Raccoon, the other dark meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I grow lots of sweet corn, Uncle Bob--my garden is 60' x 60', and about a quarter of that is corn. I have only had one coon around (that did any damage) in the 7 years I have lived up here on the hill, and no damage to the garden. The bunnies ate my peas last year, but the only thing that eats the corn is earworms. Oh, and me.:ROFLMAO:

Ugh - while I consider myself a fairly adventurous diner, I also consider animals like possum, raccoon, groundhog, & squirrel not even a step up from a rat. I consider it more of a lateral step. A lateral step I choose not to take - lol!!

I think to be clear we should have a disclaimer against trying this on city critters... they live on garbage and that is not good for you or them if you eat em!

I grow lots of sweet corn, Uncle Bob--my garden is 60' x 60', and about a quarter of that is corn. I have only had one coon around (that did any damage) in the 7 years I have lived up here on the hill, and no damage to the garden. The bunnies ate my peas last year, but the only thing that eats the corn is earworms. Oh, and me.:ROFLMAO:

Count yourself lucky! I gave up on Sweet Corn --never planted much anyway--The coons would absolutely destroy a 8/12 rows x 200' patch in a few nights...Now it's mostly Pencil Cob - a dent corn. Kinda like the old Shoe Peg. It makes great roastin ears, and excellent meal. However the Masked Bandits like it too. I've tried electric fences etc...They always seem to sneak in...I think they just endure the pain:LOL: ... Then don't get me started on deer!:mad: One year the only way I ate the corn was killing the (corn fed) deer. ;)

Count yourself lucky! I gave up on Sweet Corn --never planted much anyway--The coons would absolutely destroy a 8/12 rows x 200' patch in a few nights...Now it's mostly Pencil Cob - a dent corn. Kinda like the old Shoe Peg. It makes great roastin ears, and excellent meal. However the Masked Bandits like it too. I've tried electric fences etc...They always seem to sneak in...I think they just endure the pain:LOL: ... Then don't get me started on deer!:mad: One year the only way I ate the corn was killing the (corn fed) deer. ;)

I know it is irritating to say the least when the deer eat your crop, but imagine this:
Before my wife started her own professional gardening business she worked for another guy that did the same thing. He had a client that wanted a big ol flowery pretty native garden, but he had lots of deer in his neck of the woods.
Well, my wife warned him that the deer would take one look at that garden and see a buffet, but her boss wanted the job and didn't care what happened after he installed it, so he contradicted her and said hey no problem let's put it in. $4,500.00 later he had a great looking buffet, which he found out a month later when the deer ate the entire garden. And no, her boss would not insure or replace any of the plants citing a disclaimer against animal damage...
Needless to say, this guy is now my wife's client....

Ew... Don't they have scent glands that would ruin the meat?

Are you thinking of skunks?

no reason why raccoon wouldn't be good to eat if prepared properly. I would eat it.

Oppossums are another story altogether. Tried it once. Eeuw. It was greasy.

Ugh - while I consider myself a fairly adventurous diner, I also consider animals like possum, raccoon, groundhog, & squirrel not even a step up from a rat. I consider it more of a lateral step. A lateral step I choose not to take - lol!!

Possum...Tried it fried once as a youngster...After a couple of bites, I threw it out in the yard of the man who gave it to me...His old dog (that looked as if he hadn't eaten in a week) went over, took one sniff, went and laid back down without even trying it...:LOL: No more possum for Uncle Bob!!

Groundhog? They don't live around here...Uncle Bob thinks he doesn't want to go there either.

Coon, and Tree Rats:ermm: That are young and properly cleaned and cooked can be good! Mostly they make good deer camp fair, for a bunch of guys that have had a few (?) dwinks;)

Ya need not fear Miss Breezy...If I invite you to dinner ya want have to worry about Uncle Bob serving you varmints! :LOL:

Are you thinking of skunks?

no reason why raccoon wouldn't be good to eat if prepared properly. I would eat it.

Oppossums are another story altogether. Tried it once. Eeuw. It was greasy.

Lot's of critters like that have scent glands. Skunks just happen to squirt them when frightened...

Well, then that means more for you all who find these critters to be good eats. I don't think I could make myself eat it. Same with deer--I tried--but I kept thinking of bambi and the deer in my backyard. Same with rabbit--my mom tried it once and it stuck in her throat when someone told her what it was. I guess I am only so adventurous or hungry.

edited

You'd be surprised at what you would kill and eat if your children were hungry.
People kill and eat rats from the rice paddies of southeast Asia.

Squirrel and rabbit were common in my mother's roaster during hunting season. Didn't care for coon after the first time I tried it. Probably poorly prepared. Deep fried Thumper is a real treat in my book, and venison jerky is to die for. My nephew usually gets 4-5 deer each year, and loves his Uncle Joe.:LOL: BTW, he graduated from Pittsburgh Culinary.

Being a chicken farmer :LOL:, I hates raccoons to pieces. Get rid of them any way you can, including braising, stewing or frying.
The ironies in life. I have moved the chickens to a fenced yard (the farm was partially fenced, but with page wire--they could wander), only to realize there is a momma coon nearby (I can hear her chittering and the hens and Rocky go crazy--this is in the middle of the day--coons are opportunists). I also serve on the Board of a wildlife sanctuary that rescues orphaned coons and relocates them. Do I get out the shotgun or the live trap? I so don't want a coon this close. The other irony, never have had any coons this close--now that I brought the girls and Rocky here, there is a coon and her babies (and probably a daddy, cousins, siblings, etc.) close. I've asked for assistance live trapping momma and babies or doing things to deter her--but come on, chickens--I bet most coons would walk/march/climb through any trick thrown at them for the opportunity to bite off a chicken head. Crap, crap, crap. Now I have to spend every day on my deck with a shotgun loaded for coon...So uncle Bob, what exactly is that recipe?

Last edited:
Oh crap. Coons are so smart, they can open/unscrew anything. They enjoy unscrewing and drinking from our hummingbird feeder.

Havahart has some good live traps, you might also rent traps from the DNR. Bait with canned tuna. Get them the heck out of there!

Good luck, perhaps the shotgun will be best. They're usually nocturnal, so if you see them during the day, chances might be they're sick or rabid.

Oh crap. Coons are so smart, they can open/unscrew anything. They enjoy unscrewing and drinking from our hummingbird feeder.

Havahart has some good live traps, you might also rent traps from the DNR. Bait with canned tuna. Get them the heck out of there!

Good luck, perhaps the shotgun will be best. They're usually nocturnal, so if you see them during the day, chances might be they're sick or rabid.
They move their babies at night, but they are opportunists. And, my chickens would be easy prey since the chickens are confined. Yes, the chickens can run up on the deck, catch a tree branch, go in the coop, but raccoons are quite able. I hope to (a) find the den, (b) live trap momma, (c) grab the babies, and relocate. Otherwise, there is always the 12-gauge.

Baked Raccoon

1 Raccoon
2 Strips Bacon or salt pork
1 Apple
2 Bay Leaves
Salt & Pepper

Trim all fat from raccoon and parboil in salted water for 30 minutes. Drain,(save 2 cups water for later), Place meat in roasting pan, Rub salt & pepper generously inside and out. Quater apple and place inside cavity, lay bacon or salt pork strips over the top. Add 2 cups of the water used for pareboiling, place in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours. baste occationally.

From the N.R.A Cookbook.
Sounds good to me as long as you leave out the coon.;)

They love the hummingbird feeders and The SOB's have run off with at least a half a dozen suet feeders. :mad:

I don't like the fuzzy bandits any more then tree rats. The only difference is I'd eat a tree rat. :chef:

:LOL::LOL: leave out the coon :LOL:

I have to wire the bird feeders to the posts. Every winter I rediscover feeders and such in the woods that the bandits have snitched.

The girls may need to go into their dog kennels at night, with a padlock. Coons can figure out a combination lock!

Last edited:
:LOL::LOL: leave out the coon :LOL:

I have to wire the bird feeders to the posts. Every winter I rediscover feeders and such in the woods that the bandits have snitched.

The girls may need to go into their dog kennels at night, with a padlock. Coons can figure out a combination lock!
The kennels are double-doored (go in a door, and then another door into the kennels). Unfortunately, where Rocky has opted to go with a couple of his hens, only has a latch. That the coons could open. I better put a padlock on that as well tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. I'd be careful. I saw a couple of the rascals looking at my locksmithing book the other day. Don't leave any soap around for them to make a mold.

CWS, Mr. Remmington is better then any padlock. The trouble is staying awake long enough to introduce them to him.

I don't know. I'd be careful. I saw a couple of the rascals looking at my locksmithing book the other day. Don't leave any soap around for them to make a mold.

CWS, Mr. Remmington is better then any padlock. The trouble is staying awake long enough to introduce them to him.
I have no trouble staying awake...it is my aim that I worry about...I haven't shot a gun in over 30 years! Unless it is like riding a bike (come to think of it, that's another thing I haven't done in a long time...).

Heh. If the neighbors were surprised by Rocky at 5:30 a.m. I would bet they'd be thrilled with Mr. Remington at 11 p.m.!

Back
Top Bottom