Raccoon, the other dark meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heh. If the neighbors were surprised by Rocky at 5:30 a.m. I would bet they'd be thrilled with Mr. Remington at 11 p.m.!
I was thinking more likely midnight or 1:00 a.m. That's when my dad goes coon hunting and darn near gives me a heart attack because he tends to shoot from right beside the window of the room in which I sleep when I'm there.

How fortuitous, I just came across my Roadkill Ideas Cooking List. Raccoon and Garlic Stew, or Raccoon with Tomato and Radiatorre Pasta.

"Unless it is like riding a bike (come to think of it, that's another thing I haven't done in a long time...). "

You and me both. I think I'd fall off as soon as I'd try to move forward. :ohmy:

"I would bet they'd be thrilled with Mr. Remington at 11 p.m.! "

Hey, Mr. Remmington can be a suprise at any time of day. I'm lucky that my neighbors are well versed in his sound and don't mind at all whatever the time of day or night.

"he tends to shoot from right beside the window of the room in which I sleep when I'm there."

I can't think of a better wake up call.:LOL:

Princess, You need to be careful of that roadkill. ;) The last roadkill I had was a rabbit but I ran it over myself on my motercycle so I know it met the Health standards our wonderful government sets to keep us all safe. :D It wasn't over 4 hours between 40 degrees and 160 degrees.

"Unless it is like riding a bike (come to think of it, that's another thing I haven't done in a long time...). "

You and me both. I think I'd fall off as soon as I'd try to move forward. :ohmy:

"I would bet they'd be thrilled with Mr. Remington at 11 p.m.! "

Hey, Mr. Remmington can be a suprise at any time of day. I'm lucky that my neighbors are well versed in his sound and don't mind at all whatever the time of day or night.

"he tends to shoot from right beside the window of the room in which I sleep when I'm there."

I can't think of a better wake up call.:LOL:

Princess, You need to be careful of that roadkill. ;) The last roadkill I had was a rabbit but I ran it over myself on my motercycle so I know it met the Health standards our wonderful government sets to keep us all safe. :D It wasn't over 4 hours between 40 degrees and 160 degrees.

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

The only nice thing about digging up all this old weird threads is that you see old names of peoples gone by.

I cannot imagine eating those pesky critters. They hide out at the dumpster at work as we are close to the river, it's quite a suprise at 5 am when I occasionaly have to go in for early morning baking. There has been some talk around about eating horse, has anyone ever heard of that?

I cannot imagine eating those pesky critters. They hide out at the dumpster at work as we are close to the river, it's quite a suprise at 5 am when I occasionaly have to go in for early morning baking. There has been some talk around about eating horse, has anyone ever heard of that?
Horse is delicious. I only had it once, in Denmark.

the best salami are made out of horse meat.
You can buy horse meat sausages in Quebec. I went to a BBQ at a friend's in Montreal a few years ago where they were on the menu. I was repulsed. There as some things I would not consider eating--horse is one of them, cat or dog are also on that list. Unless I were on the brink of starvation, I would not consider eating these faithful friends. If I'm not careful, chicken might end up on that list too!

I couldn't resist posting this YouTube link. You've probably already seen it.
Raccoon Willie: I Hate You! - YouTube
I watched a couple of the videos. Raccoons are not domestic animals. They belong in their natural habitat. Unfortunately, with the increase in urbanization, we humans have taken over a lot of their habitat. Raccoons are opportunists. They are also very destructive. It is to the species detriment that as babies they are so darned cute. There are ways to deter coons from one's property (besides using a firearm). We figure when we plant the sweet corn field, a percentage will go to the coons. What I am not prepared to do is sacrifice any of my hens to coons. We are working on a plan for getting the coon to move (with her babies) to protect my chickens. But you can bet when I hear "that distress sound" Rocky and Myrtle make, I bolt it outside to make sure Momma coon isn't hunting my hens. The sad thing is, coons don't eat chickens--they just bite the heads off. How awful is that? If you're going to slaughter something, be prepared to eat it.

Coons can be entirely tame, but they really can't be real domestic. As that guy knows, they can't be left loose in a house unsupervised. There's a saying around here that someone "is like a pet coon," if they can't keep their hands off things and usually mess up what they touch.

In my youth, my roommate and I rescued a coon from a cop who had pulled him from a small tree in town and was going to take him to the woods before the coon peed in his car, moving him to want to shoot the coon. We recognized the coon as having escaped from a squalid cage where he had been on display at a gas station. We kept him at home until my roommate went for a visit to his hometown where he had a place in the country to turn him out where he wouldn't be too abruptly thrown onto entirely his own devices. He was friendly and completely tamed, but was only as domestic as it was possible for a coon to be, and we learned the hard way about pet coons in the house. It was pretty funny, though, giving him a piece of bread and watching him try to wash it first. He was a happier and well nourished raccoon when he went back to the woods.

I had my second grade teacher read Stirling North's " Rascal" to us, and this inspired one of my best friends from grade school, who had a dad who was a hunter, to bring home 5 baby coons after the mom was shot. I remember carting them around, wrapped in towels. They were adorable, but bit and scratched the heck out of us.

Sorry, folks, but I serve (and have since 2005) on the board of a wildlife sanctuary.
Raccoons, skunks, foxes, etc., are not intended to be pets and will revert to their "wild" instinctual behavior. Trying to keep them as pets is wrong. That's all I'm going to say on that. Except, I think of the woman in CT who had her face ripped off by her "pet" chimp. Here in Ontario, not only is it wrong, it is against the law.

What did it taste like?
It tasted like good quality red meat. It was very tender. It was served as steaks.

The person who served it to me didn't realize it was horse meat. When my mother told him a week later (she had seen it at the same butcher shop, on special), he went to the washroom and threw up. :LOL:

As a kid a friend of mine used to get a baby coon every year from one of the barns on his farm and keep is as a pet of sorts until it grew up.

Coons love eggs and we used to give this one eggs and enjoyed watching it break the eggs and eat the contents. Well my friends mother had these marble eggs in a basket and we decided to give the coon one. It was quite a site to watch the little fellow try as hard as he could to open that egg. He must have spent a 1/2 hour pounding at that thing. He gave up and he never fell for that trick again.

And to keep this on a cooking topic.

Barbeque Racoon

1 Racoon
Barbeque sauce

Cut up racoon and bake at 350 degrees with salt,pepper,and onions until tender. 1/2 to 1 hour. When tender add barbecue sause and put back into a low temperature oven,basting with sauce, for a while longer.

Barbeque Sauce

1 Onion
1/2 cup ketchup
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons vinegar
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt

Larger coons may require more sauce. ;)

Back
Top Bottom