook, skimming off scum until no more forms.
* Dice 1 carrot, 1 small parsnip, 1 slice celery, 1 leek, 1/4 head cabbage, 1 onion, and 1 kohlrabi **(all peeled and washed), and add to pot. When boiling resumes, reduce heat and cook covered until meat is tender. Remove rabbit and transfer to heat-proof dish.
* In saucepan, melt 5 Tablespoons butter, stir in 5 Tablespoons flour, and brown slightly. Add enough of the rabbit-vegetable stock to get a nice, pourable sauce, stir until lump-free, simmer several minutes and season to taste with salt, pepper, and sugar.
* Add the soup vegetables and simmer under cover 10 minutes. Then switch off heat and let stand.
* Beat 1 raw egg yolk and stir into sauce until fully blended.
* Sprinkle rabbit with chopped parsley, drench with vegetable sauce, and bake 15 minutes in 375 degree fahrenheit oven.

**Note: Use whatever vegetables you have on hand.

Last edited:
I've been craving some good braised rabbit, but can't find anyone who raises them any more, and none of the grocery stores around here have rabbit. :(

Constance said:
I've been craving some good braised rabbit, but can't find anyone who raises them any more, and none of the grocery stores around here have rabbit. :(
Just a shot in the dark thought but perhaps if you called your local park (forest)/wildlife service they might know who is the area stocks fresh game. I only say this because your post reminded me of a supper that my step dad once went to where the local fish and game board laid out a smorg of animals that had meet their maker (so to speak) but who were safe to eat. The thought seems a tad grusome to me, but supposedly he said it was good eating (he said they even had cougar meat there, could you imagine!)

Most Italian supermarkets carry rabbit.You can also ask your butcher where you buy your meat,they would be more than happy to bring it in for you,I'm sure.

All help is very much appreciated. Let's stay on topic and leave out the personal comments please. They don't add anything to helping the person find what they are looking for. People eat different things and rabbit is no different than any other animal. If a comment cannot be made to help COOKINGONGAS it probably doesn't needs to be left unsaid.

Please, when posting to threads, leave out personal comments.

I will be removing all posts not related to helping COOKINGONGAS find a recipe.

My favorite recipe is from Jane Butel's "HOtter than ****" cookbook (and, in fact, it isn't all that hot, just has a lot of different kinds of peppercorns in it). It is a recipe for Hasenpfeffer that I've found similar recipes for in many cookbooks. If you want the actual recipe, just let me know. It's basically a recipe for braising. I've never, ever had someone turn their nose up at it.

Rabbit Grand Mere Stucki with Mustard Sauce

Ingredients

1 rabbit, cut into pieces (if not available, you can use chicken)
1 tsp salt
1 dash white pepper, ground
3 Tsp oil
2 large onions, cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic
1 cup stock
1/2 cup white wine, dry
herbs to taste

sauce
2 Tsp butter
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tsp flour
2 Tsp mustard, Dijon
1/2 cup parsley, chopped fine, loosely packed in cup
2 Tsp white wine, dry
1/2 cup cream

Method

Salt and pepper rabbit pieces. Sauté rabbit light brown in oil, Remove rabbit, fry garlic and onions until turning translucent. Add stock, wine and herbs. Return rabbit to pot. Simmer covered for 1 hour. Remove rabbit pieces and keep them warm, filter cooking liquid for sauce.

Melt butter in saucepan. Add garlic and shortly fry until fragrant. Add flour, stirring and fry for about 2 minutes on low fire - do not brown flour. Let it (roux) cool down, add filtered cooking liquid, stir or whisk to dissolve flour/butter mix, bring to boil, stirring. Sauce should have a creamy consistency. You may have to add water if too much liquid evaporated during cooking. Add mustard, parsley and white wine.

It is impossible to quantify the correct quantity of mustard and white wine, as every brand of mustard is tasting differently and so are wines. You have to season this sauce, that is you add the mustard, then you taste and maybe add more mustard until you like the taste of your sauce (you want to taste the mustard), then you do the same with regard to the wine (not for the sauce to taste like wine, but use the wine to bring out flavour). When you are satisfied you add the cream and heat through, season. Serve rabbit and sauce separately, or return rabbit pieces back to sauce. Eat with Fettucine.

Back
Top Bottom