"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 01-19-2009, 10:53 PM   #31
Head Chef

Squirrel and rabbit were common in my mother's roaster during hunting season. Didn't care for coon after the first time I tried it. Probably poorly prepared. Deep fried Thumper is a real treat in my book, and venison jerky is to die for. My nephew usually gets 4-5 deer each year, and loves his Uncle Joe. BTW, he graduated from Pittsburgh Culinary.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Being a chicken farmer , I hates raccoons to pieces. Get rid of them any way you can, including braising, stewing or frying.
The ironies in life. I have moved the chickens to a fenced yard (the farm was partially fenced, but with page wire--they could wander), only to realize there is a momma coon nearby (I can hear her chittering and the hens and Rocky go crazy--this is in the middle of the day--coons are opportunists). I also serve on the Board of a wildlife sanctuary that rescues orphaned coons and relocates them. Do I get out the shotgun or the live trap? I so don't want a coon this close. The other irony, never have had any coons this close--now that I brought the girls and Rocky here, there is a coon and her babies (and probably a daddy, cousins, siblings, etc.) close. I've asked for assistance live trapping momma and babies or doing things to deter her--but come on, chickens--I bet most coons would walk/march/climb through any trick thrown at them for the opportunity to bite off a chicken head. Crap, crap, crap. Now I have to spend every day on my deck with a shotgun loaded for coon...So uncle Bob, what exactly is that recipe?

Old 05-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh crap. Coons are so smart, they can open/unscrew anything. They enjoy unscrewing and drinking from our hummingbird feeder.

Havahart has some good live traps, you might also rent traps from the DNR. Bait with canned tuna. Get them the heck out of there!

Good luck, perhaps the shotgun will be best. They're usually nocturnal, so if you see them during the day, chances might be they're sick or rabid.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh crap. Coons are so smart, they can open/unscrew anything. They enjoy unscrewing and drinking from our hummingbird feeder.

Havahart has some good live traps, you might also rent traps from the DNR. Bait with canned tuna. Get them the heck out of there!

Good luck, perhaps the shotgun will be best. They're usually nocturnal, so if you see them during the day, chances might be they're sick or rabid.
They move their babies at night, but they are opportunists. And, my chickens would be easy prey since the chickens are confined. Yes, the chickens can run up on the deck, catch a tree branch, go in the coop, but raccoons are quite able. I hope to (a) find the den, (b) live trap momma, (c) grab the babies, and relocate. Otherwise, there is always the 12-gauge.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #35
Head Chef

Baked Raccoon

1 Raccoon
2 Strips Bacon or salt pork
1 Apple
2 Bay Leaves
Salt & Pepper

Trim all fat from raccoon and parboil in salted water for 30 minutes. Drain,(save 2 cups water for later), Place meat in roasting pan, Rub salt & pepper generously inside and out. Quater apple and place inside cavity, lay bacon or salt pork strips over the top. Add 2 cups of the water used for pareboiling, place in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours. baste occationally.

From the N.R.A Cookbook.
Sounds good to me as long as you leave out the coon.

They love the hummingbird feeders and The SOB's have run off with at least a half a dozen suet feeders.

I don't like the fuzzy bandits any more then tree rats. The only difference is I'd eat a tree rat.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

leave out the coon

I have to wire the bird feeders to the posts. Every winter I rediscover feeders and such in the woods that the bandits have snitched.

The girls may need to go into their dog kennels at night, with a padlock. Coons can figure out a combination lock!
Old 05-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
leave out the coon

I have to wire the bird feeders to the posts. Every winter I rediscover feeders and such in the woods that the bandits have snitched.

The girls may need to go into their dog kennels at night, with a padlock. Coons can figure out a combination lock!
The kennels are double-doored (go in a door, and then another door into the kennels). Unfortunately, where Rocky has opted to go with a couple of his hens, only has a latch. That the coons could open. I better put a padlock on that as well tonight.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #38
Head Chef

I don't know. I'd be careful. I saw a couple of the rascals looking at my locksmithing book the other day. Don't leave any soap around for them to make a mold.

CWS, Mr. Remmington is better then any padlock. The trouble is staying awake long enough to introduce them to him.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
I don't know. I'd be careful. I saw a couple of the rascals looking at my locksmithing book the other day. Don't leave any soap around for them to make a mold.

CWS, Mr. Remmington is better then any padlock. The trouble is staying awake long enough to introduce them to him.
I have no trouble staying awake...it is my aim that I worry about...I haven't shot a gun in over 30 years! Unless it is like riding a bike (come to think of it, that's another thing I haven't done in a long time...).
Old 05-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Heh. If the neighbors were surprised by Rocky at 5:30 a.m. I would bet they'd be thrilled with Mr. Remington at 11 p.m.!

Tags
None