"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 01-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Being a chicken farmer , I hates raccoons to pieces. Get rid of them any way you can, including braising, stewing or frying.
I second that. No problems with them since I moved to the city, but I used to live at the edge of the woods, and keeping them out of garbage cans was nearly impossible. I had a burned-out metal fridge box with the garbage cans inside, chain link fence on top, and cinder blocks on top of that and they still got in there. But I think I'd pass on eating them.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

yukkity yuk yuk, gag city, no thanks, no way, not ever....

kadesma

Old 01-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
Executive Chef

I haven't tried 'coon myself. One of our dishwashers, years ago, brought in a cleaned 'coon and had us cook it in the smoker for him.

Of all the diseases that were mentioned in the comments of that article, the one that should really make people concerned about their 'coon is trichonosis. Animals get that by eating trash. That's why pork was also supposed to be cooked "well done", to kill the trichonella worm. But, bear meat and 'coon meat also needs to be cooked extremely well, to kill off the same worm.

I really like how they described the cooking process, two hours parboiling, then roast or smoke the critter.

I live out in the sticks, and have a large wooded area just across the street. I have yet to have my garbage invaded by anything other than the dogs down the street. We notice more coyotes than anything else.

Squirrels are even easier to take care of. Steel-toed boots, a jar of peanut butter, a slingshot, and a bag of marbles. Heck, that's legal inside city limits! Just make sure you have a hunting license.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #14
Head Chef

I have eaten coon, and it was fine, but I love all kinds of game--squirrel, bunny, deer, bear.

I don't like what they can do to chickens, and I don't like the fact that they can carry rabies and a particularly nasty roundworm that can migrate to the human eye or brain.

Knock wood, but I have not had any trouble with them in the garden. The potholes the dogs dig in the garden probably keep the coons away!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowgrass
Knock wood, but I have not had any trouble with them in the garden. The potholes the dogs dig in the garden probably keep the coons away!
Plant several rows of sweet corn....they'll come from the next county to eat supper!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I used to say I'd try anything once... but I've smelled just killed coon and I don't know if my nose would let me eat it. Maybe, it was ill or something but this guy didn't smell like a pretty rose! YUCK!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post

A small, young 'coon, cleaned properly is a treat in a braising pot. With BBQ sauce added towards the end, the tender meat makes a delicious sandwich. In a roux based gravy it is very good served over rice or mashed potatoes. While not weekly fare at Uncle Bob's house, it has been enjoyed on occasion.

Enjoy!!
My grandpa and grandma loved coon and fixed it like you are describing. I didn't cause I don't like dark meat.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:05 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Plant several rows of sweet corn....they'll come from the next county to eat supper!!
Grain-fed 'coon. UB, you may be on to something!
Old 01-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

here in nebraska I have had everything from rattlesnake, to carp, and big ol bull frogs, but racoons new to me. I'll have to look into that though since I know they are around here alot. to bad skunk wouldnt be to good, because sometimes we run into those out by the fields. they are scarrier than a rattle snake to me. When we are out in the country, somehow they always find me to. And i go runnin for the hills
Old 01-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #20
Master Chef

Growing up in the country I have had squirrel, coon, rabbit, deer, quail, pheasant, etc etc etc... if you can shoot it we can find a way to cook it up and eat it. In fact, that was a sort of 'law of the land' we had growing up.. never shoot anything you don't intend to eat.. that included pigeon downed by BB guns...last time we did that!

Tags
None