"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 01-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #21
Head Chef

I grow lots of sweet corn, Uncle Bob--my garden is 60' x 60', and about a quarter of that is corn. I have only had one coon around (that did any damage) in the 7 years I have lived up here on the hill, and no damage to the garden. The bunnies ate my peas last year, but the only thing that eats the corn is earworms. Oh, and me.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #22
Master Chef

Ugh - while I consider myself a fairly adventurous diner, I also consider animals like possum, raccoon, groundhog, & squirrel not even a step up from a rat. I consider it more of a lateral step. A lateral step I choose not to take - lol!!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #23
Master Chef

I think to be clear we should have a disclaimer against trying this on city critters... they live on garbage and that is not good for you or them if you eat em!
Old 01-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I grow lots of sweet corn, Uncle Bob--my garden is 60' x 60', and about a quarter of that is corn. I have only had one coon around (that did any damage) in the 7 years I have lived up here on the hill, and no damage to the garden. The bunnies ate my peas last year, but the only thing that eats the corn is earworms. Oh, and me.
Count yourself lucky! I gave up on Sweet Corn --never planted much anyway--The coons would absolutely destroy a 8/12 rows x 200' patch in a few nights...Now it's mostly Pencil Cob - a dent corn. Kinda like the old Shoe Peg. It makes great roastin ears, and excellent meal. However the Masked Bandits like it too. I've tried electric fences etc...They always seem to sneak in...I think they just endure the pain ... Then don't get me started on deer! One year the only way I ate the corn was killing the (corn fed) deer.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Count yourself lucky! I gave up on Sweet Corn --never planted much anyway--The coons would absolutely destroy a 8/12 rows x 200' patch in a few nights...Now it's mostly Pencil Cob - a dent corn. Kinda like the old Shoe Peg. It makes great roastin ears, and excellent meal. However the Masked Bandits like it too. I've tried electric fences etc...They always seem to sneak in...I think they just endure the pain ... Then don't get me started on deer! One year the only way I ate the corn was killing the (corn fed) deer.
I know it is irritating to say the least when the deer eat your crop, but imagine this:
Before my wife started her own professional gardening business she worked for another guy that did the same thing. He had a client that wanted a big ol flowery pretty native garden, but he had lots of deer in his neck of the woods.
Well, my wife warned him that the deer would take one look at that garden and see a buffet, but her boss wanted the job and didn't care what happened after he installed it, so he contradicted her and said hey no problem let's put it in. $4,500.00 later he had a great looking buffet, which he found out a month later when the deer ate the entire garden. And no, her boss would not insure or replace any of the plants citing a disclaimer against animal damage...
Needless to say, this guy is now my wife's client....
Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #26
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
Ew... Don't they have scent glands that would ruin the meat?
Are you thinking of skunks?

no reason why raccoon wouldn't be good to eat if prepared properly. I would eat it.

Oppossums are another story altogether. Tried it once. Eeuw. It was greasy.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Ugh - while I consider myself a fairly adventurous diner, I also consider animals like possum, raccoon, groundhog, & squirrel not even a step up from a rat. I consider it more of a lateral step. A lateral step I choose not to take - lol!!
Possum...Tried it fried once as a youngster...After a couple of bites, I threw it out in the yard of the man who gave it to me...His old dog (that looked as if he hadn't eaten in a week) went over, took one sniff, went and laid back down without even trying it... No more possum for Uncle Bob!!

Groundhog? They don't live around here...Uncle Bob thinks he doesn't want to go there either.

Coon, and Tree Rats That are young and properly cleaned and cooked can be good! Mostly they make good deer camp fair, for a bunch of guys that have had a few (?) dwinks

Ya need not fear Miss Breezy...If I invite you to dinner ya want have to worry about Uncle Bob serving you varmints!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Are you thinking of skunks?

no reason why raccoon wouldn't be good to eat if prepared properly. I would eat it.

Oppossums are another story altogether. Tried it once. Eeuw. It was greasy.
Lot's of critters like that have scent glands. Skunks just happen to squirt them when frightened...
Old 01-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #29
Head Chef

Well, then that means more for you all who find these critters to be good eats. I don't think I could make myself eat it. Same with deer--I tried--but I kept thinking of bambi and the deer in my backyard. Same with rabbit--my mom tried it once and it stuck in her throat when someone told her what it was. I guess I am only so adventurous or hungry.

edited
Old 01-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #30
Master Chef

You'd be surprised at what you would kill and eat if your children were hungry.
People kill and eat rats from the rice paddies of southeast Asia.

Tags
None